IGNORED

Autechre-Quaristice

Guest Rook

steels just bothers me because it's the electronic music equivalent of a 2:56-long wank.

Yea probably me least favorite Ae track ever. Maybe.

After a month of listening, Quaristice is my 7th favorite Auetechre album. Maybe. Subject to change.

i would have to agree pretty much with this sentiment, since almost all Autechre's albums are amazing and of very high quality i want to make clear this does not reflect negatively on Quaristice, its a great album. Its just going to take a long time to grow on me

After a month of listening, Quaristice is my 7th favorite Auetechre album. Maybe. Subject to change.

lol, 7th favorite or 3rd worst?

basically what GBIII said. There is no BAD ae album. I mean, they all obviously have a lot of work put into them. But to me, this one at the moment doesn't flow as well as any of their other albums except for Incunabula which was really just a compilation put together by warp anyway.

So I guess at the moment for me it is Confield, Lp5, Chiastic Slide, Draft, Tri Repetae, Untilted, Quaristice, Amber, Incunabula.

The first five are amazing beyond description for me at all at least 9.8/10 for me. Untilted is definitely lower but by no means bad and literally getting better every day even now. (I still think the Trees is a little to long, and even a little bit of Sublimit is a little too long even though the first five minutes of Sublimit are like the most amazing thing ever.)

But I mean, some of the material on Quaristice is really really good, and I really want to see them expand on the material. Especially like Theswere, WNSN, rale, etc. But it doesn't feel quite as unified as any of their other albums. Still some great material though.

Amber feels pretty unified, but I suppose I just rated it a little lower since I prefer their more progressive sound to their earlier sound even though I still really like Amber.

I am a little disappointed that there wont be an ep. Though maybe the second disc will function like an ep I suppose.

Interesting. I wouldn't consider Ep7 an album though (partially because it is really just two eps) because I think even though each individual track is good, it doesn't flow as well as their other albums. Which is why I think they chose to release it as two eps instead of an album.

Maybe steels is one of those things like blue cheese.

edit: Listening now. I still just don't think this is good enough to get almost 3 whole minutes on the album. This sounds like it should be only one layer in a piece, with many other autechry things going on over it. It really is the electronic music equivalent of a long-ass guitarwank solo. IMHO of course.

Theswere is nice but I am not fond of the cheesy string patches. What year is it?

Edited by Chogg

Guest burnibus

as i mentioned in one of the other threads

All ae's music exists by itself and although can be referenced to everything else, like all good art is best when appreciated as an individual piece. when i listen to it i get completely lost in the music and locked in a dialogue as it should be with all the best music.

i think listening with comparison, although natural especially with an artist or band that have created so much quality work, detracts from the experience of the music as very often the thoughts "it sort of sounds like this but not as lush, harsh, complex, etcc..." enter the mind as opposed to listening and communicating with the music.

tomorrow's the day... i can't wait! yeah yeah... most of you dled it already... but i want something i can see, touch, feel, and smell as well as listen!

i haven't heard a peep from this album... autechre is one of those acts that i like to be suprised with... so tomorrow will be my first time hearing quaristice!

Guest Chogg

Given Steels a few more tries... still don't like it

Paralel Suns remains the winner thus far, at least of the ambient tracks.

Simmm is also becoming a favourite. The melody at the beginning is harsh and haunting all at once, and the pads in the last part are LUSH. Also a big fan of all the metallic drum sounds. The whole piece is really rippin.

Gave chenc9 a good listen yesterday - had overlooked this one because it sounded too much like Autechre's take on Drukqs. I stand corrected. Great track.

Also: rale = hell yes.

Overall this is a solid album but could do without certain tracks. The mix of different styles gives this one a weird shape in my mind, like a soup with many different chunks of stuff in it. There's something for everyone but inevitably something each person will hate as well. Interested to see what the bonuses are.

edit: also wanna note that I admire those of you who are holding out for the real CD. Wish I had that kind of patience! I listened to clips of Untilted on warp long before it came out and that kinda ruined the surprise quite a bit (especially since warp clips are shit). With this one I waited until I had the full download, but obviously did that before the actual release date.

Edited by Chogg

Gave chenc9 a good listen yesterday - had overlooked this one because it sounded too much like Autechre's take on Drukqs. I stand corrected. Great track.

The synth in chenc9 sounds quite similar to the one used in Custodian Discount by AFX