IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

margaret - 6/10 - too big and ambitious, the director was pointing at lots of different issues and at some times managed to portray them in interesting ways but he didn't really seriously develop any of those points he brought up so it all gets kinda messy in those 2.5 hours. i guess you could still take it as simply a film is about a teen growing up and dealing with herself and contemporary jew-york, which isn't bad and well acted but not too deep either, it was definitely going for something bigger but failed. one thing which is perfect about the movie is the gorgeous, understated cinematography.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not seen the film but I can tell you it would be in b&w because of keeping the film rating a r or 18 (depending where you are)

Showing loads of red blood on screen bumps your rating/banned. Thats why films like evil dead have blue blood.

Ha, I thought about whether the B/W thing influenced the rating, but I didn't consider it could have been done intentionally for THAT purpose.

Like I said, I agree, it doesn't look as gory without color, but it's odd there's some regulations for this.

Taxi Driver 9/10 - until yesterday i'd only seen bits and pieces of this movie, and im really glad i finally took the time to watch it all the way through. My only complaint, and it is extremely minor is that the very final scene of the movie diminishes the impact of that intense showdown. I was hoping the movie would literally fade out into the credits while Deniro was mimicking shooting himself i the head. It makes me wonder if the studio forced Martin Scorsese to put in a happy ending.

Also fun to see a movie as influential as Taxi Driver after watching all the movies it inspired. I was even surprised that parts of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness seemed to pull from Taxi Driver. So many shitty weightless movies about people having breakdowns have tried to emulate the power of Taxi Driver and failed. Deniro was at the peak of his acting ability when Taxi Driver was made, i don't think i've seen a better performance out of him.

One thing I love about Taxi Driver is that it's shot and structured so subjectively (I haven't seen it for ages, but isn't there a scene where the camera glitches out for half a second while Travis revises the direction of his internal monologue?) that you can chalk the ending up to Travis being delusional and basically the filmic equivalent of an unreliable narrator.

filmic, lol

Yeah I wouldn't say it was a happy ending, very little has changed with De Niro's mental state and I felt it was heavily implied that it was only a matter of time until he plotted another attack.

71155_132294760114_1291336_n.jpg

an incredibly pretentious exercise in filmmaking. i'm not even sure what to make of "what happened" because i lost interest so many times. i also found leonardo di caprio extremely mis-cast (and this is coming from someone that likes him as an actor)

drawing flies - what a cool modest little movie. jason lee plays a guy who slowly goes insane, taking his friends with him on a sasquach search while pretending they're just going to his uncle's cabin. it's very minimal, done around shooting mallrats so the cast is reprised, for kevin smiths money. but it's not really like smith's flicks, although it is kinda talky. cool, low-budget b&w movie. nothing groundbreaking or timeless, but fun to watch.

Yeah I wouldn't say it was a happy ending, very little has changed with De Niro's mental state and I felt it was heavily implied that it was only a matter of time until he plotted another attack.

true, i guess i literally thought he had died (with that extreme neck wound) but was surprised when he didn't.

I think what also impressed me about the film is how popular it got with so much controversial stuff in it. Watching harvey kartel try to sell Deniro on fucking Jodie Foster with the line 'you know she's 12 years old, she'll make your dick explode' was pretty impressive. I wish more mainstream movies today were able to get away with this stuff without being Cannes pandering psycho sexual thrillers (lars von trier, etc). The MPAA really fucked everything up

paul - pretty cool sci-fi comedy. i laughed. what's the deal with british making overtly atheit films in the us? it's not as bad as the invention of lying but wow. that probably killed so much good reviews in the states.

Snow white and the huntsman - could have found someone better than the twilight chick and it might have been a decent film.

Interview with a hitman - low budget film with Luke goss. Pretty boring story and slow paced lost interest in watching it after an hour.

beyond the black rainbow

an amazing dream/nightmare straight out of a broken acid trip time machine. all fucked up and awesome.

don't go expecting anything, just enjoy the show.

12/10

I agree in full. it's an awesome experience. amazing music.

i wish i wouldn't have had such extremely high expectations on beyond the black rainbow for months before i saw it, i probably would've enjoyed it more. i still think it was an awesome film, but mostly because of the visuals and the music. mostly style, little substance.

my new strategy for movies is to read as little about them as possible. i don't even like watching trailers.

-----

a.i.

this kinda felt like a bunch of films stuck together. darker than i was expecting. ending is contrived, but still got to me.

sad/10

Archived