IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

Yeah it's not a *massive* deal

But what I've heard from performance psychologists like Bulletproof Musician is that any recent progress starts to unravel if you don't practice regularly and reinforce it

So it's like when coders complain about losing 20 hours of work due to a crash or some dumb mistake or whatever

So, it starts to become a hell spiral, where I don't bother practice two hours today because fuck it I'm probably not gonna practice tomorrow and so today's two hours is gonna just get rolled back and so the whole system falls apart

(And just to be clear, I love playing guitar and I don't see it as a job or burden like it prolly sounds, but there are things I wanna be able to do and so I make goals...so for instance I wanna be able to comfortably improvise counterpoint and polyrhythms and stuff like that so I do treat *that* aspect a bit like some obsessive gym-monkey or a lawyer who hasn't seen his wife and kids in 5 years...)

i can not play the piano for a week sometimes and you lose nothing. once the correct technique is ingrained into your subconscious, it doesnt go anywhere. for me, its the intensity of practice you do, and not the time spent, that increases the speed with which you improve, for example daisy chain practicing a piece is without a shadow of a doubt the quickest way to commit it to memory, but its fucking dull. 

you play/concentrate on 2 bar segments of something for 5 minutes each, until they are either perfect, or the 5 mins runs out. assuming the piece is 120 bars or so, you can get through the piece in about 4-5 hours. if you repeat the process every day for a week, its possible to perfect some pretty fucking hard shit in that time, however, you want to kill yourself and never play again. 

i used this technique to learn this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCkM2a4daZU

in 8 days for an exam, and although i havent played it once in a year, i can still sit down and hit it just fine. 

Edited by messiaen

sometimes a week off is exactly what a technical difficulty problem needs, for me. you come back with a clearer mental palette, and can tackle the problem with a fresh viewpoint. 

But what I've heard from performance psychologists like Bulletproof Musician is that any recent progress starts to unravel if you don't practice regularly and reinforce it

So it's like when coders complain about losing 20 hours of work due to a crash or some dumb mistake or whatever

So, it starts to become a hell spiral, where I don't bother practice two hours today because fuck it I'm probably not gonna practice tomorrow and so today's two hours is gonna just get rolled back and so the whole system falls apart

(And just to be clear, I love playing guitar and I don't see it as a job or burden like it prolly sounds, but there are things I wanna be able to do and so I make goals...so for instance I wanna be able to comfortably improvise counterpoint and polyrhythms and stuff like that so I do treat *that* aspect a bit like some obsessive gym-monkey or a lawyer who hasn't seen his wife and kids in 5 years...)

i can not play the piano for a week sometimes and you lose nothing. once the correct technique is ingrained into your subconscious, it doesnt go anywhere. for me, its the intensity of practice you do, and not the time spent, that increases the speed with which you improve, for example daisy chain practicing a piece is without a shadow of a doubt the quickest way to commit it to memory, but its fucking dull.

you play/concentrate on 2 bar segments of something for 5 minutes each, until they are either perfect, or the 5 mins runs out. assuming the piece is 120 bars or so, you can get through the piece in about 4-5 hours. if you repeat the process every day for a week, its possible to perfect some pretty fucking hard shit in that time, however, you want to kill yourself and never play again.

in 8 days for an exam, and although i havent played it once in a year, i can still sit down and hit it just fine.

I agree...

With the caveat that certain types of 'motor learning' are longer-term (e.g. require weeks or months)

And if you bail on them midway then the progress made gets rolled back due to atrophy

So say you're working on sweep-picking 4-octave arpeggios with even dynamics/articulation/duration and zero string noise

That's gonna take awhile to learn, ingrain, and cement in 'motor memory'

But yeah aside from that asterisk I think you're right

P.S. Cheers for the thoughts and the vid...I'm gonna watch it after I (try to) get some work done

I've been playing guitar for two thirds of my life, but I only ever pick it up to write, rehearse what's written, to perform, or to record.  The exception to that is when I listened to nothing but metal for a year and wanted to be able to do the machine-gun riff thing for extended periods of time.  I got pretty fast, but could never maintain the speed with enough accuracy to be satisfied.  I do wish I had put more practice in when I was learning the instrument... but I guess I always used it as a means to write music before anything else.  Wouldn't really consider myself a guitar player.  I can't shred or do bluesy shit to save my life.  My solos always consist of melodies I'm envisioning in my head -my fingers can never just go off and do their own thing.

I've been playing guitar for two thirds of my life, but I only ever pick it up to write, rehearse what's written, to perform, or to record. The exception to that is when I listened to nothing but metal for a year and wanted to be able to do the machine-gun riff thing for extended periods of time. I got pretty fast, but could never maintain the speed with enough accuracy to be satisfied. I do wish I had put more practice in when I was learning the instrument... but I guess I always used it as a means to write music before anything else. Wouldn't really consider myself a guitar player. I can't shred or do bluesy shit to save my life. My solos always consist of melodies I'm envisioning in my head -my fingers can never just go off and do their own thing.

