IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

I currently work for a defense contractor. I'm doing software for a spanish ship, but a different team is working on the ship(s) we're supposed to be selling to the saudis. I live in an area with crazy high unemployment, with loads of people in the naval industry, which depends largely on the deal with the saudis. Now, left leaning and even right leaning parties agree we should just stop selling weapons to the saudis, but at the same time you can't just leave a fuckton of people without a job. The moment the president started making moves to stop the weapons deal, and during my first week in the job, the whole factory went on strike and started burning tires on the roads and shit, which, you know, it's kinda fucked that the biggest protests here are *against* trying to mitigate the biggest human rights crisis in recent memory.

Today during the coffee break we were talking about the journalist that was butchered by the saudis, and how it's gonna affect our work, etc. and one guy went "guess it's time to go burn some tires again" to which other guy replied "it sure draws more attention than burning a yemeni kid", and then everyone just went to work again

It surprised me that nobody in the Trump thread reacted to the Trump interview on Jamal Khashoggi

@span, yeah that's a pretty fucked situation to be in. I wish there were better systems in place for job re-purposing and unemployment mitigation.. and it sucks to have your job pitted against doing what's right on a global scale.

Somewhat tangential, I'm in a situation where my best job leads coming out of university are with defense contractors; not exactly thrilled about it.

@span, yeah that's a pretty fucked situation to be in. I wish there were better systems in place for job re-purposing and unemployment mitigation.. and it sucks to have your job pitted against doing what's right on a global scale.

Somewhat tangential, I'm in a situation where my best job leads coming out of university are with defense contractors; not exactly thrilled about it.

Doing software? I've read horror stories about defense subcontractors (of subcontractors of subcontractors...), like managers urging people to slow down progress because they would lose funding if the project was finished. You might end up in a cool project though, if you don't mind working for the world's worst money sink

Edited by span

Second time traveler's diarrhea on this trip. Either from the Malawian Airlines food or the airport lounge buffet in Lilongwe.. Thankfully not too bad case.

Well, he's got a point. Rather dour in delivery though.

The Spanish unemployment rate is at 15.2%. Why is it so high?

The Spanish are a feckless and lazy people.

I read that as "time traveler's diarrhea"

Imagine if you traveled back to the medieval times and were confronted with the hygiene, food storage and cooking standards back then.. you'd be shitting brown water non-stop. Possibly even catch the plague.

I almost got smacked head on where I and assumed they were going ~60 mph. Two lane road, they decided to try to pass the person in front of them and had absolutely no way of doing so with me there, not sure how the fuck they didn't see me...wasn't like I was at the 'end' of the passing maneuver, I was at the beginning/middle of it. Fucking idiots rushing to work in the morning. Ran a bit off the road but got back on okay, if I hadn't seen them coming (or my reaction time once I realized they were really coming over to my lane) was a little slower or my car wasn't quite as nimble I could've at least skidded off road/crashed. Had only like one close call like that before in the past. Shook me up, been a little wonky all day since.

I can't die yet, I've got lots of music to release that no one will ever listen to otherwise!  :doge:

I read that as "time traveler's diarrhea"

#metoo

You read it correctly.

Aux, glad you're okay.  Scary stuff.  I too almost had a near death experience on the road, when some idiot went speeding through a red light while I was passing through the green.  Had I entered the intersection a split second earlier he would've careened into the driver's side door.  Alternately, a split second later than that I would have collided into his passenger side.  I don't think my reflexes would have been fast enough to avoid either of these scenarios (I think we were both moving at velocities where the collision would have been inevitable, luckily the timing worked in our favour).  The incident left me weirdly unshaken, but I tend to slow down before entering intersections  now... which hopefully won't piss off too many drivers behind me.  Seems like the only way to really avoid something like that happening again in the future.

If it's any consolation, I was almost crushed by a van a few weeks ago. It suddenly decided to park without signaling while I was passing on its right. They didn't use their mirrors. I was riding my bike.

:( 

No consolation here!  I'd be more consoled knowing my fellow watmmers are having nothing but safe road experiences that aren't bringing them inches from death.  I actually think bikes should be ridden on the sidewalk whenever possible.  There might be more accidents overall, but none would ever be fatal.

FWP - forgot to bring a customer's drink to her when I delivered the food order, and she seemed nice.  Her drink is exceptionally good, but if I could go back in time I would give it to her.  The drink I mean.  Anyway, next customer tipped nothing, so karma was on top of it.  But fuck me this is some good juice.  

Drowning in good new tunes. The kind of good tunes I wanna play over and over again, so I'm losing track of all the tunes that don't happen to be on repeat at the moment. Hot damn.

My bandcamp wishlist is bottlenecking hard right now.

Yeah, the app is a nice for both the wishlist (gotta prioritize somehow), and the collection, when streaming is more practical than playing audio files.

I love the app. It even buffers the next few tracks (if it can), so it will keep playing even if you go underground on the train.

You guys ever deal with this weird dog bark deterrent device that emits a high pitch frequency to get dogs to stop barking? Came home one day and heard that sound everywhere outside and in my apartment. Turns out my neighbor is having issues with a dog in the general area so he blasts that sound. 

Told him to turn it off because everyone can hear it and now its becoming an issue. Could literally feel my hearing dip from being exposed to high frequencies too long. 

Any of you guys hear this, I know younger people can hear it a lot better than older people but i find it strange they would release something on the market that also fucks with people.

wtf that's crazy.   i think i'd get recordings of dogs barking and just play them really loud.

"wow you hear those dogs barking.. man i think your high freq device is doing the opposite of what it's supposed to.."