IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

cube 2 : Hypercube -- pretty awesome. If Cube is an 8, Cube 2 is a 7. Way better than I expected.

I'm actually watching Cube 3: Cube zero right now. Interesting so far.... We'll see how it holds up.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know. While watching this trilogy it made me realize how good a portal movie could be. People stuck in the aperture science facility trying to work together to find a way out.

Guest Mirezzi

21 Jump Street - Wow. I had no idea going in that this was going to be like the Starsky & Hutch send-up. Nonetheless, I lol'd a LOT and developed newfound respect for Jonah Hill. Between his excellent performance in Moneyball and the lols he delivered as an actor/writer with 21 Jump Street, he's earned some love.

Tyrannosaur - Heartbreaking. Beautiful. Horrifying. Brutal. Unforgettable. It was very much reminiscent of My Name Is Joe and it's hard to imagine Paddy Considine not being intimately familiar with Ken Loach. Still, I was floored by not only the performances, but the elegance of the script and the photography. I hope Considine makes many more films. A few months ago, I wrote about another film, Biutiful, which for personal reasons made me cry like a little girl. With far more economy, Tyrannosaur is another film that proves you can write narratives that are fair enough to their audiences to deliver cringe-inducing horror and painful uplifting honesty all in the same two hour window.

21 Jump Street - Wow. I had no idea going in that this was going to be like the Starsky & Hutch send-up. Nonetheless, I lol'd a LOT and developed newfound respect for Jonah Hill. Between his excellent performance in Moneyball and the lols he delivered as an actor/writer with 21 Jump Street, he's earned some love.

Channing Tatum was surprisingly funny as well.

Tyrannosaur - Heartbreaking. Beautiful. Horrifying. Brutal. Unforgettable. It was very much reminiscent of My Name Is Joe and it's hard to imagine Paddy Considine not being intimately familiar with Ken Loach. Still, I was floored by not only the performances, but the elegance of the script and the photography. I hope Considine makes many more films. A few months ago, I wrote about another film, Biutiful, which for personal reasons made me cry like a little girl. With far more economy, Tyrannosaur is another film that proves you can write narratives that are fair enough to their audiences to deliver cringe-inducing horror and painful uplifting honesty all in the same two hour window.

spot on. i thought tyrannosaur was an outstanding first full-length from considine and can't wait to see more from him... and i think i might have watched biutiful on your recommendation and loved it!

martha marcy may marlene also had that similar cringeworthy, recoiling feeling but it lost momentum for me somehow, the tension just fizzled out.

but these films made me feel like i was watching real people, often in or on the verge of complete meltdown, in extremely believable and heartbreaking situations.

Guest Blue Peter Cheat

Agreed. My wife and I lol'd muchly.

Guest Mirezzi

spot on. i thought tyrannosaur was an outstanding first full-length from considine and can't wait to see more from him... and i think i might have watched biutiful on your recommendation and loved it!

^5, sweetheart.

Apparently, the half-Scotch in my veins runs deep, as my appetite and tolerance for bleak films is quite formidable.

Guest Mirezzi

biutiful was pitiful. a plot driven on coincidence, emotionally manipulative. inarritu by numbers.

Every other film of his, I'd agree (and have here on this very thread). Biutiful worked for me...intensely so. :cry:

I thought 21 Jump Street was almost perfect for about 1/2 its running time, then it got both a bit too cartoonish (the car chase) and a bit too violent. I wish they could have ended it without a bunch of squibs squirting blood. Up until that point, all the physical comedy and high-school stuff stayed lighthearted and somewhat within the bounds of reality, which made it funnier. Still worth a watch.

Regarding Channing Tatum, I find it funny that the further his career goes, the more pronounced his gayface gets. When I saw him in GI Joe (yes I saw it) and The Eagle he looked like just another meathead, but now he's got that slightly puffy and warped look of too many nights on amyl nitrate face-down in the rug. He seems like a pretty cool dude, but I wonder about his shelf-life if he can't do the "heartthrob" thing.

Guest Mirezzi

I thought 21 Jump Street was almost perfect for about 1/2 its running time, then it got both a bit too cartoonish (the car chase) and a bit too violent. I wish they could have ended it without a bunch of squibs squirting blood. Up until that point, all the physical comedy and high-school stuff stayed lighthearted and somewhat within the bounds of reality, which made it funnier. Still worth a watch.

Regarding Channing Tatum, I find it funny that the further his career goes, the more pronounced his gayface gets. When I saw him in GI Joe (yes I saw it) and The Eagle he looked like just another meathead, but now he's got that slightly puffy and warped look of too many nights on amyl nitrate face-down in the rug. He seems like a pretty cool dude, but I wonder about his shelf-life if he can't do the "heartthrob" thing.

Wow, totally agreed about the third act. It got very boring...car chase? Seriously? Guys with submachine guns, etc.? They sold themselves short there. The lols totally disappeared, too, and the cameo was A. boring and B. expected.

team america: world police - pupeteering work was great (made by guys of killer clowns from outer space fame!), but as a movie it's just bunch of poop jokes. not really buying the allegories (puppets, GET IT???!?) and all the hollywood beef trey parker has. but it wasn't bad or anything.

but now he's got that slightly puffy and warped look of too many nights on amyl nitrate face-down in the rug.

lol, wow

^5, sweetheart.

Apparently, the half-Scotch in my veins runs deep, as my appetite and tolerance for bleak films is quite formidable.

about to watch TYRANnoSAUR

if it's anything like Dead Man's Shoes I'm guessing it will be entertaining and subtly humorous. as well as bleak.

Archived