IGNORED

London flat rent help

Konakov

Hey folks!
Looking for a London flat to rent this autumn-winter. First where is better to rent a flat for e-musician? Can u advise some undergoogle websites with a good prices, or forums, or whatever web?? Maybe yr friend going to rent? Entire place any location

• Like 1

Rents have been affected in London, but they may be back to normal later in the year who knows.  A budget of £1,000 pcm will get you a studio flat (i.e. 1 living space/room with separate bath and kitchen) within zone 2-3*.  It's conceivable that it might get you a 1 bed now as well. 

*TfL travel zones are used to give a rough idea of costs as they spread out in concentric circles from the centre of London (zone 1).

Very generally speaking west London is wealth and east London is trendy.  You're going to find Dalston more exciting than Fulham.  London goes through fairly rapid gentrification whenever a part of it gets interesting, so the young and hip in Shoreditch/Hoxton rippled out to Hackney, Bethnal Green, Dalston over the last 15-20 years or so, but it's still a nightlife centre.  But there are plenty of other areas, S London from Brixton through Peckham into New Cross and even Deptford tends to have a bit going on in part due to art schools and Goldsmiths being located nearby.

If you're within zone 2 a bike is probably the best way to get around.  Get a cheap one or it will get knicked.

Agents aren't regulated heavily in the UK and the standard varies hugely and there are lots of them.  Most seasoned London renters I know will try and avoid them which usually means either spareroom or one of the big facebook London renters groups.  Be careful, there are plenty of scams out there.      

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kakapo said:

You're going to find Dalston more exciting than Fulham.  

Yeah for reference I moved from stratford (near dalston) to putney (near fulham) and it's definitely a shit move if you want to be around young arty musicician creatives types and have a load of fun and shagging. (But it's a good move if you've forgotten what stuff like trees and birds and peace and quiet are like)

Also good tip about cycling a shit bike. It doesn't have to be SHIT shit, just old. If it looks modern it will be nicked.

• Like 1

If you want to lower the rent a touch, move slightly further out to Walthamstow, Wanstead, the western end of Ilford and such, you'll find rooms in shared places a bit cheaper without being too far from interesting stuff, plus with Wanstead Flats and Epping Forest nearby it's not chokingly urban either. You'll certainly get a room in a flatshare for less than a thousand. 

spareroom.co.uk and rightmove.co.uk are pretty broad but reasonable starting places, Gumtree has some dodgy shit but isn't too hard to identify what's good from bad.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 10:55 PM, Amen Warrior said:

Yeah for reference I moved from stratford (near dalston) to putney (near fulham) and it's definitely a shit move if you want to be around young arty musicician creatives types and have a load of fun and shagging. (But it's a good move if you've forgotten what stuff like trees and birds and peace and quiet are like)

Also good tip about cycling a shit bike. It doesn't have to be SHIT shit, just old. If it looks modern it will be nicked.

have you thought about moving to North Wales?

5 hours ago, Konakov said:

thanks for tips! what about Stoke Newington? Looks like boring place but close to everywhere, am I right?

I moved out in 2013 but luvved it, not boring, loads of nice places to eat and drink and decent nightlife walk or short cycle away (dunno if all that has survived gentrification and lokdownz, not been in ages).

Public transport is a bit shit for getting into central London for work or whatever, nearest useful tube is finsbury park.

Abney park cemetery is the most interesting jogging spot in the whole of London (I said jogging not dogging), and quick bike ride through clapton gets you to lea valley marshes which are really nice to visit to feel like you're in the countryside

On 6/26/2021 at 10:55 PM, Amen Warrior said:

I moved out in 2013 but luvved it, not boring, loads of nice places to eat and drink and decent nightlife walk or short cycle away (dunno if all that has survived gentrification and lokdownz, not been in ages).

Public transport is a bit shit for getting into central London for work or whatever, nearest useful tube is finsbury park.

Abney park cemetery is the most interesting jogging spot in the whole of London (I said jogging not dogging), and quick bike ride through clapton gets you to lea valley marshes which are really nice to visit to feel like you're in the countryside

Why everybody talking about shitty public transport? What is the problem with it?

2 hours ago, Konakov said:

Why everybody talking about shitty public transport? What is the problem with it?

It's just not as well connected as other nearby places. Can't get anywhere quick, no tube and the overground there doesn't go anywhere useful quickly. Plenty of bus routes but you can generally cycle quicker than buses.

When I lived there I used to have to cycle or get the bus to fisbury park tube to get to work (oxford circus). It was a pain.

If you think you'll be staying around east London you won't notice, if you'll be commuting to a different area of London for work it will be light to moderate annoying.

ok it's not a deal
but what about London life? where can I find my "people" ??? i mean who in 'good music', braindance, urban stuff, underground parties, true rave, free people etc etc etc. I think you know what I am about.... Any thoughts? i know it's personal but maybe someone can advise....thanks anyway