IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest ataraxy2

This post is in utter contrast to my last abhorrently negative ones...

Just saw Yojimbo, an Akira Kurosawa film - it was extremely good. If I were to assign it with an arbituary number it'd be a high9/10. I thought it was unpredictable, but perhaps that could be because I'm not familar with samurai films though.

Primer - 9/10

Love this film. Budget was $7000. :ohmy:

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just watched the Omen, might have been suspenseful if Gregory Peck hadn't have been such a dimwit. Even my Chinese gf who has no idea what Christianity is was yelling "I hate this guy, why can't he see his child is evil?"

"the Orphan" is better. Rosemary's Baby probably is too, though it's been ages since I saw it.

Guest Z_B_Z

so the orphan is worth watching? i almost did once cause it looked kind of funny, but thought better of it at the last minute..

The Corporation - Very well portrayed and thought-out docu. if you've seen food.inc and collapse not much will be new, but it's on a wider scale than food.inc and less grim than collapse.

Zardos - What the fuck. I knew that it would be said, I anticipated it to be said, yet the instant I heard the words "The penis is evil", I couldn't believe my ears. Utterly hilarious film.

The boat that rocked - Really funny and great film.

Guest futuregirlfriend

until the light takes us - varg and fenriz both come across quite likeable in this, and while varg seems to be the smarter and most lucid, both make some interesting points. other people, not so much. worth watching even if you don't like the music, you'll hear their intentions as young men versus what the media and so on believed them to be about.

so the orphan is worth watching?

No!

i second that, and the Omen is a great film, one of Richard Donner's best

hehe, the Orphan was fun tho. I thought the Omen was pretty bad. Apart from Gregory Peck's stupidity, you have the inexplicable decision to drop the main character from the second half of the film. The film switches gears from a nice, intimate psychological thriller to Indiana Jones, with two guys globe trotting to discover the origins of the child, which the audience has already figured out. Talk about killing dramatic tension. I did like the evil nanny and the mother's accident, those were well done.

Guest viscosity

while not an actual documentary, 'addio zio tom' is filmed as one, and if you want to be shocked, id go with that one next.

if you liked 'gummo', id check out 'julian donkey boy'. also check out 'ken park'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUS8GGujwro

slightly nsfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddufqu1mEfM

very nsfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwrSQELv6zU

i'm definitely gonna check these out when I get a chance. 'julian donkey boy' looks good from the preview, haven't seen Herzog in an acting role yet either

avmaniacs forum has a hidden subsection on these mondo docs...

when in the forum look at the root

details top left and click the small

label "forums", and you'll see it

revealed to you.

thanks for the headsup

Guest beatfanatic

Chloe 8/10

The ending was pretty ridicolous but Julianne Moore + Amanda Seyfried getting in on is a winner in my book..

Amanda Seyfried is sooo beautiful. those eyes!!!! those lips!!!!

chloe08.jpg

Chloe 8/10

The ending was pretty ridicolous but Julianne Moore + Amanda Seyfried getting in on is a winner in my book..

Amanda Seyfried is sooo beautiful. those eyes!!!! those lips!!!!

chloe08.jpg

It would seem that we have the same taste in women... I propose a knife fight to the death and whoever survives gets Amanda Seyfried. Deal?

the orphan kicks ass, best horror/thriller movie in awhile

I watched this again tonight with the gf just to see if my impression based on seeing it as an in-flight movie had been way out of whack. But I stand by my rating, tis a very enjoyable thriller (though it falls apart a bit at the end). Makes me want to see Dead Calm and The Good Son again, I like evil kid/claustrophobic psycho stalker films.

the orphan kicks ass, best horror/thriller movie in awhile

I watched this again tonight with the gf just to see if my impression based on seeing it as an in-flight movie had been way out of whack. But I stand by my rating, tis a very enjoyable thriller (though it falls apart a bit at the end). Makes me want to see Dead Calm and The Good Son again, I like evil kid/claustrophobic psycho stalker films.

watch "Joshua" then.

an ex-boyfriend of my ex-girlfriend directed Joshua(I dig it), and a great doc called 'Hell House', about a fundamental christian haunted house here in Texas, almost as frightening as Jesus Camp...which he did not direct...

CJ7 - 3.5/7

Pretty good, gets a little slow near the end. Not as good as the last few Stephen Chow movies. The kid was a bit of a jerk to his alien friend.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

an ex-boyfriend of my ex-girlfriend directed Joshua

you kids break up because she said you weren't directorish enough in the sack or something?

FilmCut.gif

an ex-boyfriend of my ex-girlfriend directed Joshua(I dig it), and a great doc called 'Hell House', about a fundamental christian haunted house here in Texas, almost as frightening as Jesus Camp...which he did not direct...

i thought Hell house was awesome, it's on netflix streaming now

morvern callar - 3.5/10

I remember buying that because I enjoyed the directors previous film, Ratcatcher, but I agree... It was rather shit. Ratcatcher, on the other hand, is quite the film; Little Miss Ramsay has potential for sure.

Guest Z_B_Z

yeah, i remember being pretty underwhelmed with morvern callar myself. ive always avoided ratcatcher because of this. plus ive read in more than one place that its pretty derivative of tarkovsky.

morvern callar - 3.5/10

I remember buying that because I enjoyed the directors previous film, Ratcatcher, but I agree... It was rather shit. Ratcatcher, on the other hand, is quite the film; Little Miss Ramsay has potential for sure.

Ratcatcher is an excellent Scottish film.

For some reason I was under the impression that Lynne Ramsay also directed Red Road but it was Andrea Arnold - it's worth a watch if you haven't already...

Red Road

Bunny and the Bull - 4/10 was like a mix of the Science of Sleep and The Odd Couple, all of the cheesey corn art direction of TSOS and the (not nearly as well written) buddy match up gimmick of the Odd Couple, with a little Fear and Loathing thrown in for cool derivation.....had to turn it off, might finish it some day, might not, isn't funny in the slightest imo

BAD WARP X, BAD!!!!

I need to see 'Four Lions' to make up for this what should have been good, but not good film...

:facepalm:

Archived