IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Next Three Days

10/10

Best movie I've seen in a while, very tense. Fans of Breaking Bad will like it. Don't read too much about it, better if you don't know where it's going.

Wow, that's really generous. It's like a soap opera / made for TV movie. It has all the usual elements to pass time when you're sick and stuck at home on the couch or something, but that's about it.

Of course, it doesn't help that Paul Haggis made the movie a personal metaphor for his relationship with and eventual departure from the Church of Scientology.

lol.

and it's another unnecessary US rehash with russel crowe! seriously, original is better.

the movie has the worst title as I have seen it but keep forgetting as the title seems to have nothing to do with the actual film. I think I thought it was mostly shit though but maybe someone will quote me giving it 10/10 previously in this thread

the last three days

this movie could have been called anything. the last three days isn't even important in the film and is thus unmemorable. and probably why it didnt do very well in the cinema. that and the fact that i feel like i've seen it before. russel crowe is a normal guy who has to do extraordinary things. yeah seen that before.

it was the sort of film where one minute you are facpalming and the next you are suprised by how well he planned something out.

basically he helps elizabeth banks escape from prison. it was ok but felt long, which cant be a good sign.

nah, you're good, blud

unmemorable title confirmed!

lol... is 'the next three days' a more appropriate title?

and is the original title 'anything for her' more fitting? (rhetorical)

as a rule i steer clear of these remakes... i've never seen one worth watching anyway.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

The Next Three Days

10/10

Best movie I've seen in a while, very tense. Fans of Breaking Bad will like it. Don't read too much about it, better if you don't know where it's going.

Wow, that's really generous. It's like a soap opera / made for TV movie. It has all the usual elements to pass time when you're sick and stuck at home on the couch or something, but that's about it.

Of course, it doesn't help that Paul Haggis made the movie a personal metaphor for his relationship with and eventual departure from the Church of Scientology.

lol.

and it's another unnecessary US rehash with russel crowe! seriously, original is better.

the movie has the worst title as I have seen it but keep forgetting as the title seems to have nothing to do with the actual film. I think I thought it was mostly shit though but maybe someone will quote me giving it 10/10 previously in this thread

the last three days

this movie could have been called anything. the last three days isn't even important in the film and is thus unmemorable. and probably why it didnt do very well in the cinema. that and the fact that i feel like i've seen it before. russel crowe is a normal guy who has to do extraordinary things. yeah seen that before.

it was the sort of film where one minute you are facpalming and the next you are suprised by how well he planned something out.

basically he helps elizabeth banks escape from prison. it was ok but felt long, which cant be a good sign.

nah, you're good, blud

unmemorable title confirmed!

lol... is 'the next three days' a more appropriate title?

and is the original title 'anything for her' more fitting? (rhetorical)

as a rule i steer clear of these remakes... i've never seen one worth watching anyway.

haha no wonder i couldnt find my review searching. i got the title wrong! or did i? now i'm not sure. wondering how I even came to watch this shite.

the use of the non-word "unmemorable" is unsilly and I unapologise

anything for her is a better title as it at least reminds you that HE did something silly for HER and hopefully you remember the film. the only way i remmeber this film now is when you say russell crow and one other descriptor and I remember

i saw the guard last night. had very low expectations and actually really enjoyed it. some of my enjoyment may have come from my wife not understanding a word or any of the cultural references that I got some of. I really liked the self awareness of the drug smugglers. problem is if i recommend it you will go in with higher expectations than i did.

Im taking a film appreciation class this semester and we are going to watch these movies:

The Artist

Vertigo

A Seperation

He Who Gets Slapped (silent movie with live piano)

Pans Labyrinth

A Clockwork Orange

Holiday

Martha Marcy Mae Marlene

The Exorcist

Barton Fink

Hair

Chinatown

Harold and Maude

I've seen a handful of these films. What do you guys think of the list?

Oh, I also rewatched Inland Empire a few days ago. Seriously, if anyone has seen this one, could you perhaps help me understand what the shit this movie is about?? I REALLY don't get it.

The music is great though.

you're doing it wrong if you wanna know what's it about...

didn't you had the chills when laura dern accidentally mistakes real life with the movie?? oh my the chills...

Im taking a film appreciation class this semester and we are going to watch these movies:

The Artist

Vertigo

A Seperation

He Who Gets Slapped (silent movie with live piano)

Pans Labyrinth

A Clockwork Orange

Holiday

Martha Marcy Mae Marlene

The Exorcist

Barton Fink

Hair

Chinatown

Harold and Maude

I've seen a handful of these films. What do you guys think of the list?

I appreciate those films. but i would expect a film appreciation class to show things I haven't seen already.

Oh, I also rewatched Inland Empire a few days ago. Seriously, if anyone has seen this one, could you perhaps help me understand what the shit this movie is about?? I REALLY don't get it.

The music is great though.

you're doing it wrong if you wanna know what's it about...

didn't you had the chills when laura dern accidentally mistakes real life with the movie?? oh my the chills...

I really like the opening, the ending scene and the stuff with the rabbits. It's the stuff in the middle that bothers me. I mean, Mulholland Drive was pretty confusing too, but it still makes more sense than Inland Empire.

Guest Mirezzi

Bernie 7/10 , One of jack blacks better roles, pretty funny in parts.

I will likely be in the minority here, because I really enjoy movies about fucking weirdos, but I thought Bernie was absolutely brilliant. In fact, it's in my top 5 films of the last couple years.

To me, it was more or less the perfect film to explore (and yes, critique) capitalism, religion, and morality in the U.S.

