IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Üç maymun (2008) Because I was so impressed by Uzak I'm watching Ceylan's other stuff. Can't believe I never saw any of his films because this grim story is very powerfull as well. And wow, breathtaking cinematography and acting.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just watched Christopher Guest's directorial debut 'The Big Picture' on netflix streaming. I forgot there was a time when i found Kevin Bacon even remotely appealing, but i gotta admit he's cute as shit in this movie. so is jennifer jason leigh who plays a warehouse dwelling 'ham radio performance artist'

the movie is kind of a satire on hollywood. Some of the themes reminded me of Barton Fink. It's not a mockumentary or even quasi like for your consideration. It resembles a late 80s John Hughes movie, but that's probably because of Shes having a baby which also stared Kevin Bacon. I wouldn't consider Big Picture a great movie by any means but i recommend it. 7.5/10

Üç maymun (2008) Because I was so impressed by Uzak I'm watching Ceylan's other stuff. Can't believe I never saw any of his films because this grim story is very powerfull as well. And wow, breathtaking cinematography and acting.

I'm gonna be watching Uzak tonight and, depending on the experience, will probably follow in your footsteps.

aguirre

stroszek

the enigma of kaspar hauser

nosferatu

theres a bunch..

pretty much everything he made in the 70s is good.

must sees as far as i know - fitzcarraldo, aguirre-wrath of god, woyzeck, nosferatu (klaus kinski ftw)

i also thoroughly enjoyed the recent(ish) documentary, grizzly man.

i still say the making of fitzcarraldo is more interesting than the actual film. i love burden of dreams

Forbidden planet: 9/10

Great old fashioned zf movie, I loved how the whole movie works symbolic. The sounds and visuals and everythings is fine, the only thing that made me feel awkward was actually those crew members acting like they just came from a bomber in World War2, being that silly/horny. But the movie IS old, and I was thinking how different the old generation of star trek looks in comparison to the new and how the new is already to begin to look silly too.

Cool movie anyway, I recommend to those two watmmers that actually haven't seen it yet.

aguirre

stroszek

the enigma of kaspar hauser

nosferatu

theres a bunch..

pretty much everything he made in the 70s is good.

must sees as far as i know - fitzcarraldo, aguirre-wrath of god, woyzeck, nosferatu (klaus kinski ftw)

i also thoroughly enjoyed the recent(ish) documentary, grizzly man.

i still say the making of fitzcarraldo is more interesting than the actual film. i love burden of dreams

yeah i know what you're saying. the grand idea, the feat of getting that boat over the hill in basically the same way as portrayed in the film, the climate and wildlife, the explosive kinski/herzog relationship and the dangerously cautious natives.

the film itself could be regarded as slow and over-long but the resulting tension is immense with some of the best cinematography... madness, obsession being herzog's trademark/obsession ... probably my favourite herzog film that i've seen so far.

I've not watched it yet, but I have to mention that I got Tokyo Fist yesterday (Shinya Tsukamoto), 2 disc special edition, new, for 21p.

Twenty-one fucking pence!

Guest Mirezzi

just watched Christopher Guest's directorial debut 'The Big Picture' on netflix streaming. I forgot there was a time when i found Kevin Bacon even remotely appealing, but i gotta admit he's cute as shit in this movie. so is jennifer jason leigh who plays a warehouse dwelling 'ham radio performance artist'

the movie is kind of a satire on hollywood. Some of the themes reminded me of Barton Fink. It's not a mockumentary or even quasi like for your consideration. It resembles a late 80s John Hughes movie, but that's probably because of Shes having a baby which also stared Kevin Bacon. I wouldn't consider Big Picture a great movie by any means but i recommend it. 7.5/10

awwww, I love that movie.

daybreakers

i'm into pretty much anything vampire related so this was the most lucrative thing playing at the theaters. it was ok. i liked the concept but it was played more as pulpy b movie than anything high concept or interesting. took itself too seriously at times, especially toward the end. but it was sort of entertaining and forgettable. had some decent gore. sam neil's head was pretty lol.

Crows Zero - 8.5/10

Miike's latest film is pretty predictable, but the script is humorous and the shots are beautiful as always. Also, cute guys are constantly beating each other up in it. =]

Guest Fat Roland

I watched A Serious Man just now. 7.5 because the ending sucked.

Oh no, the ending was brilliant. Wonderfully obtuse. The last scene looked like Donnie Darko.

I've just seen A Prophet (Une Prophete), a two and a half hour crime flick. It's a massive sprawling epic about loyalty, morality and endurance. Shawshank meets Godfather with spoonfuls of outrageous racism and THE BEST CAR-HITS-DEER SCENE EVER (even better than that scene from Straight Story).

Antichrist - wtf/10 - This had potential that's for sure. I believe, in my ho-humble-internet-opinion, that Lars von Trier lost himself in this film... he, a lapidary with a dull chisel, had a vision that hung like a thin fog and as it dissipated all that was left were cheap thrills and a few faceless characters... and of course William Defoe butt.

Oh no, the ending was brilliant. Wonderfully obtuse. The last scene looked like Donnie Darko.

If people don't start realizing that obtuse is not a synonym for oblique imma gonna hurt someone.

Antichrist - wtf/10 - This had potential that's for sure. I believe, in my ho-humble-internet-opinion, that Lars von Trier lost himself in this film... he, a lapidary with a dull chisel, had a vision that hung like a thin fog and as it dissipated all that was left were cheap thrills and a few faceless characters... and of course William Defoe butt.

aw cmon Antichrist is awesome.

he explains in the extras that he was basically exorcising crippling negative energy after a complete mental breakdown and regular debilitating panic attacks. he was in a very dark place which he thought he'd never escape and making this film helped him get out. prior to this he thought he'd never work or even leave his house ever again.

he explains in the extras that he was basically exorcising crippling negative energy after a complete mental breakdown and regular debilitating panic attacks. he was in a very dark place which he thought he'd never escape and making this film helped him get out. prior to this he thought he'd never work or even leave his house ever again.

That was a similar situation said by the director of Martyrs. An even bleaker film, perhaps.

That was a similar situation said by the director of Martyrs. An even bleaker film, perhaps.

didn't have willem's erect penis though eh?

that's funny because I didn't really find the film that dark or negative. Dancer in the Dark was more negative. Antichrist was pretty fun.

Archived