IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

(Omitting my original post cos it's too damn long, sorry...)

This is by far my favourite album (and that's saying a lot, because I really love all the other albums). You mentioned that you were wondering if it's about the melodies or the structure? Well, I don't think it's about either. I think it's primarily about the interplay between different voices. This is, in my opinion, a predominantly contrapuntal album. I really enjoy it, but I come from a classical music background, so I think I might be looking for something different in autechre than most autechre fans are.

That's possible. I'm definitely NOT from a classical background. I've got good ears but I can't read music; what little theory I know I learned from classical/jazz oriented friends in school. I remember when I first heard it I was all excited about counterpoint and I dusted off my copy of Switched on Bach and I thought I was hearing all this new stuff in it. Then maybe because the warm weather just started aI want to hear something rawer, more structurally simple and maybe more texturally complex, or maybe just crustier/dustier.

Or maybe it was just too much effort for me to try to intuitively/autodidactically figure out this counterpoint thing. I don't think I want to learn too much theory beyond the descriptions of fugues in Gödel, Escher, Bach. Not my style really, not what I'm after, so for now I relegate myself to not getting it.

FWIW my faves are probably, in descending order:

Quaristice

Chiastic Slide/Envane

Amber

Draft

Cichlisuite

Garbage

the Flex set (I'm pretty sick of Tri Repetae but I really, really dig this deconstruction of it)

EP7

As I hinted at in my first post, I think it has something to do with their interaction with the machines on these albums. There is an improvisational feel to these that seems to be lacking in the rest. Maybe this is just a sign that I need to seek out more jazz, noise, improvisational stuff to get the detail fix I used to get from Autechre.

For the record, I did not mean to imply that musical theory knowledge is required to appreciate the counterpoint in oversteps. All it takes is the ability to identify the different voices, and it sounds like you can easily do that. Sounds like this just isn't the kind of music you're wanting to listen to at the moment, which is alright.

I kinda hope that they take this counterpoint, and then mix it with the amazing song construction on Untilted. I like how all the tracks in Untilted develop in interesting ways. They all have multiple sections. It would interesting if autechre combined that with the counterpoint on Oversteps. But knowing them they'll go in a completely different direction and I'll love it all the same.

Guest theSun

this album sounded too noodly to me until i really felt the rhythms. they are supposed to be sporadic sounding, as in redfall and O=0, but ultimately the tracks tie themselves together in a way that is fairly satisfying for me. as with most autechre, i began to appreciate it when i could tap my foot and really feel the groove. i absolutely love the way they lose it, then bring it back precisely, yet unpredictably.

the only thing i still don't like about this album at all is the highish mega reverbed synth in krylon that destroys the rest of the tracks in the song for a few seconds at a time. the one that has that half step dissonant change. i like to blast autechre, but i fear for the welfare of my speakers if this one is too loud.

Guest Bornnover

I have downloaded this album through bleep.. ehh.. third January in 24-kbit WAVEs and I've got some notices:

- There was no album art contained in the archive, its a pity. Just a high-quality main cover would be nice.

- I have listened a lot of times to Oversteps since purchase and I can say, that it's strong point is in continuous atmosphere - i feel like tracks are just a part of big complex track with musical ideas flowing and morphing. Expect known(1) it's not worth listening to any track alone, without context of others. I especially like sound of synths - calm and beautiful. Even it's not the best Autechre albums for me, it's stil a really great piece of music.

I have downloaded this album through bleep.. ehh.. third January in 24-kbit WAVEs and I've got some notices:

- There was no album art contained in the archive, its a pity. Just a high-quality main cover would be nice.

- I have listened a lot of times to Oversteps since purchase and I can say, that it's strong point is in continuous atmosphere - i feel like tracks are just a part of big complex track with musical ideas flowing and morphing. Expect known(1) it's not worth listening to any track alone, without context of others. I especially like sound of synths - calm and beautiful. Even it's not the best Autechre albums for me, it's stil a really great piece of music.

track-by-track artwork

for her pleasure

Guest Bornnover

track-by-track artwork

for her pleasure

Thank you, that's what I am looking for!

Yeah i have to agree, the whole album has elements in every track that make it a unified whole... i think known(1) is awesome personally, and for me it doesn't stand out of place the most on the album. I've found a lot of similarity of that of a Floyd album... the first time i heard that huge deep bass line on ilanders, it reminded me of The Wall and in particular "the thin ice" similar bass line. i've never, ever related AE to Floyd.... Oversteps is a welcomed delight, and the Floyedness i feel on the album is an added bonus for me as i grew up with Floyd, and in essence, they have led me in the path i'm at today... progressive electronic music

hah, the first time i heard ilanders too i thought of the thin ice. the floyd works in mysterious ways, and oversteps has great replay value.

don't know if it has been mentioned already, but theres a typo inside my copy of Oversteps

when i play it on my cd walkman (fuck ipods) and info comes up on a li'l screen, it says:

"AURECHRE"

:emotawesomepm9:

don't know if it has been mentioned already, but theres a typo inside my copy of Oversteps

when i play it on my cd walkman (fuck ipods) and info comes up on a li'l screen, it says:

"AURECHRE"

ahh so there is CD-TEXT on this release

"AURECHRE"

is it a japanese import copy? :emotawesomepm9:

Guest victorian sewer rituals
Anyone else feeling this way too, or is it all love?

I love oversteps myself, but I can see why some people wouldn't. To me its one of their top 3 works along with draft and untilted. It's a very different feeling record from their others - it is very specific to itself i.e., it is its own context. It is entirely its own world and the tracks are all one thing, even moreso than their previous records. Oversteps is akin to Confield to me in terms of the leap they're making.

Anyone else feeling this way too, or is it all love?

I love oversteps myself, but I can see why some people wouldn't. To me its one of their top 3 works along with draft and untilted. It's a very different feeling record from their others - it is very specific to itself i.e., it is its own context. It is entirely its own world and the tracks are all one thing, even moreso than their previous records. Oversteps is akin to Confield to me in terms of the leap they're making.

Yeah I could see that. I was thinking along these lines today, that what bugs me about it is the lack of vestiges. I love hearing details that tether one Autechre release to the next, that bolster the notion that their albums are just condensed snippets of a section of one long musical journal.

Guest qb0dp

God 300 pages already...

I've been reading them all day after day without posting...which is a shame but i always need some time (just like when i watch a movie i can't once it's finished say what i thought of it), just as if i need to digest the lp and in this case that went down very well !

I didn't listen to the leaks and waited for bleep to deliver the files (because i couldn't wait for the physical release, but it feels strange not to have the cd or vinyl in the hands,it's just like something is missing, i'll buy it in july i guees with more of ten.

The only thing i feel this time is that i can't just listen to one track of it, listening just the one track doesn't seem to make sense to me, i have to listen every track one after the other to fully apreciate it, just as if it was a book and if you miss a chapter suddenly the rest doesn't make sense... (do i make sense anyway here ?)

That's the first time this happens to me, weird innit ?

Anyway i reallly love it and it's been playing a while now, very looking forward to july and the next delivery :rdjgrin:

The only thing i feel this time is that i can't just listen to one track of it, listening just the one track doesn't seem to make sense to me, i have to listen every track one after the other to fully apreciate it, just as if it was a book and if you miss a chapter suddenly the rest doesn't make sense... (do i make sense anyway here ?)

That's the first time this happens to me, weird innit ?

i've experienced the same except for pt2ph8

Guest Hanratty

i gotta say that this album doesnt interest me much anymore. Treale has lost its luster. only "qplay" still grabs me and makes me want to listen. 301 pages!