IGNORED

The Avalanches - tba

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

it's tremendously baffling why there's such a huge anticipation for this... i mean, australian stoner easy-listening "sampledelic" post-mo wax sub-gorillaz hip hop is surely about the least appealing thing possible in 2016 right?

Yeah, I don't get it either, fair or not these guys took too fookin long and and as a consequence are firmly rooted in the past, and this is coming from someone who still loves Since I Left You. Reckon just like the older brothers of my youth waxing on about how great sonic youth and the pixies are and hence I must revere them, there's probably no shortage of aging hipsters telling the dumb blog interns in their employ that the Avalanches are important and you must revere them.

Also I'm pretty sure that glowy green shit is weak sauce and that Doom's verse was phoned in. They'll bank plenty of licensing checks I'm sure which will more than cover the costs of sample clearance, so good for them.

Pfork repped the shit out of this album in it's best of 00s lists, including best music video and best album in the top 10 (#1 and #3 respectively IIRC). Which I agree with but the catch is that pfork informs so many other bullshit lazy music writers and lists that many rep this album without realizing:

1. it's a novelty record, a plunderphonic tour de force with lovely moments but still, a novelty record, there are far more great, emotionally charged sample heavy records to listen to, whether it's Land of the Loops or The Books. or more staight-up dj mixes like 2 many dj's - radio soulwax pt. 2 or dj ruptures gold teeth thief mixes, both of which i rank as highly (and did for a friends top 100 of the 00s list i help contribute too a while back for fun)

2. it's the tail-end of ninja tune/mo' wax era turntablism which produced a plethora of great albums besides this and entroducing

3. it's a one-off band

The irony of this being so touted to so many in the age or listacles, streaming, and superficial listening habits is kids will name-check this album or assume it's important without knowing why or experiencing it without the expectations that it's a masterpiece. I remember listening to a podcast with two popular vaporwave and they talked about how they haven't even bothered listening to it despite hearing of it so often (on the flipside panda bear's comfy in nautica is beloved by many)

This has dragged on so long I'm kind of dreading it. Not heard it yet but I imagine it'll be, at best, a fun but needless release. There are other bands that have been in this boat - a group like Os Mutantes comes to mind, that has this is iconic and influential era of releases, a long hiatus, and then comes back with this impossible task of trying to make something in the same league as their past work.

Edited by joshuatx

it's tremendously baffling why there's such a huge anticipation for this... i mean, australian stoner easy-listening "sampledelic" post-mo wax sub-gorillaz hip hop is surely about the least appealing thing possible in 2016 right?

Yeah, I don't get it either, fair or not these guys took too fookin long and and as a consequence are firmly rooted in the past, and this is coming from someone who still loves Since I Left You. Reckon just like the older brothers of my youth waxing on about how great sonic youth and the pixies are and hence I must revere them, there's probably no shortage of aging hipsters telling the dumb blog interns in their employ that the Avalanches are important and you must revere them.

Also I'm pretty sure that glowy green shit is weak sauce and that Doom's verse was phoned in. They'll bank plenty of licensing checks I'm sure which will more than cover the costs of sample clearance, so good for them.

Pfork repped the shit out of this album in it's best of 00s lists, including best music video and best album in the top 10 (#1 and #3 respectively IIRC). Which I agree with but the catch is that pfork informs so many other bullshit lazy music writers and lists that many rep this album without realizing:

1. it's a novelty record, a plunderphonic tour de force with lovely moments but still, a novelty record, there are far more great, emotionally charged sample heavy records to listen to, whether it's Land of the Loops or The Books. or more staight-up dj mixes like 2 many dj's - radio soulwax pt. 2 or dj ruptures gold teeth thief mixes, both of which i rank as highly (and did for a friends top 100 of the 00s list i help contribute too a while back for fun)

2. it's the tail-end of ninja tune/mo' wax era turntablism which produced a plethora of great albums besides this and entroducing

3. it's a one-off band

The irony of this being so touted to so many in the age or listacles, streaming, and superficial listening habits is kids will name-check this album or assume it's important without knowing why or experiencing it without the expectations that it's a masterpiece. I remember listening to a podcast with two popular vaporwave and they talked about how they haven't even bothered listening to it despite hearing of it so often (on the flipside panda bear's comfy in nautica is beloved by many)

This has dragged on so long I'm kind of dreading it. Not heard it yet but I imagine it'll be, at best, a fun but needless release. There are other bands that have been in this boat - a group like Os Mutantes comes to mind, that has this is iconic and influential era of releases, a long hiatus, and then comes back with this impossible task of trying to make something in the same league as their past work.

