IGNORED

New Autechre/Hafler Trio collaboration

Guest Ephphatha

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about zeven-ten minutes per 'song'. There's a some kind of crowd noise part, an outside part, and even something alien like (and more, all parts with more or less disrupt endings) It's pretty special - if you've got a special 5.1 room and no friends nearby

the above post was only referring to the much shorter DVD disc, im about 55 minutes into the other disc and it's very underwhelming, the changes are even more imperceptible than the last 2 collabs. Loving the other more dynamic DVd disc though

The 'much shorter' DVD is actually longer than you probably realise but the authoring of this disc seems to confuse the shit out of a lot of players. It actually consists of the following:

Track 01 48:26 (first proper track)

Track 02 00:30 -

Track 03 02:23 } These three are completely silent and don't even appear to have an associated video track

Track 04 01:40 -

Track 05 54:30 (second proper track - The first 5 minutes my well induce tinnitus if you're not careful with the levels, the main section is quite nice though sounding like Nostromo by Sleep Research Facility slowly morphing into Hafler Trio's 2004 release "I Never Knew That's Who You Thought You Were" )

So, yeah this DVD runs at 1:47:29

Planning on taking hallucinogens and listening to this in its entirety on a proper setup this weekend ; will let you all know how it goes.

Man I think my heart would explode, especially given the sudden ending at the end of track one

Track 01 48:26 (first proper track)

Track 02 00:30 -

Track 03 02:23 } These three are completely silent and don't even appear to have an associated video track

Track 04 01:40 -

Track 05 54:30 (second proper track)

So, yeah this DVD runs at 1:47:29

Yeah this is what I make it - I opened it up in windows media player and it recognised the tracks straight away (although it lists 10 as it runs through in 2.1 then 5.1 soundtracks.

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, this is actually pretty great! Currently listening. Think i'm only gonna listen to the first disc though for now.

Edit: Wow love the transitions. Sounds like it is actually something physical in the room at times.

This weekend when I put on the Plaid DVD I found out that my decoder only understands Dolby Digital and not DTS, so I'd been listening to this album the whole time in stereo only :facepalm:

Haha what!

I only listened to the first track on the first disc, but it was pretty great. The end was fucked though. It was like the ticking of an oven timer, except you've taken a ton of acid and the ticking is getting into your head and swirling all over the place. Then BZZZT—CAKE'S READY!

Jesus the ending of that one freaks me out every time - It's the same effect as the door buzzer to my flat: I know it's coming but it makes every nerve in my body tense up in shock when the sound actually arrives.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zoinkers Hammyshammy

The much more minimal disc was boring the first couple times I listened to it ... but then I started hearing the changes. They're VERY subtle, just on the threshold of perception.

The 5.1 mixing makes it approximately 9.574x better than the first two. Actually it makes the first two kinda redundant because it sounds like a mixture of both and more.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like those dvds. One thing that i love is that its a really long "album". well just one part last around 2 hours so you really get lost in sounds. I once heard that H30 do not recommand to listen to his records with headphones but i love it that way and those drones are pretty sensual, quiet but physical in a way. Also, like many hafler trio records, i'm not sure it fits with music, rather "in the droney outer spaces, no one can hear you scream" but it's a pretty strong release actually.

i'm hoping one day AE will produce an album that's predominately ambient (much more than oversteps, more like Minidisc) without being steamrolled over by Andrew Mckenzie's style. If no one told me anything i would assume that the last 3 releases were hafler trio by himself with no involvement from a collaborator, especially Autechre. they arent 'bad' just kind of forgettable, even for what genre they are in. I have the sense that in the Minidisc era the creativity output of AE was more confident seeming,these last 3 H3o collabs have a very self conscious feel to them, Am i the only one picking up on that?

i'm hoping one day AE will produce an album that's predominately ambient (much more than oversteps, more like Minidisc) without being steamrolled over by Andrew Mckenzie's style. If no one told me anything i would assume that the last 3 releases were hafler trio by himself with no involvement from a collaborator, especially Autechre.

I agree for the most part, but there are a few parts especially in the second release where you can hear some Gantz Graf style glitching. Or maybe it's the first one. I've only listened once to each album.

But yes I'd love to hear an ambient Autechre album, but slightly more melodic, like some of the tracks from the Untilted radio show test broadcast.

Archived