IGNORED

Boomkat crawls further up its own ass

kuniklo

11 hours ago, ignatius said:

stupid masculinesss americannesss. WOMP WOMP WOMP.  zap MONSTER TRUCKS!

Wow. I’m too lazy to click on 90% of YouTube clips. Oh Lord that’s fucking lol. At first I thought it was a piss take clip but then it dawns it’s actually serious....Wow...

All hail the dinosaur!! Like my 4 year old nephew.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Haha 1

This is a joke, right?

I can kind of understand why some IDM albums could be considered macho posturing, but Atol Scrap isn't one of them.

In fact, it's one of my all time favorites, so I'm now deeply offended.

56 minutes ago, auxien said:

pretty clear a lot of y’all ain’t actually read the ‘review’

Jeez, right ?! I know attention spans are terrible nowadays but it's only a few paragraphs.... Maybe I'll put things in colour to help.

Here we go Red = Bad thing, Green = Good thing:

It's fair to say that for the most part, IDM hasn't aged well. When it worked, its sounds were absorbed into more forgiving structures (hello trap and grime) and when it didn't, the mess of overly masculine sound design (ie, greyscale) and underwhelming cycling non-melodies irritated more than they impressed, inching closer to history's trashcan with each passing year. Intelligent was a gross overstatement, and if you couldn't dance to it, what exactly was the purpose?

But certain records have retained their power, sounding better now than they did two decades ago. "Atol Scrap" found an audience when it was released in 1999, but somehow seems more relevant now with its confident fusion of faded dub-techno flutter, gut-punching trance arpeggios and "Chiastic Slide"-era percussive burps. At the time the album's closeness to Autechre was a sticking point for some listeners, but now it seems almost inconsequential. Who isn't influenced by Autechre, anyway? 

Uwe Zahn's construction is inspired, but unique in its own way. Standout track 'thaem nue' is still an emotional knockout, with wobbly monosynth melodies layered over beats that sound as much like Timbaland as they do the Rochdale duo. Now in 2021, the R&B/IDM connection is understood far more clearly and Zahn's atmospheric dubbed out soundscapes (just check 'scapen te') sound almost in sync with the ambient bass exploration of the West Mineral/Experiences Ltd. set. 

If you've never heard 'Atol Scrap', now's your time, freshly remastered by sensitive ears (this ain't an exercise in loudness, we promise), it's never sounded better.

• Thanks 3

When you realize boomkat is actually a label trying to sell the music their artists are currently making and not actually a music review site. 

Edited by sheatheman
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, sheatheman said:

When you realize boomkat is actually a label trying to sell the music their artists are currently making and not actually a music review site. 

This also ?

2 hours ago, mcbpete said:

Jeez, right ?! I know attention spans are terrible nowadays but it's only a few paragraphs.... Maybe I'll put things in colour to help.

Here we go Red = Bad thing, Green = Good thing:

It's fair to say that for the most part, IDM hasn't aged well. When it worked, its sounds were absorbed into more forgiving structures (hello trap and grime) and when it didn't, the mess of overly masculine sound design (ie, greyscale) and underwhelming cycling non-melodies irritated more than they impressed, inching closer to history's trashcan with each passing year. Intelligent was a gross overstatement, and if you couldn't dance to it, what exactly was the purpose?

But certain records have retained their power, sounding better now than they did two decades ago. "Atol Scrap" found an audience when it was released in 1999, but somehow seems more relevant now with its confident fusion of faded dub-techno flutter, gut-punching trance arpeggios and "Chiastic Slide"-era percussive burps. At the time the album's closeness to Autechre was a sticking point for some listeners, but now it seems almost inconsequential. Who isn't influenced by Autechre, anyway? 

Uwe Zahn's construction is inspired, but unique in its own way. Standout track 'thaem nue' is still an emotional knockout, with wobbly monosynth melodies layered over beats that sound as much like Timbaland as they do the Rochdale duo. Now in 2021, the R&B/IDM connection is understood far more clearly and Zahn's atmospheric dubbed out soundscapes (just check 'scapen te') sound almost in sync with the ambient bass exploration of the West Mineral/Experiences Ltd. set. 

If you've never heard 'Atol Scrap', now's your time, freshly remastered by sensitive ears (this ain't an exercise in loudness, we promise), it's never sounded better.

red green color blind tho. 

Spoiler

kidding but damn can't read that this early in the morning. my eyes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apologies, forgot there's different themes on here. I've got the place set on the WATMM after dark theme, so isn't quite as eye gouging ...

image.png

Doesn't John Twells (Xela) write the Boomkat blurbs? I've got no problem buying from Boomkat because I think they're a good store and carry a bunch of stuff I like, but it does seem like maybe John is working through some of their own issues about being an "IDM LABEL OWNER" in that era.

• Like 1

The shock the scandal! Hey you, who wrote that blrb and is probably reading this, you got the reaction you were looking for didn't you.

shits always sold out in boomkat when i finally get to reading their newsletter just because groan-worthy reviews makes me not want to.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Richie Sombrero said:

Might do a boomkat thread v Israel Palestine conflict random quote thread.

Not sure I could tell the difference.

turn it all into data then make a chiastic slide knock off with it. 

• Big Brain 1

6 minutes ago, Richie Sombrero said:

Will then randomly bomb some houses near Warp HQ but never Warp HQ.

just Microtune the bombs so no one oppressed by Ableton