pretty much agree with all of this

the raps are mixed really badly here, shouldn't be taking a back seat to the tuba (loads of messy nonsense going on in the background during Doom's bit as well which doesn't help)

but like...

the new song sounds like it could have been a gorrilaz song in 2000

yeah but like a half-baked b-side, or something from a crappier Fatboy Slim album

there's just no energy or funk nor the dense playfulness of their sample heavy production: the one fun goofy sample - the sound of music sample that comes in - is so damn belated

It's not a terrible song but a forgettable and shallow one musically, someone said it's practically a Heineken commercial tune, but imo not even one from 2016 but the mid-00s. Since I left you was such a party summer-y album but there are so many chillwave and beat tape producers who've made stuff since (Monster Rally is a good example) that makes this single sound so lame and needless

I think you guys are taking this way too seriously. It's a fun if slightly goofy track. The Gorrilaz comparison is pretty apt for me.

Seems like you guys are selling Since I Left You a bit short. It doesn't need to be "the greatest album of all time", but it is very enjoyable and well executed. Over rated I agree, but that doesn't make it shit!

Guest bitroast

sounds more like 2010 damon albarn self produced gorillaz than 2000 actually pretty well produced gorillaz : S

Perhaps this explains some of what you guys are hearing:

“Robbie had to fly out to master and his flight left at 7:30 in the morning, so we’re in the studio till 6:30 that morning till he literally was like ‘I gotta go man, I gotta get on the plane.’ We were like, ‘I think it sounds good. Fuck it.’”

i dont care about excuses this is the band that fucking piece of shit limp dick white boys from south carolina who "care" about music push on me when I say "yeahh i don't really listen to iron and wine"

i listened once or something and it was fucking pathetic

how you gonna keep em down on the farm after they've heard johnick...

yeah, that kind of thing only really works if you're faith no more imo

I agree with that post as well; around the time of the release I thought frontier psychiatrist was a cute/fun track when I heard it on the radio, but never really pursued them beyond that (and not really liking the since I left you title track). I guess I'm just not really into those plunderphonics/DJ albums if the source material is recognisable

Edited by modey

Took a couple listens to the track, I'd say it's pretty ok. I would have had it mixed a little better, but o well. I'm gonna try to withhold my opinions though until I can listen to the rest of the album.

Seems like you guys are selling Since I Left You a bit short. It doesn't need to be "the greatest album of all time", but it is very enjoyable and well executed. Over rated I agree, but that doesn't make it shit!

For the record I love that album, its a classic and important release imo. It's just one of these go to 'essential indie cred' albums that has a forced legacy to it. Aeroplane Over The Sea and Disentigration Loops are other examples of this. They rehash its greatness over and over again in the form of mems needless lists and articles, etc which is fine, but the problem is:

1. They never reexamine it or expand on different reasons on why its great

2. They dont go in depth in history and context, especially comparing it to music of the same style or era.

I think this is also why so many think this new song is amazing when objectively its not at all. If they had a handle on late 90s / early 00s electronica theyd be yawning. But thats just me complaining, as others here often do, about the pitfalls of wide taste, knowledge and unavoidable pretentiousness. Its like that Simpsons episode where Homer's IQ goes up to 105 and hes baffled at how so many people enjoy romantic comedies.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Since I Left You is good stuff. But they went off their trajectory after 16 years.

I remember some music critic talking about how so many people will only listen to canonized albums like Unknown Pleasures, Endtroducing, Loveless, OK Computer, etc and base their band only on those because they are pushed so hard by music reviewers, and that's why so many bands don't seem as unique as they should. Listen to non-canon albums too and be real, yo.

“Robbie had to fly out to master and his flight left at 7:30 in the morning, so we’re in the studio till 6:30 that morning till he literally was like ‘I gotta go man, I gotta get on the plane.’ We were like, ‘I think it sounds good. Fuck it.’”

easiest way to finnish a track

easiest way to finnish a track

I think they're australian actually

Can't say I loved "Frankie Sinatra" either, but it might work a lot better in the context of the rest of the album; "Since I Left You" is a great album to listen to all the way through. Hopefully the new one is too, but if it isn't I won't be crushed. No point in being negative about it before I can hear all of it.

New track "If I Was a Folkstar" was played on some radio show that found its way on mixcloud (and already got removed), I heard it and it's way more reminiscent of their old stuff. Faith renewed.

Edit:

https://lambda.sx/gw3.mp3

Here it is.

Edited by romanticdude