IGNORED

Autechre-Quaristice

Guest Rook

You can't even buy the digital from Bleep?

Pretty lame.

Yes it's quite lame

So far the only times I've been able to listen to Versions tracks is by finding individual songs that have been put on youtube or something similar

So lame. For my Meh attitude toward Quaristice proper, I would very much like to have some kind of Versions I can call my own

Yeah, I couldn't get into the short tracks at all upon its release. Also, for some reason at the time in the lead up to drop date I thought both the special edition and the regular where two discs, the special just being in the fancy packaging.

I was very much into the long, proggy side of ae, my fave album being Draft with Confield and Untilted being on heavy rotation. So when I managed to find a decent quality digital version of (versions) online I was like Finally! Here is my new ae album!

I eventually bought the special edition a few years back from ebay as a birthday present to myself. I had no idea you can't buy (versions) in digital.

I think Quaristice proper improves vastly if you've got your head around (versions) and Quadrange. And I'm not talking about the ambient stuff, I'm talking about the blink-and-it's-over nature of the more hard edged tracks on there. Even the ones for which a longer version doesn't exist, it was still easier to process them once the nature of some of the other tracks opened up.

Guest Roksen Creek

i like versions best

they should re-release it so everyone has a chance to own it legit

at least as digitals on bleep or something

YES! Versions is the bestest.

Luckily I have that metallic limited edition thingy, but for sure they should be available digitally for everyone

Guest SeniorMuffins87

It's funny, I was least-enamored with Quaristice out of all the albums until I made a playlist that pretty much kept the original fully intact but added a good chunk of Quadrange in appropriate spots. I would stomp on adorable animals to get my hands on the Versions disc. I can't find it anywhere and I don't torrent. Pretty frustrating that Warp would put out a hyper-limited edition and then assiduously take it off the internet whenever it pops up.

Essentially with this playlist, there are shorter tracks separated by long suites (there's the Perlence - Parallel Suns Suite and the 901- suite, plus I replaced the short versions of notwo and tkanren with their longer Quadrange counterparts). It makes me enjoy the album so much more.

I've always enjoyed Autechre because of a trait that annoys most newbs/reviewers, which is they really take their time investigating a sound or a beat. So by adding in the long versions, it slows the album down a bit and gives me time to enjoy things before being whipped along to the next idea like in Quaristice.

The only thing I cut out for my playlist was IO. That song a.) terrifies me and b.) annoys the shit out of me. It's literally the only Autechre song I'll skip. I mean there are a couple remixes that I'm not super-keen on but Jesus that song.

Guest SeniorMuffins87

Well, I finally found a copy through legal channels at a reasonable price. Holy balls this is good. Even the version of IO....I love it. And whoever pointed out that it allows you to see the lineage with Untilted a lot more clearly was dead on. This pretty much renders my "Platonic Quaristice" playlist obsolete, because for my money the versions disc is the platonic form of Quaristice.

In interviews I read SB mentioning that they were trying to choose between releasing a 10-track version and what ended up being the official release. Hearing this, I have to wonder if instead of (versions) as it says, this was the album as originally planned.

from a reviews standpoint, I suppose it was a good call to release Quaristice as they did because reviewers really liked it and saw it as ae changing it up (as if they don't totally reinvent their sound for every album anyways).

Attention spans are getting shorter and I suppose that means that a band like ae is hurt because of that.

Just look at what happened with Exai (really, just with Pitchfork, but those dicks are so influential that I'm sure that review score hurt sales of the album). Chaps my arse to read a review that essentially says, "this is all really good stuff but should have been shorter" translated into a score in the 50s.

I hope those dick reviews don't push ae away from releasing long-form stuff or avalanches of material in the future. For my money the quality they maintain despite how prolific they are is pretty much unparalleled in modern music. Sure there are some pieces I like more than others but since my re-discovery of ae they have pretty much been all I listen to.

I wish I could find other artists that anywhere near approached their level of sonic and timbral adventurousness combined with restraint/taste. But no one else does it all. Like, there are some groups that do cool things in, say, the world of German electronic music. But its all so sterile and cerebral. Autechre bangs hard despite doing some things with sound design that would make all sorts of academics green with envy.

I'll stop the ramble here. Point is, I love (Versions) - easily more than the album; I hope PFs nasty review of Exai doesn't deter them from releasing further avalanches of sound; and I wish there were other Autechres in the world.

Well, I finally found a copy through legal channels at a reasonable price. Holy balls this is good. Even the version of IO....I love it. And whoever pointed out that it allows you to see the lineage with Untilted a lot more clearly was dead on. This pretty much renders my "Platonic Quaristice" playlist obsolete, because for my money the versions disc is the platonic form of Quaristice.

