IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest futuregirlfriend

Witches of Eastwick - Not sure how I sat through this.

Metagraffiti - Interesting collection of unconventional graff films. To explain any would just spoil it. Particularly good were the Cleaning Unit, Magic Colorz, various animations and the Subconscious Art of Graffiti Removal bits. Recommended!

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Adjective

The American 6/10

some okay paranoia moments, but mostly dull. i didn't care much about any of the characters and didn't buy the love story. either it didn't get as deep as i wanted, or i failed to recognize its depth. was really pleased that it wasn't a 60s spy movie, but that's it.

Guest Al Hounos

We share the same opinion of that movie, but you are far too generous with the number score. 6/10 denotes a film having at least a couple redeeming qualities. Tell me something good about it or I shall have to revise your score to match mine, which was a very kind 4/10.

Guest Al Hounos

Dear Zachary - Hard to review this one critically without seeming insensitive. Obviously a gutwrenching and infuriating tragic story, but ultimately I couldn't connect with it since, well, I didn't know the guy. A deeper examination into the murderous girlfriend's past may have been helpful, or why the courts goofed the custody case so badly. I also found some of the shock-editing and sound effects to be really exploitative and callow. (I took it the guy was a first-time filmmaker, so maybe that's why.)

I dunno, maybe I'm just a jerk/10

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

never-let-me-go

8/10

carey mulligan is amazing.

I wanna marry her.

I wanna shoot a few extra mulligans on Carey Mulligan.

I just watched NLMG & for me it was 8.66 slow heartfelt tween school girl tears out of 10

Splice - Complete popcorn movie, some good effects, not all that great though. Had this amazing knack of turning the more serious scenes in to all out laughfests.

This was like a David Cronenberg film. If David Cronenberg was hit by a cricket ball and lost most of his brain function.

Also I found it really hard to concentrate on the film with Adrien Brody's nose taking up two thirds of every shot.

The Tortured - A complete bag of shit. Worst twist ever. Horrendous acting, laughable plot, crap music. An absolute must see.

Guest Adjective

We share the same opinion of that movie, but you are far too generous with the number score. 6/10 denotes a film having at least a couple redeeming qualities. Tell me something good about it or I shall have to revise your score to match mine, which was a very kind 4/10.

i didn't regret watching it and didn't turn it off or get up to do something while watching, so scoring it sub-average didn't feel right.

i save those below 5 scores for movies that i would never see, like tyler perry's: pigeonholed culture wedding or larry the cable guy's: southern people II

i also had smoked a blunt so...

a serious man - one of a handful of coen movies that does absolutely nothing for me. looked great, well acted, but ultimately a total bore of a film, filled with unlikeable, one dimensional characters and a kind of fetishism that makes it a completely insular experience.

Guest Adjective

curious how you managed to like True Grit

maybe it was the extra southern, elbow to elbow, I SAY EVERYTHING THAT I SEE ON THE SCREEN AS WELL AS PREDICT WHAT I THINK IS HAPPENING NEXT, ACCURATELY, audience that i saw it with that ruined it for me. i didn't mind it being so light but at times i felt like i was watching a hallmark movie classic. and the performances went from great to why'd they use that take a bit too frequently. i'll give it another go in the quiet of my home because i like most coen bros, including a serious man

The Kids Are All Right - 7/10 - Could've been better, but I felt that the performances were lacking a bit.

Mary and Max - 9/10 - Anything claymation deserves at least an 8 automatically in my book. This one still had a lot more going for it...PSH, dialogue, humor, story, style, themes, all there.

The Anatomy of Hell - 7.5/10 - First Breillat movie I've seen. Won't be the last.

Black Swan - 8/10 - Fun movie to watch. Mila Kunis. Better than the Wrestler, not as good as the Fountain.

The Social Network - 9/10 - Important movie imo.

curious how you managed to like True Grit

maybe it was the extra southern, elbow to elbow, I SAY EVERYTHING THAT I SEE ON THE SCREEN AS WELL AS PREDICT WHAT I THINK IS HAPPENING NEXT, ACCURATELY, audience that i saw it with that ruined it for me. i didn't mind it being so light but at times i felt like i was watching a hallmark movie classic. and the performances went from great to why'd they use that take a bit too frequently. i'll give it another go in the quiet of my home because i like most coen bros, including a serious man

i dunno, i probably liked it because it couldn't have been more different from something like a serious man.

Archived