IGNORED

Principles of Geometry- This album is like a love letter to BOC

Alzado

Not trying to be negative, but I think it would be a significantly stronger record if it were a bit less BOC-esque. To whatever extent Boards is just as much psychedelic trip-hop as "IDM" (yeah, the latter is a non-thing, basically), the less psychedelic and less trip-hop cuts from ABCDEF...etc. are the strongest ones (the faster tempo, more acid-like ones, for instance). The synths that don't waver with BOC's signature faltering harmonics are also more appealing. Listening to the record feels like there was a checklist being employed to make sure that BOC's aesthetics weren't strayed too far from while there was a more genuine pull in a different direction. I'm not suggesting that this was actually the case, it's just the impression I'm left with.

• Like 2

I think what's so cringe about this particular pastiche is that it doesn't just sound like the artist is trying to sound like BOC, it sounds like the artist is trying to sound like they're trying to sound like BOC. :psyduck:

I mean just really wearing it on their sleeve. That's cool I guess. In post-BOC world all we have is imitation. A little bit is good here and there. But to me this comes off like a calculated effort to make a faux- BOC album. I mean look at those titles lol

• Thanks 2

Gave this a listen all the way through, more thoughts:

- I second the comparison to Ciaran Byrne (another blatant pastiche artist) in a couple spots, guess this is where we are in history now, pastiche of pastiche lol

- Some tracks heavily remind me of Christ. as well

- Not all of the tracks on the album are full-on BOC pastiche, fwiw there's a mix of other styles, as the OP and other people have already said. But obviously the BOC element is really in your face

- Overall I just found this music dull. That might be my own inevitable descent into "dad"-ness and general snobbery, but to me this music doesn't offer anything particularly interesting. "Polyedra One" and "Xenism" were ok.

46 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

I think what's so cringe about this particular pastiche is that it doesn't just sound like the artist is trying to sound like BOC, it sounds like the artist is trying to sound like they're trying to sound like BOC. :psyduck:

I mean just really wearing it on their sleeve. That's cool I guess. In post-BOC world all we have is imitation. A little bit is good here and there. But to me this comes off like a calculated effort to make a faux- BOC album. I mean look at those titles lol

Moreover, I feel there is a cultural delusion regarding what BoC are really about, and albums like this are playing into that. BoC's aesthetic is direct and indirect simultaneously, there are many surface-level tropes one can attach to and the homage is effectively communicated (call a track 'Pythagorian Pylon-Children', add playground field recording, slow break-loop, and a synth ostinato with a degraded tape vst = bingo). It's to BoC's credit that this is possible and I believe it's played a huge role in their appeal. Obviously BoC are about more than the cynical example in parentheses above, but most BoClones are apparently content being homage artists where the reverence lies at this shallow end of BoC appreciation. One of the only artists I can really think of who not only fully understands what BoC are about on a thematic/nuanced production level, but also possesses the acumen to expand the language of said aesthetic, is Clocolan. I recommend giving 'This Will End In Love' a listen for those curious.

Thanks for posting about this Alzado. Admittedly I have to give the PoG LP a full listen still but wanted to address a more pervading concern. Nice to see some spirited debate on the forum again rather than users just using the 'react' buttons on everything.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

That’s a good analysis. I had no idea what I was in for when I first listened. So I feel bad that I colored everyone else’s opinion already. But on that clean listen, I heard a knowing and sincere exploration of that classic Warp era (mostly boc, but not just them).

Edited by Alzado
  • Like 1

Thought I’d have a listen. Made it up to halfway. It’s perfectly fine, problem for me was after first 15 or 30 seconds of every track I could pretty much predict how the rest of the tune was gonna go. Which made it a bit boring. It was done well though. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2

This pastiche is yummy, has all the nostalgic ingredients of a lovely familiar dish and the chefs know how to cook it, also it's the best dish they've cooked so far.
Was I surprised by new original flavors added? No.
Was I satisfied and had a great meal? Yes.
Will I consume it again? Yes!
img_9674.webp.2b9bf1422bc6eda276512cfbc0bb6fda.webp
https://albaniancuisine.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/pastice/

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Alzado said:

Yeah I didn’t love this 

12 hours ago, Alzado said:

Clocolan - 'This Will End In Love'

Just gave this another listen. I want to like this but it’s impossible. The guy has a great feel for composition. And yes, the BOC aesthetic as mentioned.

