IGNORED

The Dark Knight Rises

Rubin Farr

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still find it baffling, even how hokey and silly Spiderman 3 was that Raimi got so much shit for ruining Venom but Nolan gets praise for shoe horning Two Face into a potentially great movie. I'd take a Jim Carrey Riddler any day over Aaron Eckharts impotent and 1 dimensional Harvey Dent

i usually don't love Funny or Die but today was an exception

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a68048c801/dark-knight-rises-ending-leaked

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

tomatometer

Average Rating: 8.9/10

Reviews Counted: 31

Fresh: 29 | Rotten: 2

Reading the comments for the "rotten" reviews is depressing. I just realized i don't hate the dark knight i hate the fucking fanboys.

LOL, I had no idea interwebbers could comment on each review on Rotten Toms. Good stuff.

Now I'm going to preface this by saying that this isn't specifically about The Dark Knight Rising (and maybe not even any of the recent Batman trilogy) but with - what I guess you'd call - Hollywood blockbusters in general. I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting old, have become over-saturated by this particular style of cinema, or just have become overtly cynical of late - but when I see these films advertised I'm actually emotionally numb. When I see the American football player running over the collapsing playing field I don't feel exhilarated, I just see that someone's composited a 3d rendering of some earthy-physics animation over the top of a man running towards the camera on blue screen. Instead of the exhilaration of Father Christmas giving presents, I have my parents asking me to order some things and they'll pay me back a bit later.

I think the last time a 'mainstream' (ugh, that's such an elitist way of wording it) film got me excited by its effects in any shape or form was the first Matrix back in '99 when I was 17. Everything from then on has been the slow rounding of corners of the sharp emotion I once felt towards any kind of action adventure film. And it's probably not even specific to cinema either - games too: I see an FPS trailed with uber HD graphics with physics that'd make Hawking cry, and instead of being impressed I shrug at the emotionless shell of a once engrossing genre.

So for me I'm left just with story (If I wanted fancy pants explosions I'll go to a fireworks display), and unfortunately to bring in the crowds you're gonna be left with something that probably doesn't have many more nuances than Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar (though I have to admit the ending of that did originally catch me off guard). The first two films seemed well written enough, were nicely paced and definitely plotted much tighter than the sieve-like Prometheus but are hardly revolutionary in terms of narrative, pop-prose perhaps (If I were a dick enough to coin such a phrase).

Maybe my issue runs even deeper that this, maybe I'm just rebelling against every form popular culture (film, music, games) in some bizarre ploy to appear somehow superior in the tiniest, most pathetic way possible. Who knows, I certainly don't - sometimes just getting stuff off your chest is nicely cathartic even if it gets you nowhere !

So in the shortest possible summary - You get delight from hour after hour of flashy-bangy things, I sit there empty watching a moth repeatedly bumping it's head against a lamp all night. Obviously you've had the more fun, I'm just the party pooper (N.B. the royal 'you' rather than anyone specifically here).

Loveyoubye xx

i feel exactly the same way

100s of movies like this

exactly. this is the problem. movies, hundreds of them, all basicaly the same because they are purely a business enterprise and made to make money, nothing else, so they stick to the formula they think works best for drawing in as many idiots as possible and making a quick buck - ie special effects, special effects and more special effects. if you're extremely lucky they might throw in some semblance of a plot.

You have aged and watched 100s of movies like this and expect them to have the same impact like 10 years ago?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is called growing up.

Unless you like depressing yourself, you can forget about all that and still watch movies with the 17-year old eye. You just have to not take it seriously at all. I think it's more related to an aversion to marketing than an aversion to 3d effects. Your eyes don't know what 3d effects are, your intellect gets itself in a knot because it's obsessed with putting everything under the sun into a neat categorical box, which makes you cynical. You said it yourself, it's a matter of superiority. I had a phase were I looked at everything that way, but it stopped somehow. I cannot possibly bring myself to bother thinking that way anymore. It literally doesn't matter. I just try to have a good time. Life is short.

I think it's time to address the issue of FANS commenting on the REVIEWS by critics.

Because it's really getting to be a problem. People are fucked up... this kind of thinking is truly unacceptable, and in my opinion constitutes a fascist mindset. If you don't like it, you're a hack, should be fired, KILLED (this is said very, very often - with genuine passion, on RT comment sections)... etc.

I would laugh it off but it really bugs me, especially because the movies with fans like that tend to be pretty fucking mediocre, as I expect this to be.

Oh well!

So for me I'm left just with story (If I wanted fancy pants explosions I'll go to a fireworks display), and unfortunately to bring in the crowds you're gonna be left with something that probably doesn't have many more nuances than Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Spot on.

Comment sections on RT are proof that Democracy is overrated.

all roads lead to fascism

joking about fascism in Batman thread

Frank-Miller.jpg

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

You have aged and watched 100s of movies like this and expect them to have the same impact like 10 years ago?

Unless you like depressing yourself, you can forget about all that and still watch movies with the 17-year old eye. I just try to have a good time. Life is short.

Unless you like depressing yourself, you can forget about all that and still watch movies with the 17-year old eye. I just try to have a good time. Life is short.

yeah this.

Its like music first comes pop then techno then autechre then contemporary stuff then noise. so you can spend the rest of your life listening to noise or just lower your expectations while looking at what made you listen to pop in the first place.

i love how everyone calling out the batshit fans has to get in a little passive-aggressive dig at them liking inferior things.

Unless you like depressing yourself, you can forget about all that and still watch movies with the 17-year old eye. You just have to not take it seriously at all. I think it's more related to an aversion to marketing than an aversion to 3d effects. Your eyes don't know what 3d effects are, your intellect gets itself in a knot because it's obsessed with putting everything under the sun into a neat categorical box, which makes you cynical. You said it yourself, it's a matter of superiority. I had a phase were I looked at everything that way, but it stopped somehow. I cannot possibly bring myself to bother thinking that way anymore. It literally doesn't matter. I just try to have a good time. Life is short.

This is wise. I find myself going back and forth between the two mindsets all the time, and I think mixing them keeps me sane. Cynicism is a dangerous thing, I've seen it turn friends into depressing, soulless lumps. At the same time, it drives me crazy how some people blindly accept and never question shit. I try to find a balance.

Archived