IGNORED

New Aphex Twin Album Due This Year

Joyrex

when did RDJ have a kid? was it right after the release of Come to Daddy?

when i said earlier i think he might resent his fans, i was mostly speaking of the fans who were influenced by him to produce music. I feel like Analord was a back lash against all the drill and glitch and idm stuff that AFX biting , and now that everbody in electronic music/idm is copYing him AGAIN by basically ripping off his Analord concept there is no doubt in my mind he has on occasion done the captian picard brow rub in response to that phenomenon

JagsFanMatt-DoubleFacepalmRickerPicard.jpg

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest uelogy

Rich's kid is damn lucky, will be interesting to see as time goes on if the afx magik is in him/her - they have access to allll that gear... :O

Guest AOOproductions

when i said earlier i think he might resent his fans, i was mostly speaking of the fans who were influenced by him to produce music. I feel like Analord was a back lash against all the drill and glitch and idm stuff that AFX biting , and now that everbody in electronic music/idm is copYing him AGAIN by basically ripping off his Analord concept there is no doubt in my mind he has on occasion done the captian picard brow rub in response to that phenomenon

this does make sense... but maybe... too much sense.

on the other hand maybe he predicted people would still copy him and he'd rather them be copying a less flashy and more just straight forward song based format of electronic music. Although i would be rather surprised if he listened to any of the newer post idm Acid techno stuff at all

this speculation is irrelevant in terms of explaining his incentive for making a new album. i don't think that rdj has ever made a completely oppositional album, only the occasional satirical track or single. his albums are beautiful because they take lots of turns and twists, but still have a way of unifying. they prove that electronic music is so infinite. there's still plenty of room to be original and creative, intellectual and emotional, melodic and rhythmic, commercial and popular. rdj proves it.

it's easy to evaluate the zeitgeist of techno - simply give it a name. there's a time and a place to return to the basics and analord fills that role nicely. but i do not consider this to be an opposition as much as it is a curiosity. as if rdj pondered "what about that old stuff? i liked that. i wonder if i made some stuff like that what it would sound like." or perhaps "i still use an 808 after all of these years. let's consider its identity more fully. i wonder if i used all analog stuff. what would that be like?" my point is that it is merely a concept among infinite concepts. opposition breeds similarity and it's only worth taking a piss.

Wtf all that shit about afx having 'dissapeered' and 'wrecked his career' and 'not wanting to please people'.

Bollocks.

When you see afx play you can see in his face quite how much he's fucking enjoying blasting out rave at ravers.

Plus he's released fuckloads of records. We'll see a new one from him this year because he likes releasing music. Fuck knows if it'll be on warp or not.

That article's a pile of shit.

Wtf all that shit about afx having 'dissapeered' and 'wrecked his career' and 'not wanting to please people'.

Bollocks.

When you see afx play you can see in his face quite how much he's fucking enjoying blasting out rave at ravers.

Plus he's released fuckloads of records. We'll see a new one from him this year because he likes releasing music. Fuck knows if it'll be on warp or not.

That article's a pile of shit.

here is a man, who knows how to think.

Guest bunty

on the other hand maybe he predicted people would still copy him and he'd rather them be copying a less flashy and more just straight forward song based format of electronic music. Although i would be rather surprised if he listened to any of the newer post idm Acid techno stuff at all

I think the evidence that everybody has copied Analord is scant to non-existent, and even if this was the case, I find the notion that he'd find it particularly upsetting is rather hard to swallow

Guest Kenneth172
But hes not actually promoting anything. Only a few of the tracks he has been playing lately have sounded like unreleased material, and most of it is stuff he has been playing for a few years now, along with the Tuss stuff that was released. And this interview is so uncertain sounding it makes me think that RDJ is going to have to pull some effort together to provide an LP for warp, so I'm thinking it may take some time and it probably isn't even completely finished. I'm sure he has some tracks in the works, but my impression is that these days aphex just remixes his stuff over and over, even stuff he has already released. Like the promo mixes for drukqs, or the mp3 on rephlex, or the live remixes of his tuss material. I think we have heard a lot of the raw material that may eventually evolve into the songs on the LP(?) but most of the stuff is just so raw sounding and not many of them sound like finished quality to me. I feel like if he had a bunch of amazing tracks ready to go, he would be eager to play them live.

I bet (hope) he hasn't played any of the new stuff live and will surprise us all with something completely different. It's got to be fresh and new. It gets boring hearing people talk over and over about bits of tracks from DJ sets. Plus, if some of the stuff from the new album has been played live then I don't think it's radical enough. Each album released so far has been a progression. It's been 8 years since Drukqs, so there's got to be a progression. I bet he says the new album was done 5 years ago though or summat.

Guest AOOproductions

I think the evidence that everybody has copied Analord is scant to non-existent, and even if this was the case, I find the notion that he'd find it particularly upsetting is rather hard to swallow

Agreed, and to be perfectly honest. At this point... Until AFX puts out an album by Aphex twin or AFX on WARP... The artists in the electronic music scene could care less about him. Other artists only cared when he was releasing albums that critics from legit sources were loving, and his shit was selling like crazy. So the other artists took a hint and realized he was winning on more than one level and wanted to copy him.

Now as it is, AFX hasn't nearly the power on the market he once did, and critics aren't nearly as enthralled with his Rephlex releases. So why would anyone feel the need to be influenced by AFX as we know him today? Artists are more influenced by The RDJ album then they would be by anything he puts out today.

you guys analyze into things too much. who cares about marketing, critics, influence blablabla. in the end it's about the tunes, and he's been constantly putting out quality music.

there's never been a bad aphex release pretty much, some dodgy afx tunes at worse. prepare to be blown away i say

yeah i definitely agree with you. he is now making the best music he's ever made, and will continue to make that which is the most finely crafted and original.

analord is not the first album to have analog synths. Nor is it the first or last time aphex will use analog synths. Unless he dies today of course, perish the thought. Its all down to marketing. If it wasn't pushed as all analog or called analord no one would even be talking about it

Remember, when I said:

well during the 2000s, so far aphex released much more than boards of canada (druqks, 26mixes for cash, smojphace, analord1234567891011, the tuss)

Well, can you imagine RDJ doing hard edge acid and good tripy stuff in 20 years. No. Getting more serious and working harder on the musical form of it all is, however, a way of creativeness into older age. Works with painters... Anyway there's nothing sadder to me than a ages rocker, that thinks he can still rock.

Archived