IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

My wonderful partner's now connected my two subracks together via a Molex connector, so almost all my modules have a home now:

BRGDTTjCMAAdmsx.jpg

The switch at the top right turns on the whole rack. I can't emphasise enough how helpful this level of immediacy is.

That view of a lighthouse out the window is probably much more inspiring though... :)

Zoe, did you buy each one of those modules one by one?

I had a very basic system at first, then pretty much expanded it one module at a time. So most of them, yes.

hah, you tell 'em. /feels a little better about headphones.

having a largereflective surface between yourself and your monitors really is one of the most destructive indirect virtual sources you could induce to the listening position with respect to imaging. the path length difference will be within the 1-3ms image shifting zone of ear/brain system and typical speaker vertical polar response and physical size of desk (wrt wavelength) yields colored reflection. the short path length and rigidty of the surface implies the reflection will be high in gain with respect to direct signal thus resulting in very well defined 3d spatial polar lobing corresponding to the comb filter interference pattern within the 2d freq plot.

Kbc2pk1.png

early indirect signals within the haas int are very destrutive to accurate localization miaging and intelligibility, but the very early 1-3ms signals are even more destructive and must be addressed. these are typically due to speaker cab diffraction or edge diffraction from objects/surfaces within the direct signal path. of course ALL of this destructive indirect energies can be identifed via time-domain analysis.

I understand. Tnx for the respond. :beer:

If you don't mind, I'm going to quote myself on Gearslutz on that matter :

Accuracy over 60Hz up to mid freq's is so useful to get the lows right, much more than subs.
I was a bit anxious about that when I bought my APS Coax (closed design, coaxial drivers, super accurate / fast but not going as low as other monitors)... I no longer am. My mixes are better than ever, with heavy kicks and basses, and no more mud at all. I check subs with a set of headphones, et voilà.

I'll add that I can "feel" what's going on down there, even if I don't have that "kick in the chest" a huge monitor would produce when blasting a 4/4 808 beat.

If I can ever afford it though, APS is about to release a small sub tuned for the Coax. I'd love to have one... set of those !

:beer: xox !

elusive4 : would you have an example of a desk design to reduce/avoid those reflections please ? I want to build a new (pretty simple) desk for my DAW and monitors, nothing complicated at all really, I don't need/want a large surface. I'm also considering a very small surface and DIY speaker stands (with the IsoAcoustics on top). Thank you !

would you have an example of a desk design to reduce/avoid those reflections please ? I want to build a new (pretty simple) desk for my DAW and monitors, nothing complicated at all really, I don't need/want a large surface. I'm also considering a very small surface and DIY speaker stands (with the IsoAcoustics on top). Thank you !

real estate limitations dictate, but in small residential rooms most here are constrainted to it is best to place the speakers on stands many feet in front of the desk. the desk (surface area) should be minimized as much as possible and tilted (sloping) downwards.

of course, all of the indirect arrivals can be identified via the envelope time curve (ETC), and traced back to their incident source.

finally got my Analog Four back from repairs. This thing is the shizzle. And it works with my app.

Posted Image

Wondering if your app would be handy for the Octatrack as well, although I don't have any iOS devices. Where'd you find the sysex strings?

would you have an example of a desk design to reduce/avoid those reflections please ? I want to build a new (pretty simple) desk for my DAW and monitors, nothing complicated at all really, I don't need/want a large surface. I'm also considering a very small surface and DIY speaker stands (with the IsoAcoustics on top). Thank you !

real estate limitations dictate, but in small residential rooms most here are constrainted to it is best to place the speakers on stands many feet in front of the desk. the desk (surface area) should be minimized as much as possible and tilted (sloping) downwards.

of course, all of the indirect arrivals can be identified via the envelope time curve (ETC), and traced back to their incident source.

i was thinking that instead of all that, that you just apply some sort of sound absorbing mat to the upper surface of the desk/table that you're using. Job done. Actually, i should market it, make some dinars as a niche product.

Yeah I think the Octatrack won't work, afaik it doesn't do any SysEx. With the MD this is really quite powerful, essentially MIDI SysEx provides an iOS loophole to communicate with connected hardware.

For the Analog Four OS I reverse engineered the SysEx format for sound patches (kits/patterns are too complex, will need documentation for that).

While the A4 does things with SysEx, it's does only what's necessary for backups, so it's quite limited what can be done with it at this point, compared to the Machinedrum. I hope Elektron will implement more control features into its OS...

there's a bit of extra documentation for how the kits, patterns, and songs are structured. not a public document, i just asked nicely for it. gotta say, it wasn't super easy even with this extra documentation, let's say it was an exercise in bitwise operations & hex notation :]

I'm sorry, but after that bonobo pic, your setup is just not up to snuff. Even the furnishing whilst trying for the same effect is only wood veneer not real wood, so we find you failing on every level.

heh sorry yek'ee E|-;