IGNORED

Editions Mego Label Founder Peter Rehberg Dead at 53

Key

Fuck. This sucks, even besides his own compositions, dude really did some important work in bringing experimental electronic so called "computer music" to the masses. Mego might not be Warner Brothers but it did greatly expand the base of listeners for this kind of thing quite a lot

• Like 4

When I trawl my music collection, I realised how many Editions Mego albums I own.  Many more than I realised.

From the recent Surgeon modular rainforest experiments, the Ekoplekz live work, Merzbow and Prurient, even OPN Returnal .... Mark Fell's UL8 was a slight obsession of mine for a while. 

The label was a key platform in pushing the extremes of electronic music to a wider audience, he was well loved in the industry hence getting so many big hitters on the label. 

RIP

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this is very sad. RIP. We're doing a 2 hour radio special tonight on Peter, Mego and the also recently departed Jon Hassell. 

Edited by droid

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm heartend to see the label continuing in a strong direction after Peter's death. Tujiko Noriko, who was the closest thing Mego had to a pop star put out a beautiful and effecting elegy/tribute album at the beginning of the year that I highly recommend. The Melvin Gibbs album was also a riveting work considering it seemed to mostly consist of nothing but manipulated tape hiss.

Edited by Key
  • Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 8:32 AM, Soloman Tump said:

When I trawl my music collection, I realised how many Editions Mego albums I own.  Many more than I realised.

From the recent Surgeon modular rainforest experiments, the Ekoplekz live work, Merzbow and Prurient, even OPN Returnal .... Mark Fell's UL8 was a slight obsession of mine for a while. 

The label was a key platform in pushing the extremes of electronic music to a wider audience, he was well loved in the industry hence getting so many big hitters on the label. 

RIP

Definitely agree. A label that slotted very experimental sounds into many electronic fan’s collections. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2