But ultimately this is a great listen if you enjoy BOC but hate catchy melodies and memorable beats. If meandering soundscapes is your jam you will love this. If you like to hit play and then realize 10 minutes later you don’t know what track is on because they all sound the same, you’re in luck. I’m imagining this guy playing live and a bunch of dudes standing there stroking their chin beards and nodding approvingly. 

Edited by Alzado
  • Haha 1

if this is a "nod", it's the Zidane headbutting Materazzi of nods. it's nice and I would probably listen through it a few times, but yes, as others have said, it's too on the nose (of Materazzi/BoC) to really stand on its own merits.

Edited by usagi
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Goiter Sanchez said:

Moreover, I feel there is a cultural delusion regarding what BoC are really about, and albums like this are playing into that. BoC's aesthetic is direct and indirect simultaneously, there are many surface-level tropes one can attach to and the homage is effectively communicated (call a track 'Pythagorian Pylon-Children', add playground field recording, slow break-loop, and a synth ostinato with a degraded tape vst = bingo). It's to BoC's credit that this is possible and I believe it's played a huge role in their appeal. Obviously BoC are about more than the cynical example in parentheses above, but most BoClones are apparently content being homage artists where the reverence lies at this shallow end of BoC appreciation. One of the only artists I can really think of who not only fully understands what BoC are about on a thematic/nuanced production level, but also possesses the acumen to expand the language of said aesthetic, is Clocolan. I recommend giving 'This Will End In Love' a listen for those curious.

Thanks for posting about this Alzado. Admittedly I have to give the PoG LP a full listen still but wanted to address a more pervading concern. Nice to see some spirited debate on the forum again rather than users just using the 'react' buttons on everything.

I liked that Clocolan rec. Thanks.

Who else pastiches the fuck out of BOC? I could really do with absorbing this type of sound right now. I think someone has recommended CIALYN? any others?

This PoG album in particular is awesome though. Not as moody as the Highlanders, quite the opposite, like a smily, upbeat BOC. I foggin lov it guyz.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dumplings said:

I liked that Clocolan rec. Thanks.

Who else pastiches the fuck out of BOC? I could really do with absorbing this type of sound right now. I think someone has recommended CIALYN? any others?

This PoG album in particular is awesome though. Not as moody as the Highlanders, quite the opposite, like a smily, upbeat BOC. I foggin lov it guyz.

• Like 2

thanks for sharing. it's wearing its influences (too?) proudly. the production is not nearly as precise as BOC/Ae/et.al. and is somehow muddy and too "clean" at the same time. If I dreamt after listening to boards of canada and artificial intelligence this is the music my brain would make.

Besides some of the timbres taken from BOC songs they really focus on nailing the chords and progressions to sound like them which might be what distances me from the album. Like others have said I hear a more authentic voice emerging in some tracks and that's more interesting to me. Still I enjoyed listening.

On 1/10/2023 at 12:15 AM, beerwolf said:

Thought I’d have a listen. Made it up to halfway. It’s perfectly fine, problem for me was after first 15 or 30 seconds of every track I could pretty much predict how the rest of the tune was gonna go. Which made it a bit boring.

Yeah, having listened through now that was my issue as well, the arrangements don't take any risks. Very few surprises or wild shifts in tone within a given track. They strike a seam of lushness a few times, particularly on the shorter ambient pieces, but nothing stood out to me as wildly creative or brilliant in a way that made me want to check out more of their work (looking in my collection I actually do have something by PoG, but only because it has a remix by Fieldtriqp, an artist on a different tier altogether where making this sort of music is concerned).

Also, surprised we are all just letting that Bandcamp writeup slide! Did you guys read it?! Lol

Ultimately though, their influences are great and if this album spurs newer listeners to check out the greats then that's a worthwhile outcome.