IGNORED

Guilty pleasures, or cheese you like...

Guest Conor74

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For some reason YT has started feeding me Motley Crue stuff.

Out of curiosity I watched a few things. To my great surprise this show from 1989 was actually quite good:

I mean, yeah, it's stupidly excessive, with all the fireworks, the band rising up through the stage and the drummer doing a 15 minute (I think? didn't watch the whole thing) segment *suspended above the audience* not to mention his spinning his drumsticks *every* *other* *beat* that really gets on my nerves after a while ...

But if you take it for what it is: simple balls to the wall balls to the wall bad taste rock and roll ... 

They're *way* better than I remember them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Limo said:

For some reason YT has started feeding me Motley Crue stuff.

Out of curiosity I watched a few things. To my great surprise this show from 1989 was actually quite good:

I mean, yeah, it's stupidly excessive, with all the fireworks, the band rising up through the stage and the drummer doing a 15 minute (I think? didn't watch the whole thing) segment *suspended above the audience* not to mention his spinning his drumsticks *every* *other* *beat* that really gets on my nerves after a while ...

But if you take it for what it is: simple balls to the wall balls to the wall bad taste rock and roll ... 

They're *way* better than I remember them.

I’m not surprised. 89 was arguably peak Crüe. 

spoiler

Early Crüe is VG++ as well.

/spoiler 

On 5/12/2023 at 11:22 PM, cruising for burgers said:

tune 

caught in the middle of  a hundred and and five

the night was heavy but the air was alive 

Edited by beerwolf

7 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I’m not surprised. 89 was arguably peak Crüe. 

spoiler

Early Crüe is VG++ as well.

/spoiler 

Yeah, but for me 89 was also when I discovered "alternative" music and the accompanying anti hair metal attitude, so in my head these guys were all flash and no substance (with really awful music to boot).

I still feel that way about most of the other bands they're often lumped in with but judging from this video these guys actually did what they did very well.

Like I don't think it's really *necessary* to have such an elaborate stage act, but if you're going to do it at least do it like you really mean it, like they do. Also, this video gives me the impression that even without it these guys could probably still rock, unlike, say, Ratt or Poison.

• Like 1

Nikki Sixx (bass) was the mastermind of the group. Düde churned out some bangers in his prime, for sure. I always appreciated that rather than being a carbon copycat version of KISS, they chose to make their image a tiny bit more satanic-ish. 
spacer.png
(Tommy Lee is also pointing at my avatar, btw)

Edited by J3FF3R00

Since we’re on the topic of 80’s/early 90’s cheeze metal….

For anyone interested, I have a massive playlist of the stuff that’s well worth a shuffle (I fancy myself a connoisseur, of sorts) …

• Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

Though as a thrash metal disciple I was always taught to hate 'hair metal' I always, and still do love this track

Hahaha … Title track from this album is pretty good too, but like this one I never know much is the band and how much the producer.

1 hour ago, J3FF3R00 said:

For anyone interested, I have a massive playlist of the stuff that’s well worth a shuffle (I fancy myself a connoisseur, of sorts) …

Oh boy …

Poison? Really? ;-)

I see you included LA Guns, though. That’s cool. 👍

Will save this for … uhm … later reference 😂

• Big Brain 1

1 hour ago, Limo said:

Hahaha … Title track from this album is pretty good too, but like this one I never know much is the band and how much the producer.

Oh boy …

Poison? Really? 😉

I see you included LA Guns, though. That’s cool. 👍

Will save this for … uhm … later reference 😂

Bro. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. 
I have 90 hours of Dokken, Y&T, Kix, Yngwie, Stryper, Great White, Helix, Krokus, Trixter, Hanoi Rocks, etc, etc…

It actually is a pretty interesting time capsule. Something about the pre-nirvana heyday of jockish androgyny with trashy/virtuosic theatrics that takes itself dead serious really warms my heart. I think it is because that era was when I started really discovering music and playing guitar. It seemed, at the time, like all of those tropes were very alluring. I remember being 10 and badly wanting stretch pants and a belt made out of bullets. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Bro. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. 
I have 90 hours of Dokken, Y&T, Kix, Yngwie, Stryper, Great White, Helix, Krokus, Trixter, Hanoi Rocks, etc, etc…

It actually is a pretty interesting time capsule. Something about the pre-nirvana heyday of jockish androgyny with trashy/virtuosic theatrics that takes itself dead serious really warms my heart. I think it is because that era was when I started really discovering music and playing guitar. It seemed, at the time, like all of those tropes were very alluring. I remember being 10 and badly wanting stretch pants and a belt made out of bullets. 

Yup. Spent some time going through it to refresh my memory. Your list is fantastically thorough. Thanks!

Some quick observations:

• Poison: still no, but I’ll admit they’re like a really well trained pub band so I guess that’s the appeal.
  • Warrant: oh god no. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.
  • Ratt: the most 80s thing imaginable and therefore dull, but very competent.
  • Cinderella: couldn’t for the life of me remember what they sounded like. Very good, it turns out. Like a mix between AC/DC and Motley Crue.

Like you, I was very young when this was relevant. 13/14. Hated the ballads but liked the energetic stuff. But then I discovered punk rock and “alternative” and I was so glad there existed music that was loud and energetic but that didn’t use those blues rock clichés all the time that I dumped absolutely all of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Not that I care if people get to know... My absolute favourite song in the normal human beings realm is this absolute masterpiece mankind has created:

Followed by this one:

And this brings me back to my childhood:

For some other unusual stuff, arghh love it:

Let's not forget Ängie who smoked weed and ate a cat

Edited by WurstPLUS
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I adore Andreas Scholl. Awesome countertenor, awesome guy. Singing "Venus birds" - catchy melody which cannot be removed from your brain, once heard. I love early music with luth and singing, calms me down.

Edited by WurstPLUS

2023 AOTY

anything Abysmal Spectre touches really. Dude crafts the greatest artisanal cheese I’ve heard in ages but his side project Curt’an Wall’s Siege Ubsessed (which is way bigger in scope and production  than any of his Old Nick releases) may be his best yet.

Although Ghost O’Clock is pretty fucking devastating in it’s own right!

• 3 weeks later...