Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

20201020_163950-01.thumb.jpeg.d0d81fdaa133a1be0574a0c02909b141.jpegMy current little lo-fi set-up. Tired of staring at screens while making music.

An Ibanez GSR180 Bass is on the way. Time to actually learn an instrument in my old days.

EDIT: Page 200!

Edited by Captain James Mission
  • Like 10
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

alco : looks cozy. Super nice synth collection too ! Current iteration : new screen, Push 2, new CPU, and just used the U87a for VO / video recording. Great mic.

Gear: Mackie XR624 monitors, Korg Monologue, Yamaha TX81Z, Alesis Quadraverb, Motu M4 interface, Ableton Push, Volcano vaporizer, my dog

It’s a little messy right now- I’ve been going thru an old Windows xp desktop backing up old songs, so it’s in the way. Also my good cassette deck is out for repair, pedalboard is out away, I have som

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Grain Bastard said:

New stuff thanks to a special person in my life.

nice, i've got that same Alesis mixer. had it for well over a decade now, still in pretty solid condition.

how're you liking the 0-coast? been considering some semi-modular stuff over the next year-ish and it's one of the top contenders.

that Red Panda Particle get some nice sounds? i think i remember hearing it and some other Red Panda pedals on some YT videos and they were all sounding pretty interesting.

2 hours ago, auxien said:

nice, i've got that same Alesis mixer. had it for well over a decade now, still in pretty solid condition.

how're you liking the 0-coast? been considering some semi-modular stuff over the next year-ish and it's one of the top contenders.

that Red Panda Particle get some nice sounds? i think i remember hearing it and some other Red Panda pedals on some YT videos and they were all sounding pretty interesting.

The Alesis mixer is ok - I use it as a sub mix as I have a 6 input sound card. Could do with more but this allows a few more connections.

love the 0-Coast - I would never recommend it as your only mono synth or starter synth but it does stuff that more ‘standard ‘ synths don’t. For example you only get one oscillator but lots of other circuits on the device can create tones such as digital oscillator from the random maths section - this video shows it off - 

The Particle is a great effect - think granular delay stuff etc - like the 0-Coast, something a bit different 😎

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Grain Bastard said:

The Alesis mixer is ok - I use it as a sub mix as I have a 6 input sound card. Could do with more but this allows a few more connections.

love the 0-Coast - I would never recommend it as your only mono synth or starter synth but it does stuff that more ‘standard ‘ synths don’t. For example you only get one oscillator but lots of other circuits on the device can create tones such as digital oscillator from the random maths section - this video shows it off - 

The Particle is a great effect - think granular delay stuff etc - like the 0-Coast, something a bit different 😎

these days i'm using the Alesis as a sub-mixer as well, got a main Zoom mixer/recorder. relatively sturdy little beast tho. 

i've got plenty of other synths so that's not my concern...gonna give that video a watch, thanks. i've seen a fair few videos/reviews/tricks on it, but don't think i've seen that one yet.

nice on the Particle 🙂 

1 hour ago, TubularCorporation said:

I had one of those Alesis mixers for a few years and it used to heat up a LOT on the upper right corner near the power supply.  Does yours?

mine gets pretty hot, no doubt. always wondered why. figured it would degrade the internals over time, but doesn't seem to have (yet).

Mine was used so I was never sure if that was normal or not, never caused any problems for me either. The only piece of gear I've had that ran hotter (other than amps) was one of these:

digitech-rp1-2366130.jpg

And it runs so hot that it sometimes just glitches out completely, but it was free and I hang on to it for those times when I want to sound like an 11 year old Dream Theater fan in 1990.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lol, yes it does run pretty warm - I’m also very wary of it as it’s basically the same Behringer mixer in drag that I used to own. That ended up being used on a Flare audio sound system my mate owned (a blatant Funktion-1 rip off) and used to send signals from I various amps etc - anyway, the thing was loud-as and the parties were invariably a bit rowdy. The odd person who would invite themselves behind the decks would soon learn to not mess with things as you would get a huge electric shock off the mixer if you touched it 😂 - it was proper dangerous IMO but carried on working. Thankfully the alesis doesn’t exhibit this behaviour 😎

I might eventually get a better mixer but it’s ok for the moment. When jamming it’s nice to put a bit of reverb on to sit things in the mix and it’s fine for that. If I record thru it I turn them off.

