IGNORED

How to introduce aphex twin to someone who likes only pop music?

o00o

selected ambient works 85-92.

he even called it his 'pop album'

also, maybe just make a playlist of a bunch of happy accessible aphex stuff + windowlicker

pop music is a pretty wide valley these days.. there's some pretty creative and weird stuff that falls into pop these days.. and lot's of typical fluff.. but the modern production techniques/sound design proliferated to pop trends long ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, o00o said:

Is there like a prebuilt playlist like this on YouTube or so?

Is the person interested in getting to know Aphex's material or are you just trying to ram it down his/her throat? If you know what I mean ; ) ; ) ; ) 8====D

Many people prefer music with lyrics so they can sing to it and feel attached because the meaning of the song text. 
It can be difficult for these people to hear only music without lyrics. 

I would suggest they get a feeling for simple electronic music or more Advanced pop Sophie style
When they getting into that then you open the door to mr Ape Hex Twink 

Flim and SAW1 Is a great start! 

I tried, but it's nearly impossible. To appreciate this type of music you need a kind of special sentiment for the atmosphere it creates, sometimes blissfully erratic, sometimes sombre and calm. People that have always liked pop music doesn't really have that soft spot of introspection. They might "like" it, but in a superficial way.

Edited by logakght
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, logakght said:

I tried, but it's nearly impossible. To appreciate this type of music you need a kind of special sentiment for the atmosphere it creates, sometimes blissfully erratic, sometimes sombre and calm. People that have always liked pop music doesn't really have that soft spot of introspection. They might "like" it, but in a superficial way.

Or they could be a big Stockhausen fan and haven't told you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Or they could be a big Stockhausen fan and haven't told you.

lol yo, but it's the same for me... I can't stand pop music, and I just listen a few particular, selected singers. I'm more anti-establishment pop music tho, but either way can't find anything inherently attractive inside the label "pop music": Too polished, too perfect, too formulaic.

5 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Ahh shit I haven't played this one in years, instant re-listen, still holds up ?

I've thought about the thread subject too. I've thought about doing a few "pretty" tracks like the piano pieces, and Rhubarb/Lichen, then adding some beats with Xtal/Heliosphan, Flim, maybe On as well, that one bridges that gap nicely, move up to Alberto Balsalm... At this point ask if they want more intense beats or more pretty stuff (or both), and deviate from there. I'd want to guide the journey a bit, cause if you throw 5 tracks at them from the darker part of SAW2 they may bail out, or ask for more. There's too much variation in the catalogue for a standard journey.

• Burger 1

lel..wasnt finished with my post..u "found" the antwoord already..

u could search through whosampled for songs, which sampled and/or covered aphex..depending on the age of said person, something like the antwoord could be regarded as pop..bru, that shit is almost 10y old ..fuxyz..vocals c/w/should help..

https://www.whosampled.com/Aphex-Twin/sampled/

you could mash something up..shouldn be that hard to do..or yt

from that infamous aphexswift album

Edited by iococoi
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Even SAW sounds weird to someone who only likes pop, I've tried

I tried playing drukqs to some metalheads and one of them said "can we listen to something with music in it?"

At some point I just accepted that the weird music I like is probably not gonna be liked by most of my friends, even though aphex got kinda popular at some point because of how memorable the Come to Daddy vid was

• Like 1

rdj said in q interview about syro "my pop album, or as poppy as it's going to get"

To be fair the friends I introduced aphex twin to prefer a wider range of music tastes than just pop music, but SAW 1 and 2 sealed the deal and they then delved into other albums and EPs themselves. Every new aphex fan (like myself at the time) seems to always LOVE Xtal (for good reason).

• Like 2

Can’t imagine ever having a pow wow party round my house and putting on Selected Ambient Works II.

That record has a lot of online dimwits sucking at the juicy nipple. So many times I’ve read so many suckers bang on about SAWII, like it’s some big Aphex  record they slap on at a late night luvvie wankfestt, dinner party. Yeah wave around like a field of corn in the summer breeze.

Im fucking sure these cunts have no idea what they are fucking talking about! It’s simply the most unnerving album I’ve ever heard. It’s fucking cryptic x-file, moonshine, lsd, UFO, lost in the woods and being hunted by Lord Vampire. Then of course through the magic mushrooming maelstrom God appears. To save your soul.

You know what I say is True. It isn’t music Pop Pricks slap on to do a bit ambient yoga to is it? I’ve listened to this fucking album hundreds of times. Yet it’s still an enigma. 

Welcome to the Twilight Zone

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1