IGNORED

Andy Stott - Never The Right Time

This is working nicely for me in the spring vibes, good poppy stuff.

Edit: and good good stuff. I guess this is maybe a bit too straightforward for some of you lot? I'll keep this in rotation untill I tire of it. I suspect it won't have the longevity of some of his other stuff, but that is fiiiine.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 2

i ... like this??? apart from that extremely embarrassing video. 

parts of it are like a tame impala album but reduced down and filtered so only a few elements remain

Edited by dr lopez
  • Like 2

Quick first impressions: Didn't sound like the striking change of direction the press release/promo had implied. Just sounds like he's wiped his tracks clean of most of the crackle and grime that had become something of a trademark.

He hasnt got rid of the maaasive lush reverbs though and if anything, leans into these more now hes lost the smog.

Still plenty of beats, overall minimal arrangements and very pure synth patches, that and the big verb makes it sound a bit like a modern day This Mortal Coil.

• Like 6

Subtle Stott.

I wasn't sure at first. Given that I've played this mostly in the works van this week, the more subtle arrangements get drowned out by the droning of driving but my oh my, when you get to tracks like; Never The Right Time, Repetitive Strain and Answers, it CLAPS.

I find myself come to a stop at traffic lights and the van shakes with the amount of reverb Andy lays down, I love it. He somehow melds that dance element with really day-dreamy tones that sits just right when playing this on the way back from work.

I think there's always something to like from his releases and whilst I think some of his 'earlier' stuff is very consistent, I'll always anticipate an Andy Stott release. Head like a fucking orange.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, fairuzosman said:

The record arrived yesterday! A week late than streaming platforms but worth waiting

And it came with a surprise white label. Only 1 track though but absolutely worth it 

No info about the artist but It sounds like Stott tho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fairuzosman said:

The record arrived yesterday! A week late than streaming platforms but worth waiting

And it came with a surprise white label. Only 1 track though but absolutely worth it 

still waiting for mine, hopefully tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, zaizai said:

No info about the artist but It sounds like Stott tho

Yeah it’s this track. I think he played this ages ago live 

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/7aXXrZMzbidimcHz7

Had no idea it’s going to be this song. It’s perfect! Another one too add to my Arthur Russell collection lol 

• Like 1

Been spinning the CD today.

Its a nice album - certainly a slight departure from murky fog Stott of the past decade (which I love).

The drums on the title track are super lush. Definitely are more upbeat / spring vibe on this album and it does feel like an evolution of his sound (I don't think he could have got deeper down the rabbit hole of murk without losing what makes his sound "Stott", so going upbeat and slightly poppy was the right choice imo)

I quite like the video; its not cringe?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This album is so dope, I second the opinion that it gets better with every listen.

Stott is so good at pushing forward his really unique sound. Not unlike autechre; where you hear a track and right away can tell it is an autechre track, but they are always methodically probing into new territory and pushing the parameters of their own sound.

Loving the reverb drenched tones and the ambient tracks; they make the drum work stand out when it comes back around.

• Like 2