IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

A Dangerous Method was damn good I thought. Anyone who hates Keira Knightly will not enjoy it but she plays a mentally disturbed woman with repression issues fantastically. Viggo does an amazing job as Freud. It is definitely Cronenberg. There is fucked up sex in it. They only problem I have with the film is the portrayal of Jung as a sex addict. Fassbender does a great job but Jung was so much more than this film leads anyone to know, by just seeing this film. I would definitely watch it again. A great film about two important individuals discussing issues that make up what we "know" about human behaviour.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sweet movie - 9/10 read the synopsis and it sounded like something that i'd be into. it delivered A+ a sweet movie indeed!

Shinjuku Incident - 8/10 so bad it's good action-drama starting Jackie chan. loved it

best worst movie -8/10 . the second half is fantastic. loved every scene involving claudio fragasso

Guest Xenblake

carnage-movie-poster-2011-1020712857.jpg

7/10

i'll raise it to 8/10

Is it really good? the poster looks retarded.

Lol at John C. Reilly's facial expression hardly changing.

Skipped Ghost Writer. But this actually looks a bit interesting.

Guest ruiagnelo

On these last two months, me and a couple of friends organized a small film festival, regarding the theme "Image - Space", in our architecture department, and for one of the days, i chose this movie called Soy Cuba (1964), which is absolutely breathtaking, totally innovating for its time and that got me into Mikhail Kalatozov, a relatively unknown soviet filmmaker.

Yesterday i watched Cranes are Flying (1957) and it was definitely one of the most exciting experiences of the last years for me. I have never seen anything like it. Kalatozov has a very peculiar way of making films. His photography is full of rich, often infrared constrasts, long takes that seem impossible for a human being to create, vertical/diagonal shots and compositions that really are bizarre, because they are so beautiful. He often films very close to the human face as well, slightly rotating the camera, which gives it a very intense feeling, which i don't recall seeing with any other filmmaker.

This particular film has a pretty common story,

which we all have seen before: boy falls in love for girl (very beautiful one), in soviet Russia; war comes; boy is forced to integrate the army; girl is devastated because she had dreamed of staying next to the boy her whole life; the day he is going to the battlefront, she is late to say goodbye, and can't find him because all the confusion of the departure of the soldiers; she waits time after time for his letter, and never finds a small note he had left on her birthday present, a small squirrel (boy used to call the girl squirrel); girl keeps waiting for a letter that never comes; she falls in love for his cousin; in the end one finds out that this cousin used the boy's drawings so that he could be exempted from duty and also offers her birthday present to another person; girl understands how bad it was to fall in love for another man, a coward one, when the boy was facing death in the battlefront, dreaming of coming for her after the war.

I love how the whole question of the meaning of life is approached here. In the beginning boy and girl are walking around the city while some cranes are flying in the sky. She starts singing some verses about the cranes flying, but she really doesn't understand why they are flying, or she simply doesn't need to. When a soldier comes for her with news of the boy's death, which she never believes to be true, and always keep hope that he will return in the end, she questions one of ederly women about the meaning of life. In the very end, when all the army is returning to the city, one of the soldiers from the boy's division tells her he actually died and suddenly she understands. Her hope vanished. Among all the happiness of the return, soldiers getting back to their wives and children, the girl is lost, walking and crying, holding the flowers she wanted to offer him for the return. The boy's father holds her and the cranes are, again, flying in the sky. She asks the father who should get the flowers, he says she should give them to whom she wishes too. The girl looks at the cranes flying, and suddenly starts giving the flowers to all the people, which she doesn't even know.

Seems like, for a moment, she understood her meaning of life.

It is such a beautiful film, and i hope you can watch it someday.

By the way, for all you film lovers, and especially soviet film lovers, the legendary Mosfilm is displaying pretty much every of their movies for free, with English, French, Hungarian and Russian subtitles, here. There is Eisenstein, Tarkovsky, Kalatozov, Anna Karenina, the epic War and Peace. Everything!

By the way, for all you film lovers, and especially soviet film lovers, the legendary Mosfilm is displaying pretty much every of their movies for free, with English, French, Hungarian and Russian subtitles, here. There is Eisenstein, Tarkovsky, Kalatozov, Anna Karenina, the epic War and Peace. Everything!

Wow, impressive.

Haha I love this: http://www.cinema.mosfilm.ru/FAQ.aspx

Guest ruiagnelo

Wow, impressive.

Haha I love this: http://www.cinema.mosfilm.ru/FAQ.aspx

Well, in soviet Russia, englihs translates you!

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Xmas eve movies

Fight club 10/10

More relevant today than when it was made. Lots of special features on the bluray too.

Gross point blank 7/10

Thought this was my furst viewing but some parts very familar. The dialogue is great but the story only ok. Forgot how sexy mini driver was(is?).

Warrior - 7/10

Great performances by Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte. Tom Hardy looks fucking terrifying. The music was terrible though and the high school students were not very believable. No one going through puberty is THAT psyched about their science teacher.

Wow, impressive.

jazzband! quality is OK, lot of it is on youtube too. coincidentally i watched bits of 'white sun of the desert' on their channel a few days ago. film traditionally watched by cosmonauts before their space journeys.

Kill List is on sale (or has leaked), someone go watch it then meet me back here. The less you know about it the better.

Oi oi you lucky people!

Watched "the Road" last night. That is not a Christmas Eve feel good movie! Good lord.

very disapppointed having read the book

jcvd.jpg

surprisingly unshit - really enjoyed it - who knew Van Damme could act? 6.9/10

Captain America

Really boring. Some critic said it was the best superhero film of the year but it was lacking. Not even as good as thor

Kill List is on sale (or has leaked), someone go watch it then meet me back here. The less you know about it the better.

Oi oi you lucky people!

i saw it yesterday, 75% of the movie was almost perfect for what it is, but then, i don't know...

i was expecting some kind of mental/psych theme but instead i was presented with a cult, didn't like it, ruined it for me, and it made the end scene 100% predictable which was a shame.

i'm not hating i'm just sad cause i was digging the hell out of this movie/10

Captain America

Really boring. Some critic said it was the best superhero film of the year but it was lacking. Not even as good as thor

i tried watching it twice and could not finish. I also agreed with a lot of the reviewers who said that the pre Captain america CGI skinny body was ultra creepy looking.

i don't think the guy who directed it will ever top the Rocketeer, which was imo better than Crystal Skull

i love when Jim Carrey screams the Kirk VS Spock fight scene music

That part always makes me laugh.

Agora - 7/10 - I'd never heard of this film before seeing it on Netflix instant and was pleasantly surprised. Probably, I (mostly) liked this because I enjoy "historical epics". It's also set during a period that hasn't been represented much in film. It's set in 4th century Alexandria and tells the story of how the clash between the pagan upper class and the growing christian population changes the city. The biggest problem is a major character being played by a sub-par actor and the film does suffer because of this. I feel like his dialogue may have been cut down to minimize this too. Watch the film and see if you can figure out which character I'm talking about!

Archived