IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the informant was enjoyable. 7.2/10

Broken Embraces - Very Almodovar. It was fun. Cruz's mammary glands were very fun. The movie, overall, was ultimately forgettable. If it weren't for the performances, one would probably turn it off before it got to the halfway point.

i totally agree.

have you seen Predator, Total Recall, Robocop 1 or 2 ?

the above is highly recommended

or in the mood for campier action but still awesome check out Commando, probably Arnold's most sadistic streak of killings, and he plays a good guy!

Total Recall for me is probably the best example of what a balls-out hard R action film should be like, god damn i wish sci fi movies were still made with that kind of style

edit: definitely check out Predator, have you seen the Abyss or Aliens?

Guest Mirezzi

Total Recall for me is probably the best example of what a balls-out hard R action film should be like, god damn i wish sci fi movies were still made with that kind of style

Agreed, and guess what? We'll likely never see another generation of films like that.

That's what all these candy-ass, watered-down, milk-and-cookies, PG-13 movies have done...they've guaranteed a better bottom line for studios and simultaneously ruined a once great genre. :rolleyes:

Cabin Fever 2 : Spring Fever

I have to say, I didn't have high hopes for this going in. Direct to DVD sequels are never usually very good after all. Despite some unintentional lols, I enjoyed this. Some of the subtle gore was REALLY good, whereas the over the top gore was really fake. At least there's no CG. There is a shot that made me CRINGE unlike any horror movies I have seen lately. I mean NASTY.

8/10 (thats my generous decent mood rating)

What I find HILARIOUS is that "Rider Strong" (the boy meets world guy from the 1st one) has TOP BILLING for this film, and he dies LITERALLY in the 1st minute of the movie. THE 1ST MINUTE. No additional screentime. Yeah I think that's funny.

Agreed, and guess what? We'll likely never see another generation of films like that.

That's what all these candy-ass, watered-down, milk-and-cookies, PG-13 movies have done...they've guaranteed a better bottom line for studios and simultaneously ruined a once great genre. :rolleyes:

I've been taking a bit of a trip down memory lane lately too, have rewatched Predator, Robocop, Aliens, Ghostbusters, and Beverly Hills Cop. Overall impression is those films really did come from a simpler time, you can feel the tighter running time too - Beverly Hills cop in particular is basically 5 or so different scenes held together by a bit of glue. Another thing I noticed is the lack of compositing software and/or special film stock; now if you want something to look moody or futuristic, you just tint the whole thing blue, but in those flicks the amount of sitcom-esque lighting is striking, even in certain scenes in Aliens. You can really feel how hard they had to work to get the lighting right - smoke machines, whirling lights, etc. Incidentally I think Predator and Robocop have aged better than Aliens, Ghostbusters, and Beverly Hills Cop.

HBO Sports: Magic and Byrd: A Courtship of Rivals - 9/10 - This is so good. This is the era of basketball that I grew up in. The two biggest stars elevated the game with their rivalry and yet were the ultimate team players. It's a style of play that you don't see people playing very much anymore, especially post-Jordan. My only complaint about this is it wasn't long enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxlLCSktpfc

Incidentally I think Predator and Robocop have aged better than Aliens, Ghostbusters, and Beverly Hills Cop.

I agree that Predator and Robocop have aged well, but last year I watched Aliens for the first time and I was just gobsmacked at how good it looked. Don't think it looks dated at all!

for me it made me fall asleep and roll my eyes about how everything was so predictable. It also left me wondering if the movie was inventing all those cliches at the time o what. so yeah it is dated.

yeah Aliens used to be a huge favorite of mine, actually I thought it would never age. But watching it again after so many years, I admit I was bored. Only thing I still enjoyed was Bill Paxton, he made that movie.

i just recently re-watched Alien (well, all 4 actually), and i still think the first one is way above the rest. i might have to check out robocops. i remember watching one like more than 15 years ago.

Guest futuregirlfriend
Total Recall for me is probably the best example of what a balls-out hard R action film should be like, god damn i wish sci fi movies were still made with that kind of styleedit: definitely check out Predator, have you seen the Abyss or Aliens?
Agreed, and guess what? We'll likely never see another generation of films like that.That's what all these candy-ass, watered-down, milk-and-cookies, PG-13 movies have done...they've guaranteed a better bottom line for studios and simultaneously ruined a once great genre. :rolleyes:

x 1000!

i just recently re-watched Alien (well, all 4 actually), and i still think the first one is way above the rest. i might have to check out robocops. i remember watching one like more than 15 years ago.

the first robocop is fantastic and should be about in hd. the other two, ehh, i wouldn't put myself out finding and watching them. watch total recall and the running man instead if you haven't seen them :excl:

The Fourth Kind - 4/10

How can anyone think that the so-called 'real footage' in this movie is actually real? I had to calm my friends down while watching it and tell them that it wasn't real in any way possible.

Anyway, there were one decent shock and the rest was just boring.

Archived