IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

I just watched the social network. Very disappointing. Well not disappointing in that it was exactly what I already expected before all the awards were jizzed over their faces for fuck knows what. The only thing I took away from that movie was that Facebook was created by some rich Jew kids who took each other to court over money. I'm pretty sure most people already knew that. So nothing new and exciting there.

The acting was fucking boring and for the duration of the movie I had to tolerate a desperate Michael Cera wannabe talking at a hundred miles an hour without ever actually saying anything interesting and acting like a massive cunt to everyone he meets. I'm sure Zuckerberg wouldn't be the best friend you've ever had but I doubt hes that bad, and even if he is, at least fucking tone it down a bit so that I can partially enjoy the movie.

The story ended very abruptly and only took it to the point of 1 million members so it already feels like an out of date movie. The award winning soundtrack was nothing to be remembered and the audio throughout the movie was so out of balance that I had to turn the TV up to almost full to catch the dialogue then almost pop my speakers out when any music kicked in. The opening scene in the bar is a conversation I missed entirely because somehow it was more important for me to hear the shit background music. Load of over hyped shit.

on a side note, if you havn't seen Black Swan already, don't bother unless you like predictable endings and a shaky camera endlessly pointed in the face of a very dull actress doing her scared and fragile face for the whole film.

Inception may have its head up its own arsehole and be oozing with matrixesk cheese but it was a fucking good movie with a great score.

lol

:facepalm:

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[youtubehd]_XSTwfdFwIY[/youtubehd]

we live in public

excellent documentary about late 90s internet craziness, the ultimate big brother experiment, etc..

yeah this was good. the scene with him looking in the mirror while slowly becoming unglued was pretty disturbing. my god, the ego on that man...

american_psycho-1.jpg

10/10

(still haven't read the book though, might think less of it if i had?)

it really is a modern classic. too many people talk shit about the end of it, rather than see how brilliant the writing/editing/acting is. me and my friends endlessly quote it on the level of The Big Lebowski.

by far Bale's best performance, IMO.

the director of american psycho said that she failed because

many people think it was all in his head because of the ending, which is not the case, and which the book is apparently more clear about

i was one of the confused people

but yeah good movie, 4/5

american_psycho-1.jpg

10/10

(still haven't read the book though, might think less of it if i had?)

I watched the movie before I read the book (I always do this) and think this might have made the book even better. The movie doesn't justify the violence and his fucked up personality.

'the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford' is the best film of the last ten or so years. ive seen it tons of times now and i think i like it better with every viewing.

Guest beatfanatic

'the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford' is the best film of the last ten or so years. ive seen it tons of times now and i think i like it better with every viewing.

I absolutely love this film. Cassey Affleck trumps Brad Pitt in that movie. The music by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis is amazing as well.

I absolutely love this film. Cassey Affleck trumps Brad Pitt in that movie. The music by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis is amazing as well.

casey affleck is undoubtedly the standout, but sam rockwell is the dark horse of the film. suck a wide range in that character. actually, come to think of it, it dont think anyone puts in a less than stellar performance.

and yeah, the music is stunning. really brings it all together...

Guest Adjective

casey affleck is undoubtedly the standout, but sam rockwell is the dark horse of the film. suck a wide range in that character. actually, come to think of it, it dont think anyone puts in a less than stellar performance.

and yeah, the music is stunning. really brings it all together...

Favorite part of that movie is Ford's introduction to Frank James in the woods toward the start of the film. Sometimes I just play that scene to have that tone in the room.

Let me be your sidekick tonight.

-Sidekick!?

So you can examine my grit and intelligence.

I tried watching jesse james after i heard so much praise in this forum, for some reason i found casey affleck's character, actings and affectations extremely hard to enjoy. I think i ended up stopping it about 40 minutes in. Brad pitt doing a southern accent also seems to not work. Similar problem i had trying to watch inglorious basterds. it seems like it would have been a decent movie with better casting.

Guest Adjective

I tried watching jesse james after i heard so much praise in this forum, for some reason i found casey affleck's character, actings and affectations extremely hard to enjoy. I think i ended up stopping it about 40 minutes in. Brad pitt doing a southern accent also seems to not work. Similar problem i had trying to watch inglorious basterds. it seems like it would have been a decent movie with better casting.

there are some people i run across who put an effort in thickening their southern accent, like they have pride in their countryness. i think of these people in order to survive an actor failing at a southern accent, and for this movie the actor's all hit close enough for it to work. none of this makes the movie better, but it's a nice hack to get a better movie experience sometimes.

im willing to forgive brad pitts accent just like im willing to forgive daniel day lewis's in 'there will bee blood.' the emotion is there, so i can look past it. plus the film is just so well made. the photography alone. i think casey affleck is spot on. actually pretty funny at times.

many people think it was all in his head because of the ending, which is not the case, and which the book is apparently more clear about

but yeah good movie, 4/5

i watched it again, never read the book, and like many people i guess, i'm not quite sure i understood the ending:

the first time i watched it, it was clear for me that the guy is schizophrenic and nothing happened, it was all in his head. but is that what the book says? does the book say clearly that nothing happened or can it be interpreted differently?

but yeah good movie, 4/5

i watched it again, never read the book, and like many people i guess, i'm not quite sure i understood the ending:

the first time i watched it, it was clear for me that the guy is schizophrenic and nothing happened, it was all in his head. but is that what the book says? does the book say clearly that nothing happened or can it be interpreted differently?

The book doesn't make it clear either and it doesn't really matter.

Maybe he kills them maybe he doesn't? It's supposed to show that the yuppies didn't pay attention to anyone but themselves so even if their best friend disappeared because Bateman killed him/her they were simply too self obsorbed to even notice. Even though Patrick Bateman told pretty much everyone throughout the book/movie that he has killed lots of people they don't pay attention to any of it. Then on the other hand it could also be that he was just absolutely disillusioned and wanted to kill these people (both the yuppies and the hobos and so on) because they were the scum of the city. The book starts out with a quote from Dante's Divine Comedy that goes: 'Abandon all hope ye who enter here'. The book is a lot more fucked up than the movie. A couple of chapters even stop mid-sentence. It really makes you question what you're reading because all the chapters are written in first person - except one where he goes crazy, somersaults over a police car, blows up a couple of cars and so on.

just watched Brotherhood of the Wolf (french film). Slightly ridiculous but entertaning enough. Not sure what to give it out of 10, proberbly a healthy 6.5.

The stupid, endless predictable fighting scenes got a bit much in the end.

Archived