IGNORED

VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons of Gold

I got it! It arrived a couple days before my birthday but I waited, you know, to surprise myself with it. One thing that did surprise me for real was that my mother just went to the store and bought Move Of Ten completely out of the blue. That was a complete hit as I didn't have it yet. Also Season 1 of The X-Files. Gotta love it when parents still get it right. :nacmat:

Anyways my bike recently broke as I was involved in some stupid accident. It was pretty old anyways and it wasn't worth it to get it fixed, so I also got a new bike and thought to myself, what could be more 80's than riding your brand new bike while listening to your walkman mp3player. So I did that with VHS Head. Unfortunately, like another childhood-flashback, I managed to break something already (part of the front wheel) so I had to stop the trip and get off the bike. :angry:

I just finished listening to the album but I guess it's pretty safe to say that it will take tons of listens until I can really say anything about it. Some instant hits are there after all. The 2nd track and I think the one called Murder Cycles (how fitting) are really hot. Also I'm glad to find all my favorite bits from Mary Anne Hobbes broadcast thingie on it. Awesome!

@mrgypsum - what's the exact story behind this link? Inside the album sleeve it says "Written and produced by Ade Blacow" (and apparently artwork by his brother?), so who exactly is Neil Scrivin?

Guest mrgypsum

link was posted by skam artist on facebook when i was asking about vhs head, he didnt say it was him though but if you listen to the music from the three releases its sound very similar to vhs head material although the neil scrivin releases are obviously not "skam" releases....

some similar sounds there but that's far as i would take it - if it were vhs it's safe to say he has made some tremendous

leaps and bounds with his sound and i greatly prefer his skam related trac's

Edited by troon

I'm hearing a sample from Yellow's "Oh Yeah" (the iconic 80's soundtrack song) in the opening seconds of Trademark Ribbons of Gold. It's that "booowww" sound.

There are literally dozens of other moments on this album that are triggering memories from my VHS watching days. The synth that hits at 2:41 on that same track is, I swear, from a crappy horror movie I've seen. Shit, this album is more nostalgic than any BoC I've listened to, and I only say that since the word "nostalgic" is constantly thrown around when referring to them.

in sunset everett from 1:00 - 1:23 there is a vocal bit that is so familiar that i honestly feel like iv'e

heard it just as it is presented here but in a past recording - not a familiar sample mind you but as though

the whole section of the song has been lifted. my guess is that it has just connected with some part of my

memory that is convincing me of this, a past similarity or a dream. is anyone else experiencing this in any way?

what a fucking jam - seriously - these bits are such a brilliant combination of comfort, nostalgia , familiarity and brute force.

(for quick reference)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGsXeybF-Zo

Edited by troon

in sunset everett from 1:00 - 1:23 there is a vocal bit that is so familiar that i honestly feel like iv'e

heard it just as it is presented here but in a past recording - not a familiar sample mind you but as though

the whole section of the song has been lifted. my guess is that it has just connected with some part of my

memory that is convincing me of this, a past similarity or a dream. is anyone else experiencing this in any way?

what a fucking jam - seriously - these bits are such a brilliant combination of comfort, nostalgia , familiarity and brute force.

It sounds like something out of my childhood. I facepalm internally when saying this, but Eiffel 65 comes to mind. >_<

At the last line of the quote, holy shit that. "The Stuff" just hit me really hard earlier today, it's so good. I'll also sound like a tool when saying this, but are you subscribed to me on YouTube, Troon, or do you just happen to find this stuff on my channel? lol

Also, the synth line at the beginning that recurs throughout is so awesome. especially at around 2:45 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqrSVT4xa_A

Edited by Xyrofen

you post alot of wonderful things to tube xyrofen - not been to yer channel, i just grabbed the one that had yer name attached

we have plans to do projects utilizing tube in future

Edited by troon

you post alot of wonderful things to tube xyrofen - not been to yer channel, i just grabbed the one that had yer name attached

we have plans to do projects utilizing tube in future

Sometimes I swear you're like Smeagol with less maniacal of intentions.

Also, the synth line at the beginning that recurs throughout is so awesome. especially at around 2:45 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqrSVT4xa_A

Yes! And some people will dump the trashcan on me for this, but it totally reminds me of Plaid.

The little melody at 0:24 in Sunset Everett is very Plaid-like too.

Can't really help that much identifying elements since I barely witnessed two years of the 80's and obviously didn't have much in English, but that "Lock your doors, they're coming ... !"-sample is for sure taken from some movie trailer from back then... it's THAT voice. But I have no idea what movie.

Can't really help that much identifying elements since I barely witnessed two years of the 80's and obviously didn't have much in English, but that "Lock your doors, they're coming ... !"-sample is for sure taken from some movie trailer from back then... it's THAT voice. But I have no idea what movie.

So the guy who did all those trailers back then was the same guy who still did all the "This Summer ... "-ads a couple of years ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaBt_bXlXmk

Monkey Dust is such a great show. And Trademark Ribbons of Gold is also very awesome.

Skam, you need to bring your ppl's down South. VHS Head/Ae Live and Gescom DJ sets please. soon as poss like. the South exists, really. thankyou! :)