• Like 1

In the Alesis mixer's defense, it's older than the Behringer counterpart, the friend I got mine from bought it a year or two before the Behringer came out (mine was the original one that only had a mix out via USB but no individual channels).  I know it's hard to believe, but I think Behringer might have actually copied it!

I've had one pice of gear that gave me shocks like that, too, and unfortunately it's the MPC2000xl.  I've never figured out what's going on with it and it's never damaged anything but there's something going on that shouldn't be and has been since I got it in 2009. Also I recently noticed that if I have it plugged into a mixer channel with the level (of that channel) all the way down everything is fine while the MPC is on, but if I trn the MPC off then I get a low ground loop hum at the output of the mixer. So the MPC is back in semi-retirement until I can figure out that whole issue and hopefully fix it when I finally open it all up to replace a couple of buttons that are wearing out.

Edited by TubularCorporation

Sticker finally showed up this morning, so my cheap-ass DIY record clamp is complete.  I don't know about any audiophile stuff but it sure helps with warped records (and not going to lie, the bass definitely sounds punchier and tighter).

20201125_125819-1.jpg

• Like 3

Looks very slick. Did you mill it? 

May I propose the name Spindoctor if you decide to mass produce them including the sticker? 

• Like 1

I just moved into a new apartment, and still getting set up, but it's mostly there. Pretty excited to get to work on some new stuff. I had all of my gear out at my last place, but I'm trying to take a simpler approach and just lay out the stuff I use the most.

CshSfx5.jpg

92WGo0c.jpg

• Like 9
On 11/25/2020 at 9:23 PM, TubularCorporation said:

Nope, it's a hockey puck with a 7mm hole drilled in the center on one side and a $2 sticker from Etsy on the other.

20201127_114559.thumb.jpg.0aafa6325e38c2c65c8d93d0f860adf4.jpg

Glued a dozen of them together in pairs of two and made better speaker risers, since the rubber stoppers I'd been using put the cones sit a little too low since I ditched the chair an started using a drum stool when I mix.

I'm sure they would sound better if I had dropped $20 each on vintage Canadian Astronaut Program commemorative pucks, but I'm not Warren fucking Buffet here.

s-l640.jpg

• Like 2

G'damn, that's pretty slick. The main thing that has kept me from using a disc stabilizer besides the ridiculous price tag is the fear that one day while in a clumsy mood I might drop it on a record.

Looking at ordering some local hockey pucks, one of the shops has added "Occasionally used for dampening." to the product description 😄

Just make sure you accurately find the center, and use a drill press or drill guide to make sure the hole is exactly perpedicular to the face of the puck.

7mm is perfect, because it grips the spindle just enough that you can sort of twist it on gently and it stays in place, you don't need a lot of weight so it should be OK on most turntables.  It's kind of a hybrid weight/clamp.  If you countersink the hole a little it makes it a lot easier to place it on the spindle, and a logo or sticker on top makes it a lot easier to tell which side is the top if you've got the lights low.

On 11/26/2020 at 5:37 PM, Braintree said:

I just moved into a new apartment, and still getting set up, but it's mostly there. Pretty excited to get to work on some new stuff. I had all of my gear out at my last place, but I'm trying to take a simpler approach and just lay out the stuff I use the most.

CshSfx5.jpg

92WGo0c.jpg

Massive respect for the old school Microsoft mouse. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Danny O Flannagin said:

Massive respect for the old school Microsoft mouse. 

It's been going strong since 2002 and will be a sad day when it's gone.

• Farnsworth 1
14 hours ago, Braintree said:

It's been going strong since 2002 and will be a sad day when it's gone.

Me too 😂

Say what you want about Microsoft but they make good mice 😂

AD35CEAC-8A17-433E-927E-708C2C424AA7.thumb.jpeg.a6463490f87dbe3670d9aa9f57ab2a1e.jpeg

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Grain Bastard said:

Me too 😂

Say what you want about Microsoft but they make good mice 😂

AD35CEAC-8A17-433E-927E-708C2C424AA7.thumb.jpeg.a6463490f87dbe3670d9aa9f57ab2a1e.jpeg

I've got one on the shelf under my desk for whenever the wireless one starts acting up.

• Like 2