IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Melancholia. Ended up with a lot of conflicted feelings about this, seemed to me like the whole film is about that final scene and the sensation it leaves you with, also leaves you wondering about a lot of details in the movie and that is always OK...

but

the movie seems to be all about that final scene and I don't get if all the prelude to it was really necessary for the effect or was it really meant to say something at all, everyone has very different 'deep' interpretations into the details which are always fun to hear, but I'm left feeling that no possible interpretation could really add anything to the whole, interpretations will be meaningless. I also feel that all the interpretations end up being about the film and director's intentions and not about the film's theme, which I don't like.

So

totally.worth.it.and.amazing.in.a.weird.way/10.

Specially worth watching in theater.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Shit Attack

definetly agree alien gets more dull after the alien appears, but still think all the stuff leading up to that is cool. also like the bit where tha android goes nuts + they plug his head in or whatever, that was good. also whats with people who were upset newt + micheal biehn didnt make it in alien 3 ? newt was annoying as fuck + biehn is cheesy.so basically those characters sucked + deserved to die !

american psycho ==== 4 stars out of a possible 10 stars .

robocop = 7.5 robocops out of 10

robocop 2 = fuck watching robocop 2

Pina 8/10 - wonderful use of 3D to portray the recently deceased Pina Bausch's life & mainly her choreography. I was deeply affected by her pieces. Beautiful lighting also.

First Position 8/10 - Film about young ballet prodigies competing internationally. Also, beautiful dancing, lovely characters. Very moving. (Disclaimer, I worked on this film. One of the coolest jobs ever.)

where the buffalo roam - very random and very hilarious.

the galaxy invader - one of those b flicks where everyone seems to be oblivious to the fact that the story is dull, nobody knows how to act and the dialoges are just non-speakable. kinda ed wood-y vibe, but it's too slow to get really entertaining.

withnail & i - boring.

le cochon danseur - this made me sad for some reason. and the last 10 seconds scared the crap out of me.

Ed Wood - possibly the best Tim Burton movie I've seen, & not just because it doesn't hit you over the head with its timburtonness

Alien - one of those movies that I had previously never seen all in one sitting, but like The Matrix still knew pretty much every detail because of cultural osmosis.

finished watching the evangelion tv series that i binge watched, took me 2 days. it was the 3rd or 4th time watching the entire series so today i thought it would be good to watch death and rebirth and it was so BAD, i didn't remember how bad it was, just all over the place. if i paid to watch that i would have slashed the seats.

then i watched end of evangelion right after , which was GREAT, but a little sad like.. got me feeling a bit low you know.

i heard the creator of the series was clinically depressed / suicidal when writing and that makes perfect sense to me.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

definetly agree alien gets more dull after the alien appears, but still think all the stuff leading up to that is cool. also like the bit where tha android goes nuts + they plug his head in or whatever, that was good. also whats with people who were upset newt + micheal biehn didnt make it in alien 3 ? newt was annoying as fuck + biehn is cheesy.so basically those characters sucked + deserved to die !

you must have meant 14

withnail & i - boring.

what? maybe I need to rewatch that I remember it being brilliant

Guest Shit Attack

blah blah blah newt + kyle reece suck blah blah

also

american psycho ==== minus 4 christian bales out of a possible 1000000 megaultrapoints .

you must have meant 14

yeaaaaah or else i meant i would have to be 14 to enjoy that piece a sheeeeeaaat

but to be fair anything with christian bale gets docked at least 12 ultrapoints from the score just for having christian bale in it so the score is possibly closer to a 5 than a 3 maybe perhaps even a 4.5 possibly but then again possibly not. nah it isnt

you must have meant 14

withnail & i - boring.

yeah what? maybe you don't get the "english" jokes. It does go by really quickly and if you don't know things like "signing on" and "the other school" you miss half the jokes.

Rubber - 6.5/10 - Interesting... Decent enough acting, story is wack, but you go into it knowing that. Enjoyed it.

Office Space - 8/10 - Hilarious.

