IGNORED

Who designed the Aphex Twin logo?

The Dark Lord

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I recall correctly, the software company Valve developed the logo back in year 1998 and licensed it to James for a paltry $50 USD.

That's not true whatsoever.

Paul Nicholson designed the logo, did an interview with him about SAW2's design way back when, and even have some early prototypes of the logo and font he designed for Richard.

Paul was originally one of Richard's dancers he had on stage during his early live performance/touring days.

Oh, here's the interview, thanks to the the Internet Wayback Machine:

Paul Nicholson on Selected Ambient Works Volume 2.

Prototype 21 faxatak: 11:11:94

f.a..o. Matthew james. Newport school of art.

Re. Can you help me prototype 21?

The basic concept behind the ambient 2 design was to create a non-written track-listing where categorisation of the tracks was based on their time signatures. Firstly i had to establish a system that would work across all 3 formats (l.p. c.d. m.c.) to this end the 25 tracks of the collection divided into 6 groups these being 5 groups of 4 and 1 group of 5. From this point on all designwork was entirely structured on mathematics.

Each track playing time, the overall length of each group and the total playing time of the collection was worked out. Once all the various times were established (as in 60 seconds per minute) they were converted into decimal. With the times in decimal it was then possible to convert each of the track times into a percentage of its respective group. The reason for the conversion of time into decimal percentages was so that a graphic representation of time could be created. In the case of ambient 2 this was achieved through the use of pie charts .

As well as the pie chart each track's time is represented also by the dimensions of the photograph they appear in. To establish the dimensions of each photograph the total usable surface area dedicated to them had to be worked out and then divided by 6 for each group of tracks. The area allocated to each group was further divided by the percentages given to each track. From the area allocation of each track its dimensions were worked out. For example: each of the six groups on the l.p. format was allocated 130cm2. Group a being 25 minutes 58 seconds became 25.96 (once converted to decimal.) Track a1 being 7 minutes 32 seconds became 7.53. Track a1 became 29% of group a.. 29% of 130cm2 is 38 cm2 which ended up with a photograph of dimensions 5 x 7.6cm. this method was used to determine the area of the photographs across all three formats with the area allocation obviously differing due to the size differential between the formats.

Each pie chart within the photograph has 1 segment that is filled in which refers to the track it represents with the segments being arranged from 0-360 degrees clockwise. to help distinguish each of the 6 groups of tracks colour coding was adopted. For example: track a1 pie chart segment was located between 0-104 degrees and is coloured olive.

Once all the above was completed the layout of the photographs was based on aesthetic judgement following a loose grid system. The work for this collection was started december 1993 with 1 month given to its completion. With hindsight more time would have meant a closer realisation to what i had hoped to achieve as i feel there is not enough visual clues as to what i was getting at. As far as ambient 2 is concerned i have had no other opportunity to follow this line of thought, and probably wont through music related graphic work, but have continued to experiment generally with aspects of visual communication.

Article reprinted with kind permission of Paul Nicholson.

Guest MetalLizard

If I recall correctly, the software company Valve developed the logo back in year 1998 and licensed it to James for a paltry $50 USD.

That's not true whatsoever.

Paul Nicholson designed the logo, did an interview with him about SAW2's design way back when, and even have some early prototypes of the logo and font he designed for Richard.

Paul was originally one of Richard's dancers he had on stage during his early live performance/touring days.

Oh, here's the interview, thanks to the the Internet Wayback Machine:

Paul Nicholson on Selected Ambient Works Volume 2.

Prototype 21 faxatak: 11:11:94

f.a..o. Matthew james. Newport school of art.

Re. Can you help me prototype 21?

The basic concept behind the ambient 2 design was to create a non-written track-listing where categorisation of the tracks was based on their time signatures. Firstly i had to establish a system that would work across all 3 formats (l.p. c.d. m.c.) to this end the 25 tracks of the collection divided into 6 groups these being 5 groups of 4 and 1 group of 5. From this point on all designwork was entirely structured on mathematics.

Each track playing time, the overall length of each group and the total playing time of the collection was worked out. Once all the various times were established (as in 60 seconds per minute) they were converted into decimal. With the times in decimal it was then possible to convert each of the track times into a percentage of its respective group. The reason for the conversion of time into decimal percentages was so that a graphic representation of time could be created. In the case of ambient 2 this was achieved through the use of pie charts .

