IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

I just moved into a new apartment, and still getting set up, but it's mostly there. Pretty excited to get to work on some new stuff. I had all of my gear out at my last place, but I'm trying to take a simpler approach and just lay out the stuff I use the most.

CshSfx5.jpg

92WGo0c.jpg

• Like 9

On 11/25/2020 at 9:23 PM, TubularCorporation said:

Nope, it's a hockey puck with a 7mm hole drilled in the center on one side and a $2 sticker from Etsy on the other.

20201127_114559.thumb.jpg.0aafa6325e38c2c65c8d93d0f860adf4.jpg

Glued a dozen of them together in pairs of two and made better speaker risers, since the rubber stoppers I'd been using put the cones sit a little too low since I ditched the chair an started using a drum stool when I mix.

I'm sure they would sound better if I had dropped $20 each on vintage Canadian Astronaut Program commemorative pucks, but I'm not Warren fucking Buffet here.

s-l640.jpg

• Like 2

G'damn, that's pretty slick. The main thing that has kept me from using a disc stabilizer besides the ridiculous price tag is the fear that one day while in a clumsy mood I might drop it on a record.

Looking at ordering some local hockey pucks, one of the shops has added "Occasionally used for dampening." to the product description ?

Just make sure you accurately find the center, and use a drill press or drill guide to make sure the hole is exactly perpedicular to the face of the puck.

7mm is perfect, because it grips the spindle just enough that you can sort of twist it on gently and it stays in place, you don't need a lot of weight so it should be OK on most turntables.  It's kind of a hybrid weight/clamp.  If you countersink the hole a little it makes it a lot easier to place it on the spindle, and a logo or sticker on top makes it a lot easier to tell which side is the top if you've got the lights low.

On 11/26/2020 at 5:37 PM, Braintree said:

I just moved into a new apartment, and still getting set up, but it's mostly there. Pretty excited to get to work on some new stuff. I had all of my gear out at my last place, but I'm trying to take a simpler approach and just lay out the stuff I use the most.

CshSfx5.jpg

92WGo0c.jpg

Massive respect for the old school Microsoft mouse. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Danny O Flannagin said:

Massive respect for the old school Microsoft mouse. 

It's been going strong since 2002 and will be a sad day when it's gone.

• Farnsworth 1

On 12/2/2020 at 5:45 AM, Grain Bastard said:

Say what you want about Microsoft

I actually like the Microsoft of the last 5 years or so. Still a megacorp that swallows smaller companies but way less creepy than Google or Amazon. Maybe even Apple. 

3 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

I actually like the Microsoft of the last 5 years or so. Still a megacorp that swallows smaller companies but way less creepy than Google or Amazon. Maybe even Apple. 

Apart from all the telemetry, of course.

4 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

Well yeah now that they have market dominance and lock in, they no longer have to be outright shitty - even if they are, their PR department is there to handle the problems and nobody judges the winners, right? All those multibillion companies are actively working against paying any money at all in taxes, and will help any fucked up military or authoritarian government oppress their citizens if the price is right.

So can't really like them, but got to put up with them I guess.

Sorry, I didn't want to be a party pooper, just listened to too many podcasts about billg in the last few days.

In the end we'd use LFOs powered by blood emeralds anyway (and likely do - check out 'coltan' on wikipedia!), and by and large it is out of our hands as invididual consumption choices matter fuck all in the grand scheme of things.

• 2 weeks later...

Swapped my old EHX 2880 a couple hours ago.

20201224_150614.thumb.jpg.d8c05675275e36f028c8f6deb31046d9.jpg

Two of the floppies are corrupted, otherwise it's just about perfect.  Has the 2x RAM upgrade installed, no 4x but better than nothing.  I think that gives me something like 512k of sample memory and honestly, does anyone really need more than that?

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

alco : looks cozy. Super nice synth collection too !

Current iteration : new screen, Push 2, new CPU, and just used the U87a for VO / video recording. Great mic.

CDCIM100MEDIADXO_0626.jpg

• Like 14

I’m in my alt room these days bc I have some big construction works waiting in my ‘studio’ room but apparently it’ll wait for better days... probably even few months! ? 

I finally have the speakers I always wanted to have and I’m forced to use them in a untreated small room! :catrage:

@Alcofribas @Nil

nice setups guys!!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1