IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

They're nice, it's a really big build but so far it's actually not hard at all.  Even the SMT stuff isn't bad.

The one mistake I made (unless other things show up when I'm able to do a first real power up) was soldering the LEDs on the power distro board backward (they're those little 3mm LEDs with no flatted side, and I'm used to square pad = +/long leg, which it is for polarized electrolytics on these boards, but not for LEDs) and I did a pretty poor job of desoldering them , but it didn't do any harm to the board.

Definitely read through all of the unofficial documentation here carefully if you go for it, because there are a few big things you have to be aware of:

https://www.dsl-man.de/display/KIJIMI/KIJIMI+Documentation#KIJIMIDocumentation-Buildguide

And be aware that the changes listed in the BOM (at the very bottom of the spreadsheet) aren't all reflected in the Mouser cart, so there are a few resistors, caps, diodes and op amps you'll need to add or replace.  I foudn that out the hard way and it cost me some shipping time and costs.

• Like 1

Mouser recently added a bunch of m2.5 standoff sizes, so you can get those easier now.  I just ordered the 12mm F-F I need to mount the main board to the control board, so I don't have to wait for the order from China to show up before I can test and move to voice cards.  Never hurts to have some spare spacers around in any size, and the order from China was only like $6 so not a big deal.

I really want to have this thing finished and running before my work reopens.

Anyone who's thinking about doing this, Würth Elektronik makes the spacer sizes you're after that Mouser stocks. When I ordered most of the parts last fall they didn't seem to carry anything in m2.5 7mm or 12mm.  Still can't find 6mm m2.5 black panhead screws on there, but those are cheap and easy to get on Amazon or eBay.

Edited by TubularCorporation

Watching all these pictures I’ve learned that people are not fan of nice spacious tables with correctly positioned monitoring speakers, nor speakers in general.

Edited by xox
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, xox said:

Watching all these pictures I’ve learned that people are not fan of nice spacious tables with correctly positioned monitoring speakers, nor speakers in general.

Have to make do or the alternative is to make no music at all ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheBro said:

Have to make do or the alternative is to make no music at all ?

2 hours ago, Leon Sumbitches said:

Aye, same here. Very thin walls/floor plus neighbours with kiddos means I have to do the decent thing and not be a cunty neighbour.  Strictly 'phones for now but hey ho.

you must try harder

lol

Correctly positioning speakers is pretty hard to do for most people, having a space big enough that you can put the listening position in the right spot is a stretch to begin with, much less treating it at all. I can't even toe in my speakers because I have to keep them less than a meter apart and toe-in even 10 degrees narrowed the stereo field so much that it was making it really hard to judge panning.

I'd love to have a room big enough that I could give up 1/3 of the length to proper seating position but I don't see that happening any time soon.

4 hours ago, Leon Sumbitches said:

lol

Making trax using nothing but samples of your neighbours' noise complaints for most IDM 2020

is that recursive? im not a programmer but wouldn't that push you into a stack overflow in just few days?!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, xox said:

is that recursive? im not a programmer but wouldn't that push you into a stack overflow in just few days?!

Yes, but then you got to speed up your process with a little trick that's called generative music.

Also, live-stream it all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Thanks, man.  I love that chair.  Sits real nice.

is it always under the ladder so you remain in a "bad luck" zone? or are you not supersticious? 

• Burger 1

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

is it always under the ladder so you remain in a "bad luck" zone? or are you not supersticious? 

Obviously most of the mixing and listening process is while when sitting on the ladder ("good luck zone"). This is the mysterious and elusive "monkey tell, engineer do" workflow that is rarely practiced because it requires two people (dom and a sub). The engineer is sitting in the chair ("bad luck zone") and follows the guidance of the producer who hangs on the ladder ("good luck zone") and tells what to do. If the producer gets tired, this setting easily recombines into "backseat driver" workflow where the producer assumes the position on the brown couch.

To ensure that the engineer is concentrated, the paper towels - that could be used to dry their tears - are firmly kept out of reach.

The fuckoff huge TV screen is necessary because otherwise the producer can't see if the engineer is setting the right automation values.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2020 at 3:53 AM, Zephyr_Nova said:

My pro studio.

IMG_20200430_135711387_HDR.thumb.jpg.6447f9bc8858bb5622f308d5512cb087.jpg

I can tell a lot of magic happens in here.

@thawkins that's tidy, symmetrical and lovely. You're an example for the rest of us. And you have a DTX 12! I'm so close to getting one! I even told a drummer-turned-electro producer on GS to get one.

Edited by chim

20 hours ago, chim said:

I can tell a lot of magic happens in here.

@thawkins that's tidy, symmetrical and lovely. You're an example for the rest of us. And you have a DTX 12! I'm so close to getting one! I even told a drummer-turned-electro producer on GS to get one.

Yeah I got pedals for it too. I have to be really careful not to piss off my neighbor again so I rarely play though...

• 4 weeks later...

^Not shown are my 70s mixer with lush spring reverb, my new Korg sq1 and the neutron I'm receiving today. 

Now I gotta stop being a gear slut for a while. My excuse was that I'm not or hardly spending any money on going on vacation etc, but yeah..