IGNORED

Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?

cern

Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are you totally happy with the Blackbox Life Recorder 21 f EP Release so far?

• Yes of course, freaking love it all give me it already!
    • Yes sure, but could have been a little bit longer or more tracks!
    • Yes, but I was expecting an Album or something bigger and not a EP only!
    • No, it feels lame with all QR-campaigns for only a short EP!
    • No, After waiting many years Im so disappointed at this release!
    • I don't even care about this Aphex Twin Dude!

Yeah she’s at her worst the week after Glastonbury. When all you get is her constantly pining on about what a fantastic weekend she’s just had. Nice work/freebie/jolly if you can get it. She’s so sickly twee and over the top nice it makes me wanna smash the radio in with a house brick. And play Motörhead. Loud. And piss all over her best plants. Like a savage stinking Beast Man that I am.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Haha 1

This is just my head canon, but if the EP comes out and it is missing 'the best' tracks from his 2019 unreleased stuff. That would tell me he is aiming for an LP of that kind of music. So I think that this release may mirror Syro/Cheetah, except this time Cheetah is coming out first.

Or he just felt the need to release something.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

This is just my head canon, but if the EP comes out and it is missing 'the best' tracks from his 2019 unreleased stuff. That would tell me he is aiming for an LP of that kind of music. So I think that this release may mirror Syro/Cheetah, except this time Cheetah is coming out first.

They won't be, not plural anyway, one max of the tracks from 2019 shows out of the 5 EP tracks (4 named and BBLR20 ambient mix which will de a digital bonus track) one was released in full, one released as an mp3 and 2 have been played live and blocked on youtube for copyright breach, that only leaves the possibility of one more although I'd be surprised if he didn't play that at one of the 4 gigs from this year and for reasons unknown it hasn't been blocked 

22 hours ago, Brisbot said:

Dunno, I'm kinda in minority here, but those unreleased live tracks didn't do too much for me. I mean, there were some great bits here and there but overall they were just okeish, especially compared to other teasers Rich has dropped prior and after, and about which I knew immediately they were the shit (minipops, papat, blackbox) Then again can't tell how big bunch of those 2019 live tracks were planned for that live event only and how many were meant to be released at some point as proper tracks. But hey ho Rich can released whatever he wants and I'm gonna buy it. :derp:

• 2 weeks later...

Very good EP, be it short, the remix is quite different so like a new track. Strongest release in years. Also love the packaging and the clear vinyl. Kudos to the Twin, back on form. I can confirm none of the tracks are the one below  track people highlighted (

On 7/12/2023 at 10:33 PM, cruising for burgers said:

is it just me or the chord progression of bblr sounds quite a bit like come to daddy if you add loads of distortion?

video brought to u by@diatoms

hmm is this actually the remix track above, i only listened to the record once today

Edited by Empirix

It's out on the bleep store.

in a room is really something else. I enjoyed the rest of the EP, but that track!! Holy shit!!

The blackbox remix reminds me of classic afx 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, koolkeyZ865 said:

in a room is really something else. I enjoyed the rest of the EP, but that track!! Holy shit!!

I can see that one being the winner for most people! 

Wicked tracks, not complaining. Would like a longer EP (I think I prefer EPs to albums actually), but I guess Windowlicker was about the same length. tbf it's obviously the kind of stuff that takes more work, like the way newer Venetian Snares EPs are shorter and take longer to come out (though Snares is way more prolific in terms of releases)

record arrived today, the sounds and mixing are lush but left feeling that more should have been done with it, musically it didn't grab me and seems a bit slight, not itching to play it again.  i'd say collapse was much better

BLR 21f- Has a great fluid flow to it that makes it very 'relistenable' - I think this track and the ep in general is about his dad. 

in a room7 - Fantastic initial energy. Love the weird panned pads, the supporting melody and the buildup of tension. Kind of goes into a bit of a 'Tussy' breakdown which I've missed. Then reminds me of OPN after 2 mins. Seems to use some Collapse sounds/rhythms in the last couple of minutes. 

These fit nicely with the Collapse EP. 

hearing this next to the pancake lizard peel track on bleep. I can't help but think. What happened? This is the first time Ive ever been meh'ed by an aphex release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know he's got better stuff he's making. Im just confused why they chose these tracks. That Flangey ambient piece would have been nice.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, marf said:

hearing this next to the pancake lizard peel track on bleep. I can't help but think. What happened? This is the first time Ive ever been meh'ed by an aphex release.

Pancake lizard is sick but I don't think these are any less. 

I actually like em more. Just a matter of taste I guess. 

• Like 1

Fun EP.

Paid £3.99 for the WAV's direct from the Aphex site, happy with getting the 8 tracks.  I think my vinyl buying days are done, £22 for the wax and only 4 tracks is insane tbh.  The bonus app tech is cool for 5 minutes but I just can't justify the costs. 

Fun fact: BBLR and Collapse EP total 14 tracks, 65 minutes, just burnt to a CD ready for my car journey tomorrow ? 7\ cheers RDJ 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

Fun EP.

Fun fact: BBLR and Collapse EP total 14 tracks, 65 minutes, just burnt to a CD ready for my car journey tomorrow ? 7\ cheers RDJ 

I've lumped this with Collapse all the way from the first time I heard the Blackbox track. imo BBLR EP sounds like a natural continuum to the thing that was happening in the Collapse EP. These two go hand in hand just perfect. In some strange way BBLR has actually made me to appreciate more Collapse as a whole ep. Previously was a friend mainly for the title track only and the rest of the ep went on a side in a way. So to answer the topic this EP makes me a one happy camper....or what mindless trend follower of marketing hype campaign one wants to call it.