IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'The Hunger Games' better be good you nutjobs!

Into the second book of the Barsoom/John Carter books. Why can't people adapt novels without thinking they are better writers than the authors they are adapting? I understand placement and flow within cinema but to go completely off track and change whole ideas??? They went too far with John Carter. I believe this is why it bombed. It could have been a more simple film but it felt overrun with ideas, like they knew they might not get a second or third film.

The only change in a story that I have ever been okay with was in Lynch's 'Dune' and the wyrding modules. I am sure Lynch and Herbert thought of the idea together, so that makes it okay. Oh and 'The Shining' but I haven't read the novel. Probably never will.

Edgar Rice Burroughs is dead. Don't fix things that aren't broken and don't assume the author was wrong in not including all of his shit in one novel. Disney assholes. I should have waited to read the books before seeing it. My bad.

'The Hunger Games' better be good you nutjobs!

Into the second book of the Barsoom/John Carter books. Why can't people adapt novels without thinking they are better writers than the authors they are adapting? I understand placement and flow within cinema but to go completely off track and change whole ideas??? They went too far with John Carter. I believe this is why it bombed. It could have been a more simple film but it felt overrun with ideas, like they knew they might not get a second or third film.

The only change in a story that I have ever been okay with was in Lynch's 'Dune' and the wyrding modules. I am sure Lynch and Herbert thought of the idea together, so that makes it okay. Oh and 'The Shining' but I haven't read the novel. Probably never will.

Edgar Rice Burroughs is dead. Don't fix things that aren't broken and don't assume the author was wrong in not including all of his shit in one novel. Disney assholes. I should have waited to read the books before seeing it. My bad.

i didn't think that it was overrun with ideas. What killed John Carter was a lack of a normal marketing campaign. Or any campaign to speak of. People go watch what you tell them to. And that movie would have rewarded that effort for most people. Whom then would have been going in with a positive rush from payola reviewers and crack campaign teams. They may have even watched it twice, certainly with their friends.

-sie-

Guest Z_B_Z

tyrannosaur - wow this was relentlessly, almost comically bleak. i had some issues with the story, but jesus christ these actors acted the hell out of it. the woman who played the abused wife did an outstanding job. more than anything else, her performance is what stayed with me. incredibly talented actress.

into the abyss - ive read some criticism that this plays like a true crime tv doc like '48 hours mystery' or something. after watching it, i disagree. the herzog touches are present and theres nothing lurid about the way the story is presented, as opposed to most television shows. fucking intense and very very sad. a great herzog doc. perfect ending.

i watched both of those back to back last night. it was a bit much.. think ill go for lighter fare tonight.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

John Carter - Not bad. Shame they won't be making any follow ups. As Stanton had the storyboarding all ready to go. Quite sad that hollywood wanted to kill that franchise reallly. They didn't even hype it with the usual marketing budget. Where as i see hunger games posters/stuff everywhere. Probably cause it would have been cheap to produce and is a chick ready franchise. The next Bella and co,.

i saw posters everywhere for JC. not so much on tv as I don't watch that but there was alot of marketing for JC. They just didnt know how to market it. they should have been like "the sci-fi story that started it all" or some shit. hyped it up. the name is stupid and tbh i had no interest in seeing it based on the poster/title. they failed to tell me what it was about. i don't remember seeing a trailer either. but a reviewer i trust said it was decent so i went and it was.

Definitely better than most fantasy films that have been released in the last 5 to 6 years. I agree with you BC, they should have had a more old school feel to the marketing. Cashed in on the semi-steam punk feel of the film. I still am keeping to the idea that they could have just adapted 'A Princess of Mars' without adding any ideas from the other novels in the series and it would have been a better film. The Therns don't show up til the second book and they are not as magical as they make them out to be in the film. Actually the second book kind of blows, hehe. SOOOO....they might should have only planned to make one film. Looks like that is now the plan. RIP John Carter of Disney

tyrannosaur - wow this was relentlessly, almost comically bleak. i had some issues with the story, but jesus christ these actors acted the hell out of it. the woman who played the abused wife did an outstanding job. more than anything else, her performance is what stayed with me. incredibly talented actress.

Recently watched this too... I was expecting it to go in a route similar to... I dunno... Gran Turino, I guess, and was rather pleased to find it didn't. I found it to be mesmorizingly bleak as aposed to mind-numbingly bleak, which I found to be the issue with films such as The Road. I forgot about Peter Mullan... he was also great in the Red Riding trilogy... recently sawr him in NEDS as well. Anywho... I dug it.

It doesnt really stand out in comparison to other road films of it's era, such as Easy Rider... but I don't know, I enjoyed Two Lane Blacktop.... it certainly hasnt aged very well but I enjoyed the ambience and the freedom it embraces. I'll probably never watch it again but was glad I did make it through it.

ther artist - i know i'm late with this, but this was great. brice nailed it. it was naive in that classic hollywood style, but without it being banal. i totally get the hype. yay.

my mom said Hunger Games was like if someone took Running Man and Battle Royale and mixed it with a shit watered down teen movie like Twilight

plus muthafuking 1 to you mum.

ther artist - i know i'm late with this, but this was great. brice nailed it. it was naive in that classic hollywood style, but without it being banal. i totally get the hype. yay.

The Artist - skimmed though it, i agree with the part about it being banal. (heh sorry)

Guest Mirezzi

Senna - 8/10

Only just got around to watching this and glad I did. Gives an excellent insight into racing at the time and what it meant to him.

Yeah, Senna is among non-fiction filmmaking at its finest. It has haunted me for months. Between its raw structure and the incredibly candid portrait of Senna as an intensely passionate and eccentric human being, I found myself caring far more about a dull topic (sorry, but F1 racing is zzzzzzzzz to me) than I imagined possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxNIKqF9aRQ

Guest zaphod

We Need To Talk About Kevin - Some dummy decided to make an art house version of The Bad Seed featuring the most unlikely romantic relationship I've ever seen in a film (John C Reilly and Tilda Swinton) that produces an inexplicably Asian son who shits himself on purpose. 0/10

Guest Mirezzi

We Need To Talk About Kevin - Some dummy decided to make an art house version of The Bad Seed featuring the most unlikely romantic relationship I've ever seen in a film (John C Reilly and Tilda Swinton) that produces an inexplicably Asian son who shits himself on purpose. 0/10

Oh hai honey, welcome back.

Let's get you started on something here...

I liked Margot at the Wedding. Not a lot, but I did. Perhaps 7 out of 10 shits were given. Thoughts?

Archived