In interviews I read SB mentioning that they were trying to choose between releasing a 10-track version and what ended up being the official release. Hearing this, I have to wonder if instead of (versions) as it says, this was the album as originally planned.

from a reviews standpoint, I suppose it was a good call to release Quaristice as they did because reviewers really liked it and saw it as ae changing it up (as if they don't totally reinvent their sound for every album anyways).

Attention spans are getting shorter and I suppose that means that a band like ae is hurt because of that.

Just look at what happened with Exai (really, just with Pitchfork, but those dicks are so influential that I'm sure that review score hurt sales of the album). Chaps my arse to read a review that essentially says, "this is all really good stuff but should have been shorter" translated into a score in the 50s.

I hope those dick reviews don't push ae away from releasing long-form stuff or avalanches of material in the future. For my money the quality they maintain despite how prolific they are is pretty much unparalleled in modern music. Sure there are some pieces I like more than others but since my re-discovery of ae they have pretty much been all I listen to.

I wish I could find other artists that anywhere near approached their level of sonic and timbral adventurousness combined with restraint/taste. But no one else does it all. Like, there are some groups that do cool things in, say, the world of German electronic music. But its all so sterile and cerebral. Autechre bangs hard despite doing some things with sound design that would make all sorts of academics green with envy.

I'll stop the ramble here. Point is, I love (Versions) - easily more than the album; I hope PFs nasty review of Exai doesn't deter them from releasing further avalanches of sound; and I wish there were other Autechres in the world.

To be honest, I consider few parts of Exai to be too long too. Mainly the ending of the Nodezsh and few other moments throughout the album (the ending of deco Loc, the ending of vekoS, the ending of T ess xi). I am otherwise a fan of long compositions but it has to keep rewarding my attention. On the other hand, one of the examples of when a part of a track is too short is the finale of Depeche Mode - The Landscape Is Changing. I could listen to that part on loop for hours if it was evolving enough...

• 2 weeks later...

It is absolutely unparalleled

There is not a single AE release I don't like. There are some I don't love, like maybe We R Are Why, but they are all top notch otherwise

As for Quaristice, I think I prefer versions over the original album. IO (mons) is one of my favorite AE tracks of all time, mainly the second half. it's unbeatable

Given the size of the Quaristice era it makes sense to mix and match tracks to ones liking IMO. Perhaps this was intentional?

Quaristice the album has a perfect run up to around fol3, then goes a bit sketchy IMO.

versions, like Quaristice is a bit hit and miss for me. Tracks are longer but some of them (beyond their length) don't feel all that fleshed out.

perlence losid 2, notwotwo, perlence subrange 3 and no four.x are prob my top versions tracks

I dropped some acid at the weekend and listened to Quaristice. My verdict: this album had to be made for tripping! The shortness and variedness of the tracks make perfect sense here. It's like changing TV channels or something. And every "channel" gives you different audio-visual experience and a new perception. Tho I love Versions and Quadrage EP the original LP now makes sense to me the most.

a longer version of WNSN would have been amazing

latter part of the 20 track release (from Thewere onwards) has some of the best bits imo

Theswere

WNSN

chenc9

Notwo

Outh9x

I don't know. I find it a bit sad that some people need drugs to enjoy Ae. No offence to anyone. Just thinking.

The fuck? I can enjoy Ae without drugs and I do enjoy it that way daily. WTF is wrong with your attitude towards me all the time? I don't even know you, man.

Guest WNS000

I don't know. I find it a bit sad that some people need drugs to enjoy Ae. No offence to anyone. Just thinking.

The fuck? I can enjoy Ae without drugs and I do enjoy it that way daily. WTF is wrong with your attitude towards me all the time? I don't even know you, man.

It was nothing against you personally. There is many people on WATMM that use drugs to enjoy Ae. Some of their posts suggested that they are not able to hear things in their music without drugs. I recalled those posts seeing your post. That is all.

And when I say "no offence" I mean it. I am not a troll. I just share opinions in discussions.

I have nothing against you apart from the bootleg-morale thing (and your attitude against me since then), which has nothing to do with this discussion. I don't know you.

Edited by Jev

Guest WNS000

Even Sean and rob said their music is influenced by drug use experiences they had.

Is quaristice made for trip? I believe so, had an amazing one on truffels on it

Yeah, I know they experiment/experimented with drugs.

I don't deny there is a huge potential to discover interesting parts of your mind via drugs. I just think it is a bit sad that some people might think that Ae is comprehensible only with drugs because they see how strongly are drugs rooted in the electronic music scene. But whatever.