IGNORED

Floating Points - Crush

thumbass

7 minutes ago, donquixote said:

I'm detecting love from the thumbass camp for sure! ?

yesssss holy shit i love FP so much. Only discovered him last year through his shit like Kuiper etc. His Jazzy side appeals to me since I am a big jazz fan. The more IDM like approach he is taking here is an even bigger plus.

• Like 1

Bias and everything after it are pretty damn good.  My friend recommended this, and I can see the placement with Jon Hopkins, Jamie XX, Four Tet, etc (and I listen to them, too) but there's a sparseness here laid out in every track.  I haven't hooked deeply into it yet.  It's still great though?

Sea-Watch leading into Apoptoses is a beautiful thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this year I stated that the new 808 State album was the best album of the year. I have changed my mind on that. I'm pretty sure I like this one better. Holy shit, Floating Points does it again. Just like Elaenia, I instantly fell in love with every track on this thing. It's way more aggresive and dancefloor-heavy than Elaenia but it has it's stunningly beautiful opener. The way the album shifts and changes from a stunning orchestration like Falaise into the stuttering rythms of Last Bloom and Anasickmodular is just crazy. The analogue feel is great as well. From the weird and experimental Karakul to the insanely beautiful Sea-Watch, every track has it's own personality. Best album of the year no doubt. Tracks like Environments, Bias and Birth make the switches between the dancefloor and the orchestration complete. Absolutely worth getting on CD or LP just like Elaenia.

• Like 1

This has become a flawless record for me. I've never listened to any track in isolation--the minute "Falaise" begins, I get really excited to hear every last second unfold until the end. It's a masterpiece. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, xxx said:

This has become a flawless record for me. I've never listened to any track in isolation--the minute "Falaise" begins, I get really excited to hear every last second unfold until the end. It's a masterpiece. 

third time youve changed your opinion in this thread LOL

Hedging against hyperbole. It's not even advisable to post about a record until at least a week or so living with it. Albums are like people. Turns out that it did definitely deserve all my initial flattery.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Loving this too, and glad Spotify recommended Sea Watch to me, which is how I discovered the LP. 

Glorious buttery majestic orchestral jazzy minimal all at once! No shame in RDJ reference-dropping here either. Undeniable SAW II vibes for me with some of these tones and the reverb.

I think of this as that sort of that rich academic "music destined for NPR to cover" vibe but with much more intrigue than their run of the mill "guy who bangs on pots and pans and records whales in New Zealand and uses AI to blend it together" or something.

It's a future classic.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fucking hell this new "Bias" 12" with the Mayfield Depot Mix. It's blended with some crowd noise and live input from his recent outings. The proverbial (Acid Mix) that oldheads would recognize haha. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

This would deserve it's own thread if it hadn't been out for a while already. You guy's need to check out the new album FP has made with saxophone player Pharoah Sanders and the London Symphony Orchestra. It's fucking beautiful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Probably get round to it. Lot of folks seem to blowing their ballsack over this. A heavy 9 out of 10 for the gush. I’m a bit cynical. Basically because there’s a jazz saxophonist on it, which means in my book a big neon sign spelling out the word AVOID. However though I play up to being a walking, talking Neanderthal, here I am in an IDM forum. The body and face of a caveman but with a swollen cranium of the Mekon. In the inner space of that swollen cranium is the IDM brain cell. Fluttering happily around like a the last butterfly on Earth. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Attempted to listen to this. Switched it off halfway through the 6th track (the one that everyone is frothing at the mouth about, like babbling baboons). Just like every other ‘classic’ jazz record I’ve forced myself to endure, it was totally and utterly fucking boring. 

Edited by beerwolf

23 hours ago, ascdi said:

Is it wrong that your post made me want to check this out more ?

?

Feel free to froth at the jaws with your fellow babbling jazz baboons. I was into this Floating Points dude when he first appeared. Now every music critic chin/cock stroker is blowing the contents of their ballsacks over him. Which 9 times out of 10 means the record is shit. There’s a reason why Richard won a Grammy for Syro. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Haha 3

• 1 year later...

Haven't seen anything about this on here yet but the three singles he's released so far this year are pretty crackin'.

https://floatingpoints.bandcamp.com/album/vocoder

https://floatingpoints.bandcamp.com/album/grammar

https://floatingpoints.bandcamp.com/album/problems

Especially liking the last one atm

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2021 at 10:40 AM, thumbass said:

This would deserve it's own thread if it hadn't been out for a while already. You guy's need to check out the new album FP has made with saxophone player Pharoah Sanders and the London Symphony Orchestra. It's fucking beautiful.

I wound up sleeping on this pretty hard....well, 3 years nearly. I think mostly because I projected a cringe factor and I didn't want to take the chance. I bought it in January and it's a really remarkable record. I can't listen to it too much because the melancholy is overwhelming. Even though Floating Points sort of maps in my brain as "extended jazz house bangers", he's actually pretty mournful/pensive/etc melodically. This album is like peak bummer with that single motif running across the full movement but it's undeniably great. I try not to be very "meta" with my music but this record and "Blackstar" by David Bowie always offer a punch in the balls with the great tunes because you know it's a wrap. Bowie used word play in "Dollar Days" if you listen:

"I'm dying to....push their backs against the grain" and then concludes the prechorus with "don't believe for just one second I'm forgetting you/I'm trying to/I'm dying to(o?)" with the last lyric working either way: "to" as a preposition or "too" as a literal statement about his terminal illness. I think the sax is the most emotional and expressive instruments we have. This is full on projection but there is something known as "terminal restlessness" that happens just before death where people get antsy, agitated, confused or completely delerious. That's what Pharoah's playing makes me think of since it alternates between those triplet-like loops and longer wails. I'm not even really scared of my own death and many days, I'd welcome the inconvenience but there's something about the vulnerability of enjoying music that gives you the full-on weepies with respect to finalities, swan songs and your last train stop. I think this was about the best send-off possible. 

On happier notes, ol' Floaty Pants will be at the Movement festival in Detroit in a couple of months and I'm stoked to see what he brings!

• Like 1