Melancholia

Never suffered from depression so was interesting from that petspective. I thought the end was a huge letdown and looked shit. Reminded me of film from the 60s when they just threw a big drawing behind the scene and brought it closer. Obviously we can know what a massive planet hitting eath would look like but probably not like that. Overall I liked it but felt it was 30mins too long. Cracking norks.

blah blah blah newt + kyle reece suck blah blah

also

american psycho ==== minus 4 christian bales out of a possible 1000000 megaultrapoints .

you must have meant 14

yeaaaaah or else i meant i would have to be 14 to enjoy that piece a sheeeeeaaat

but to be fair anything with christian bale gets docked at least 12 ultrapoints from the score just for having christian bale in it so the score is possibly closer to a 5 than a 3 maybe perhaps even a 4.5 possibly but then again possibly not. nah it isnt

What don't you fucking understand?

Bale is outstanding in this.

you must have meant 14

withnail & i - boring.

yeah what? maybe you don't get the "english" jokes. It does go by really quickly and if you don't know things like "signing on" and "the other school" you miss half the jokes.

Withnail and I is more about the characters and dialogue with a bit of sit com which you don't really get to appreciate on the first watch, its kinda the same with the Big Lebowski hence why both are cult films that fans enjoy again and again

withnail and i is a brilliant film! and i don't need to rewatch it to confirm this.

holy rollers - hacidic jew turns drug importer. perfectly watchable but not going to blow anyone away. the cast, and eissenberg in particular, elevate this beyond just another film about a young innocent being tempted into crime. 6/10

big lebowski is probably my favourite film.

withnail and i just bored me. there was nothing wrong with it i just never really sunk in. maybe i'll give it another go in a less flu-influenced setting.

I AM SORRY TO DISAPOINT WATMM

Guest Mirezzi

big lebowski is probably my favourite film.

withnail and i just bored me. there was nothing wrong with it i just never really sunk in. maybe i'll give it another go in a less flu-influenced setting.

I AM SORRY TO DISAPOINT WATMM

Too late, friend. No Camberwell Carrot for you!

roger & me - ha, that was great. i loved how manipulative it was. the whole search for roger was so hilariously and purposely half-assed. thank you detroit thread. kinda reminds of what is slowly happening in my town atm. and i'm going to be the captain dah.

why do people eat bunnies, though? bunnies are friggin cute. don't eat bunnies. or guinnea pigs for that matter. you monsters.

pigs are cute but i think there is a formula like ( cute/tastiness )*breedability = morally edible

Safe House

Not bad but not really good. Ryan reynolds and denzel washington try their best to save the film, and it's kinda enjoyable in that regard, but it amounts to little more than a shitty bourne ripoff.

Guest zaphod

battleship - i was driving down a particularly awful strip of highway in northern virginia and my car started to overheat. it was disgusting out and from the road i could see what appeared to be a marquee for a movie theater. i pulled into the empty parking lot and decided to watch whatever was showing at that time (around noon). battleship was the only thing playing so i bought a six dollar matinee ticket and a six dollar small coke and sat down in what might have been the shittiest multiplex i've ever been in. there was no usher to take my ticket and i realized i could have just walked into the theater, but one does not simply do this. before the film began i was treated to rave cinema's "crave" reel where frozen up photos of people eating hamburgers (not available in that particular theater) enticed me to leave and purchase more food. i didn't. then i was taken on a ride in some kind of rollercoaster from an eighties computer graphics demo reel and shot out into space where i saw "the future of cinema". this was the rave experience. my seat began to creak as i adjusted my boxer briefs which had stuffed themselves into my asscrack. sweat was dripping down my back and onto the floor, mixing with dead skin particles and crushed m&ms. a trailer began that consisted of subsonic bass tones and vague images where the most important emotional beats were the production company logos. why was i doing this? what did i stand to gain from watching taylor kitsch's premature ejaculation of a career stain the soft, perfumed linens of another summer? i couldn't do this anymore. it was time to make a change. i felt the skin on my back stretch and rip off as i tore myself from the seat, made my way out of the theater and back to my car. i would rather sit in mid day sweltering midatlantic heat and humidity in a car that doesn't run than watch another "fun" "explosive" "blockbuster" "entertainment" that i can complain about later for the approval of people on the internet. i rolled the windows up in my car and let the heat overtake me. eventually, my body gave in and i succumbed to dehydration and heatstroke. my corpse was found two days later by a landscaping crew. i am writing this post from a wifi connection in hell.

Archived