The solution (IMO) is the Alexander Technique:

The natural inclination is to tense up when playing fast

(This is especially exaggerated among drummers)

And in fact there are certain cases where "clenching" is the 'correct' approach

(Guthrie Govan talks about this with regards to short bursts of 64th-note strumming...and also with the tremolo picking bursts of EVH et all)

But the default mode should be "ultra-relaxed"

And also

In high school my guitar teacher was teaching me to play like Pat Martino, and introduced me to the idea of fingers/wrist/elbow/shoulder as 'gears' (almost like a 10-speed bike, where different gears are used for different situations, and for essentially the same reasons)

And rapid PM style required playing from the elbow

Because playing from the wrist or fingers was like biking in the wrong gear: exhausting and inefficient

So anyway, TL;DR the solution is

a) being ultra-relaxed

b) treating fingers/wrist/elbow/shoulder as 'gears'

I like that idea, gonna try it out. Too bad my sight-reading sucks, but this technique may get around that. That is a beautiful and tricky sounding piece; those glissandoesque bits, damn.

The name this random band name generator came up with for me is too awesome for me to actually use in any of my projects.  But it's almost worth inventing a new one for it: Petite Blue And The Digital Shutup.

I'm guessing the genre would be Post-Vaporwave.

The name this random band name generator came up with for me is too awesome for me to actually use in any of my projects.  But it's almost worth inventing a new one for it: Petite Blue And The Digital Shutup.

I did that once and got the name 'Picasso Sex-Phantom'... May still use that as an alias one day.

^^^ space heaters are energy suckers. that sucks. 

it looks like i'm not going to have to work for the holidays so i'll have to come up with some valid reason for not going all the way cross country to see family for christmas. because you know.. feelings. 

The first Mars Volta full length is so unbelievably good... and then they just turn into a massive wankfest?  I don't know, I'm only just finishing album #3 of my MV revisit.  I recall The Bedlam in Goliath impressing me when I first heard it, which is next in the discog.  But I didn't keep listening to it much after that initial good impression, so we'll see.  I'm not sure If I ever heard the last two albums.  But man, Deloused is so fucking good.  So crazy technical, yet so memorable.  Maybe Rick Rubin has magic powers afterall?

I did that once and got the name 'Picasso Sex-Phantom'... May still use that as an alias one day.

"Rectal Pulp", well I found mine.

My band had the most morale crushing trainwreck at our gig last night.  We were the 2nd of 3 acts in the lineup, everything fine through the first two songs, then we get to the 3rd (a waaay-altered Cure cover that we've probably practiced 300+ times and have been gigging out for the last 2 years) and someone's IN THE WRONG FUCKING KEY.  Our female vocalist and myself (drummer) just look at each other in horror and after 8 or 10 bars I/we call uncle and just stop.  Doesn't help that the neither of our front ppl have the kind of stage presence to laugh it off, joke with the audience, etc. so the awkward silence is palpable.

Then we restart and whoever was in the wrong fucking key is still in the wrong fucking key, only this time there's no stopping, only 3-1/2 minutes of pain and embarrassment. As this point I wanted to kick over the kit, destroy every guitar and bass onstage and walk out into the ocean.  And we still had like 9 songs left.

My band had the most morale crushing trainwreck at our gig last night.  We were the 2nd of 3 acts in the lineup, everything fine through the first two songs, then we get to the 3rd (a waaay-altered Cure cover that we've probably practiced 300+ times and have been gigging out for the last 2 years) and someone's IN THE WRONG FUCKING KEY.  Our female vocalist and myself (drummer) just look at each other in horror and after 8 or 10 bars I/we call uncle and just stop.  Doesn't help that the neither of our front ppl have the kind of stage presence to laugh it off, joke with the audience, etc. so the awkward silence is palpable.

Then we restart and whoever was in the wrong fucking key is still in the wrong fucking key, only this time there's no stopping, only 3-1/2 minutes of pain and embarrassment. As this point I wanted to kick over the kit, destroy every guitar and bass onstage and walk out into the ocean.  And we still had like 9 songs left.

Oh no :(

Did you figure out who it was? Did they get a stern 'talking to' afterward?

Oh no :(

Did you figure out who it was? Did they get a stern 'talking to' afterward?

Just yell the following at your band mates, verbatim:

lol, those are awesome

Wow, you'd think a forced day away from watmm would've allowed the jets to cool, but no!  It was definitely 1 of 2 people (lead guitar or bass) but it really doesn't matter, the former's Aspie's AF, alcoholic and gets enough of the blowdryer from the missus (our female vocalist :emotawesomepm9:*), and the latter is a Jeb Bush-level mess, been laid off for over a year and is ubering like 50 hrs a week to make ends meet.

We've been together for 3 years now, gig locally about once a month, and I really like the entire crew, but man we are flawed individually and collectively.  Essentially the dudes are all talented but undisciplined fucks

*They're also in a destructive relationship that's not going to end well, but hey now!