IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

I can't really think of many ways to objectively rate music except by popularity, so in some senses Skrillex is way better than anyone we listen to. I mean, the music is made to be enjoyed, and since people are enjoying it it serves its purpose. I don't think it's "ruining" anyone's tastes. It's not really a moral issue; tastes can't really be "ruined", they can only change or stagnate.

is there not some sort of intelligence quotient factor involved?

for example a measurement of intelligence and how it intersects with certain preferences, thus resolving the interval amount of people whom their intelligence falls under a certain rating to prefer certain types of music?

IE, x amount of people are less than y intelligence quotient, and z amount of x people prefer skrillex?

Inherently, it can be proven that only stupid people like skrillex and therefore it is not good music, no?

I can prove this using chi-square distributions and other statistical analysis methods. haha

I mean, you could. But I feel subjectively that that's not a very good subjective method for objectively rating music.

All ridiculous statements aside, I do know several smart people who love Skrillex. The salutatorian in my high school class loves Disney stars and High School Musical. Also he's a guy.

Its not about being smart its about how much music you research and how much you know.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AFX and Autechre are such starter experimental electronic music.

I require far more intelligence and depth.

What did you figure out from listening to him? Anything? Anything positive?

Hah. Well, first of all as a technique his use of contrast is of course very intriguing. Even if I don't like how he executes it. Like, what kinds of contrasts he is choosing and what kinds of sounds he's using and what kind of clichés. His success seems to be based on this contrast between cheesy melodies and the evil dubstep cliché. And, without the contrast, it would be completely unbearable. If it would be only the evil dubstep cliché sounds you would immediately want to turn it off after ten minutes. If it would be only the cheesy melodies and vocals, then it would be unbearable. The combination is what makes it interesting to me.

Isn't this basically what Aphex Twin did for most of his career with really abrasive beats and goofy/corny melodies?

Hah. Well, first of all as a technique his use of contrast is of course very intriguing. Even if I don't like how he executes it. Like, what kinds of contrasts he is choosing and what kinds of sounds he's using and what kind of clichés. His success seems to be based on this contrast between cheesy melodies and the evil dubstep cliché. And, without the contrast, it would be completely unbearable. If it would be only the evil dubstep cliché sounds you would immediately want to turn it off after ten minutes. If it would be only the cheesy melodies and vocals, then it would be unbearable. The combination is what makes it interesting to me.

Isn't this basically what Aphex Twin did for most of his career with really abrasive beats and goofy/corny melodies?

Hmm, good question. Well for one, the aesthetics are completely different. Analogue drums and synths versus the very clean digital stuff Skrillex produces. Also, Skrillex goes back and forth, whereas when you hear a track like "On" there's a very pretty piano melody with distorted beats that complements it very well. It's as if he was fusing hardcore techno with new age ambient, and this was in 1993. I could listen to both for 10 minutes by themselves. I'd rather listen to Aphex than either genre for 10 minutes.

In terms of composition, it's not a stretch. It explains the "inspiration" Aphex has on Skrillex, besides the ex at the ends of the names. But in regards to the actual production techniques, historical context, and musical structure RDJ > Sonny Moore.

Many of those, especially teens, could easily get into Aphex, or Burial, or really niche genres like minimal techno or drone, etc. I got into electronic via Chemical Brothers and far worse EDM than that. I know in retrospect I was seeking new sounds and diverse music at the time.

I still like The Chemical Brothers. I'm pretty much the same way, though; my dad had some stuff by The Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, The Crystal Method and a few other EDM guys, and I listened to those first. It was always my favorite music back then. The moment of change for me was when I discovered the "Experimental Electronica" iTunes essential (sadly gone now) in like, 7th or 8th grade and was like what the fuck is this it is awesome. I started mainly with Amon Tobin, and moved on from there. I've always been a sucker for electronica.

If someone likes 70s classic rock, they declare "this was when music was good" in the comments of a Led Zeppelin video. Or "Real hip-hop!" at the bottom of a Tribe Called Quest vid. "Better than Justin Beiber" at the bottom of some other shitty pop song. And dozens, if not hundreds or people feel gratified by "liking" those comments. It's lazy self-satisfaction.

I have to admit to doing this (like,

). I think it's fun. I love talking about how certain people are talentless hacks, but at the end of the day, music is entirely subjective.

On an unrelated note, Andre 3000's mouth is fucking huge.

Yeah it is fun. Top youtube comments can be gold. And I chuckled at your comment (38 likes btw!) and think it's true. You're right, it's all subjective. And to a point, there's something annoying about "shut up and enjoy the music" comments as well. Sometimes crap music needs to be called out.

And I love the Chemical Brothers, I was glee to see a thread about them recently, I was thinking of starting one before that.

I also think heated discussions about music is fun. I feel like everyone needs to come to an agreement in any music argument that things are actually subjective, but after that I like to be as opinionated as possible.

btw, up to 71 likes now. lol.

That is essentially true but Aphex's output is much broader, more varied and more musically complex in retrospect. It is still way too early to tell what kind of twists and turns Skrillex will take throughout his musical career; if any.

It is still way too early to tell what kind of twists and turns Skrillex his producers will take throughout his musical career; if any.

I'm pretty sure he fizzles out like the rest of the trendy music IE trance, hardhouse etc, ends up a 350lb meth addict, gets married to snookie, gets a divorce from her and then theres a reality show about it or something along those lines.

those are my predictions. Although a 350lb meth addict is indeed a rarity.

It is still way too early to tell what kind of twists and turns Skrillex his producers will take throughout his musical career; if any.

I'm pretty sure he fizzles out like the rest of the trendy music IE trance, hardhouse etc, ends up a 350lb meth addict, gets married to snookie, gets a divorce from her and then theres a reality show about it or something along those lines.

?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9dSYgd5Elk

?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9dSYgd5Elk

heheheheh

yeah.

I cana aldready imagine the collabs

And you can't tell everybody....Ts ts ts ts ts this is Y-O-U-R- BRRRUUUUMMAAAAZZZZZZZZZZSOOOOUUNNGGGG BZZZT BZZT WUB WUB WUBWUB WUB WUB

Judging by how skrillex makes people who are not very tall look like giants and the fact that he has worn incredibly tight girl pants through most of his musical career suggest to me that he must have a tiny pecker... Poor Ellie... Not to be a dick (PUN) but logically if you think of his size you can see why he's spent so much of his musical career screaming about being a depressed loner and fell right into place with modern-day midwest america's version of a rave.

also... who the fuck is ellie goulding?

Judging by how skrillex makes people who are not very tall look like giants and the fact that he has worn incredibly tight girl pants through most of his musical career suggest to me that he must have a tiny pecker... Poor Ellie... Not to be a dick (PUN) but logically if you think of his size you can see why he's spent so much of his musical career screaming about being a depressed loner and fell right into place with modern-day midwest america's version of a rave.

also... who the fuck is ellie goulding?

I had no fucking clue but all the brostep and derp-derp EDM trolls on turntable.fm play her tracks on occasion, between the deadmau5e5 and skrilly-skrill and sux pavilion tunez.

*prints topic*

*binds in expensive leather cover*

someone needs to do this and make the bottom right corner of the book a skrillex being attacked by a bee flipbook

Archived