IGNORED

A composer's take on MHTRTC

mcbpete

14 minutes ago, dcom said:

Lovely, but the tacked-on Happy Cycling is bad, mmmkay? It's a good track, but it doesn't belong there.

Absolutely agreed, had no idea that track was added to the re-issue. 'One Very Important Thought' is obviously a closer track, it even says 'now that the show is over' .... well done blerp you blamped it

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

yeah good analysis. she definitely put time into this especially considering it’s the whole album. wasn’t condescending or “bewildered”which is kinda what i expected going into it. She definitely seems to have a thorough background into electronic music in addition to the obvious traditional music chops which is kinda rare in these kinds of videos from what i’ve seen. nice 

6 hours ago, dcom said:

Lovely, but the tacked-on Happy Cycling is bad, mmmkay? It's a good track, but it doesn't belong there.

5 hours ago, mcbpete said:

Absolutely agreed, had no idea that track was added to the re-issue. 'One Very Important Thought' is obviously a closer track, it even says 'now that the show is over' .... well done blerp you blamped it

4 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

Absolutely true! Couldn't have said it better. Doesn't diminish my love for the track. Definitely EP material, glad it's on Peel Sessions.

Having only ever known the US CD version, I must insist in the equal and opposite direction.  From this POV it slays as one of my favorite album closers of all (cri-evri) tiem.  Just hook that closing ostinato to my veins.

The Peel Session and o.g. "bad day" versions are also magical doppelgangers in their own way :sorcerer:

• Like 3

this just made me feel really old. haven't listened to it in ages. when i lived in san diego my GF then used to baby sit for this wee little one. we'd end up carting her around in the car sometimes and i'd play MHTRTC a lot for her and she dug it and once in a while out of nowhere we'd hear her say "ORRrrrrannnnnnnge" and crack up. 

as for the video.. yeah. she has an ear for it. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

It's interesting how well she picks up their penchant for detuning. That's something I've always read them say in interviews but I don't really have the ear to notice it. Definitely had to google mixolydian too.

16 hours ago, BobDobalina said:

Having only ever known the US CD version, I must insist in the equal and opposite direction.

ya. just stop at track 17? wtf. there's one more!

hard for me to imagine it not having happy cycling as the closer. it's the way I've always heard it ever since this album first resonated inside my eardrums 25 years ago.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2024 at 6:54 PM, BobDobalina said:

Having only ever known the US CD version, I must insist in the equal and opposite direction.  From this POV it slays as one of my favorite album closers of all (cri-evri) tiem.  Just hook that closing ostinato to my veins.

The Peel Session and o.g. "bad day" versions are also magical doppelgangers in their own way :sorcerer:

I'm totally on this side, I grew up with Happy Cycling there and it's part of the package to me, I absolutely adore hearing it at the end of the album.

It is weird though how much my perception of albums was influenced by bonus tracks early on. Like it was years before I realized the RDJ album and Girl/Boy EP were separate releases. But that was a case where it totally made sense and once I figured it out I split them and stopped listening to them as a single album. With Happy Cycling I was too attached to it to take it off and I still love hearing it there.

I like the video too, the piano breakdowns backing up the analysis are really nice. There's a lot of junk in the music reaction video genre on youtube but this is well done and insightful.

• Like 2