Jack Black was fucking amazing. Even when he couldn't manage more than crocodile tears, it worked because you'd expect Bernie Tiede - the mysteriously hybrid altruist and charlatan - to struggle with genuine tears.

I could go on and on, but I think Bernie is Linklater at the top of his game and IMO his best film.

Yeah Jack Black was fucking awesome in it... only problem I had with it was the interviews were good but not as funny as some of Christopher Guests stuff... so I cut it some points in originiality... but how the story unfolds is very interesting... maybe a bit hard for people to get into until the main conflict arises.... but I really enjoyed it and am gonna watch it again soon.

Guest Mirezzi

Yeah Jack Black was fucking awesome in it... only problem I had with it was the interviews were good but not as funny as some of Christopher Guests stuff... so I cut it some points in originiality... but how the story unfolds is very interesting... maybe a bit hard for people to get into until the main conflict arises.... but I really enjoyed it and am gonna watch it again soon.

weren't the interviewees real people?

I specifically enjoyed that it wasn't aping Christopher Guest's over the top films. If it had, my opinion of it would have been much lower. Linklater's style was neither Guest nor Coens nor Jarmusch. By today's standards of cashing in on well-trampled territory, it was a very unique dark comedy.

The interviewees were comprised of equal parts actors and real (non-actors) people from Texas.

Here's a nice interview with Linklater where he talks about all manner of things:

http://blog.beliefnet.com/moviemom/2012/04/interview-writerdirector-richard-linklater-of-bernie.html

weren't the interviewees real people?

I specifically enjoyed that it wasn't aping Christopher Guest's over the top films. If it had, my opinion of it would have been much lower. Linklater's style was neither Guest nor Coens nor Jarmusch. By today's standards of cashing in on well-trampled territory, it was a very unique dark comedy.

The interviewees were comprised of equal parts actors and real (non-actors) people from Texas.

Here's a nice interview with Linklater where he talks about all manner of things:

http://blog.beliefne...-of-bernie.html

Yeah perhaps my first viewing was just a bit misguided because I saw it had Jack Black and it started off functioning as something akin to Guest's work. When the tonal shift happened it definitely took me a bit by surprise and was refreshingly unpredictable there after. So the first half will probably be better on second viewing. It still wasn't as laugh out loud funny as some stuff that does use the mockumentary outline, but Jack was highly amusing throughout while not being too ridiculous. So there was a nice feeling of realism as compared to Guest's more absurd characters.

Yeah, living in Texas makes you appreciate Bernie a lot as well, fucking love it.

Linklater's best film, imo.

Really reminded me of The Thin Blue Line but a lot less depressing.

Jack Black will be nominated, not that it matters.

He is my hero.

Moonrise kingdom: 8/10

Not a top Anderson movie for me, but I enjoyed it all the way through. It felt like a youth film and I dig that kinda. I love how his films feel kinda magicy feeling all kinds of shit can happen.

Guest Mirezzi

Martha Marcy May Marlene - Not that it matters much, but I neither understand nor like the title. It's the sort of title where one thinks, before the first frame, they're probably trying too hard. It's beyond me how or why this film was compared with Take Shelter. They're leagues apart in terms of quality and purpose.

Perhaps, limited story and all, MMMM would have been better served by a linear edit. The parallel edit of her life at her sister's and her life with a bunch of weirdos didn't work. In fact, it merely disrupted emotional momentum, repeatedly, until I neither cared nor understood what the fuck was going on, let alone why. I guess it's not a good sign when a scene involving a crooning serial rapist singing a love song to one of his rape victims makes me laugh. The filmmaker was likely going for creepy with the Weird Cult People, but instead it was all just very funny. Funny as in over-directed and over-acted.

Alas, Lizzy Olsen aka. Younger Sister of the Pedo Bait Twins, seems pretty talented. Her boobs are also ample and perky and frequently bared. For that reason alone, I give MMMM 2 semi-rigid boners out of 5.

What was with the Michael Clayton-esque wannabe Deep Thoughts stupid fucking ending? Sometimes, and take it from me as I know firsthand, ambiguous arty endings are the security blanket of chicken shit writers with no idea what the fuck is at stake.

I completely disagree. Watch the Sound of my Voice for the your review to fit a film.

I thought the cinematography alone was enough to make it a great film.

The dichotomy of her cult life vs her life with her sister/brother in law was amazingly compared.

The end is an art house ending but how can that be a bad thing? when life has many typical art house film endings.

Guest Mirezzi

Are you sure you didn't just fall in love with Olsen and her Boobs?

How could you think Take Shelter was boring but think MMMM great? Very odd!

Internets.

Opinions.

(Agreed re: the cinematography, which was very beautiful for the most part.)

Guest Mirezzi

hm, what was so art housy about the ending of michael clayton ? seemed pretty straightforward and believable to me.

Three minutes of James Newton Howard piano and Clooney walking, riding an escalator, and getting in a cab, and staring out window of said cab?

Okay, maybe not Art House per se, but not Barry Levinson either.

Tony Gilroy mostly sucks.

Guest Mirezzi

lol ok, and i'm torrenting duplicity as we speak because you reminded me of clayton, which i really liked, so i wanted to see something else by this guy.

internets indeed.

Yep, and by mostly, I'm thinking of Duplicity undoubtedly, which was pretty terrible.

Michael Clayton was a mixed bag, but I liked it. The ending / microphone gimmick was very generic and disappointing, but I liked the performance of Clooney and Wilkinson quite a bit.

Archived