As well as the pie chart each track's time is represented also by the dimensions of the photograph they appear in. To establish the dimensions of each photograph the total usable surface area dedicated to them had to be worked out and then divided by 6 for each group of tracks. The area allocated to each group was further divided by the percentages given to each track. From the area allocation of each track its dimensions were worked out. For example: each of the six groups on the l.p. format was allocated 130cm2. Group a being 25 minutes 58 seconds became 25.96 (once converted to decimal.) Track a1 being 7 minutes 32 seconds became 7.53. Track a1 became 29% of group a.. 29% of 130cm2 is 38 cm2 which ended up with a photograph of dimensions 5 x 7.6cm. this method was used to determine the area of the photographs across all three formats with the area allocation obviously differing due to the size differential between the formats.

Each pie chart within the photograph has 1 segment that is filled in which refers to the track it represents with the segments being arranged from 0-360 degrees clockwise. to help distinguish each of the 6 groups of tracks colour coding was adopted. For example: track a1 pie chart segment was located between 0-104 degrees and is coloured olive.

Once all the above was completed the layout of the photographs was based on aesthetic judgement following a loose grid system. The work for this collection was started december 1993 with 1 month given to its completion. With hindsight more time would have meant a closer realisation to what i had hoped to achieve as i feel there is not enough visual clues as to what i was getting at. As far as ambient 2 is concerned i have had no other opportunity to follow this line of thought, and probably wont through music related graphic work, but have continued to experiment generally with aspects of visual communication.

Article reprinted with kind permission of Paul Nicholson.

You can either read that long ass quoted post by Joyrex, or you can spare your sanity and go with what I said earlier. A measly $50 dollars.

Shit, if that's true, he was getting ripped off at $50, seeing as he'd already been using the logo for several years before 1998

• 9 months later...
Guest Kid Tutu

Didn't the same guy (Paul Nicholson) design the logo for 'Quirky'...? A club in the UK 'round '93/'94... I saw very early live sets from Autechre, Locust, Autocreation, Sun Electric, etc... there, and the logo on the flyers was done in the same 'Aphex' font.

Didn't the same guy (Paul Nicholson) design the logo for 'Quirky'...? A club in the UK 'round '93/'94... I saw very early live sets from Autechre, Locust, Autocreation, Sun Electric, etc... there, and the logo on the flyers was done in the same 'Aphex' font.

Yes I was thinking the same thing the other day.

Shit, if that's true, he was getting ripped off at $50, seeing as he'd already been using the logo for several years before 1998

No, that's not true at all - the logo was created way before Half Life even came out. Why people think they're being 'funny' by spreading disinformation like this...

No, that's not true at all - the logo was created way before Half Life even came out. Why people think they're being 'funny' by spreading disinformation like this...

Trolls maybe? It's the internet, Joyrex.

I just took it as a joke, myself. Whenever I wear my 'twin shirt around fellow geeklings someone mentions lambda or Half-Life. Of course on occasion you run into someone who is a geek, and in the know.

Trolls maybe? It's the internet, Joyrex.

Yes, I know, but this kind of disinformation unfortunately becomes 'fact', and then we get debates like heat/night and "Outside Kick Ass Violin Solo"...

Joy Rex is just upset because Joy Rex created the Aphex Twin logo in a 2007 crowdsourcing competition.

No, Joy Rex is upset that baph is rubbing his butt on Joy Rex's carpet.

• 4 years later...

Verified.

Holy cow, ZAZBanned on Page 1, he would believe anything. He actually thought Toby Anstis designed the logo :mellow: then he believed it was designed by a company called Valve in 1998 even though it'd been getting used for years before that. ZAZ would believe anyting anyone told him. So gullible.

• 4 years later...

Rather than make ANOTHER thread about the Aphex logo, I figured I'd just post this here...

https://themethod.in/magazine-accidental-sweeps-of-the-hand/

Some jazz, but it's a new interview, maybe??

edit

Mods, is there any way to combine all of the Aphex logo threads? If not, nbd. Just curious.

^mad props for the article above, fascinating read. i'm all for an aphex twin logo megathread, if anyone is willing to go thru all the various threads and stuff to make it happen.

seeing early drafts of the logo is very interesting indeed. i remember how in 2014 rich said the logo is a "sigil" designed to create a kind of psychic influence on the world

For example: the Aphex Twin sigil, which recently floated on blimps over London and Bristol. “You think of something that you want to happen, then you turn it into something that looks like a magic symbol, and then you put it out in the world, and it works,” James said. “It does … But if you tell anyone what the symbol means, then it will stop working. I’ve got a new [sigil] that’s been in development for ages but it’s not looking right yet.”

link here. and since i read that i've always wondered what the SIGIL is supposed to be.spacer.png

someone kneeling down? someone with their head bowed? someone/something being stretched out, or penetrated by something?

c'mon, people! use your imagination!

Archived