IGNORED

Comic Books / Graphic Novels thread

Rubin Farr

Guest bitroast

The first issue Loose Ends isn't collected in that collective, but is included in the recent collections(the black background with green swamp thing and text cover). Tbh, loose ends is fairly skipable. But yes. Swamp thing is amazing:)

Am considering picking up the post-Moore stuff as well.

Currently not reading anything (waiting for my cerebus 3 order to arrive)

The Akira manga is a masterpiece. Katsuhiro Otomo is responsible for both creating the manga and directing the film. As great as the movie was, it's more of a teaser trailer to the manga, which goes into much more depth.

Didn't know that The Hive came out. X'ed out was imo really good though short. Black Hole is one of the strangest / best comic books I read. I also read some of his earlier short stories, which where quite cool.

I got the first couple of paperback collections of THE WALKING DEAD in the post recently, finally tucked into it on the train to work this morning. Really into it so far - I loved the Telltale games but couldn't really get into the TV show. Hopefully it'll be more like the former.

• 2 months later...

So I ended up getting this deluxe edition after hearing positive reviews of Criminal as a great crime-noir graphic novel series. I just finished it and holy shit, the reviews were right this is a great series, glad I bought the deluxe edition... Ed Brubaker is a fantastic writer and Sean Phillip's artwork is just the icing on the cake. Very dark and unforgiving. (If you liked Sin City you'll love these, they're a bit more realistic as well) I ended up scooping up Vol. 2 and the collected edition of Ed & Sean's other series Incognito, very much looking forward to reading them when they arrive.

Also picked up a few Vertigo Crime titles (The Executor, The Chill, and Filthy Rich,) they're kinda hit/miss sometimes, but overall fun reads. Some of the other titles in the Vertigo Crime label are supposed to be better so I may end up looking into those eventually, they're fairly cheap used on Amazon.

Guest EleminoP
my friend bought me the SCUD anthology for christmas. haven't read it yet though.

You're in for a treat. Scud changed my life. I've read through it 3 or 5 times. Always cry at the end.

my friend bought me the SCUD anthology for christmas. haven't read it yet though.

You're in for a treat. Scud changed my life. I've read through it 3 or 5 times. Always cry at the end.

dope.

kinda catching up on 2000AD since watching Dredd

highly recommend the ABC Warriors Volgan War series with Clint Langley's awesome artwork if you haven't already

preview_abcwarriorsvoganwarsII_big01.jpg

funny, i went back and started reading some old 2000 ad stuff since watching dredd. just finished this:

126.jpg

gonna start in on this next:

ballad_of_halo_jones.jpg

though i distinctly remember it being among the worst things moore has written

Last week, I got the last issue of The Infinite Vacation:

IMG110319.jpg

It took about two years for five issues to be completed, but it's totally worth it. The art is great. The story is pretty strange, and I think they tried to rush the ending a bit, but that's forgivable.

dope.

It really is the best comic I've ever read. Just pure creativity. There's really nothing else like it.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

finally bought chris ware's building stories and was pretty disappointed with it. firstly it comes in a big puzzle size box. where am i going to store that? secondly instead of taking the effort to shape it into a book it comes in 13 or so different size sections, some small and one page, some huge and 4 pages, some inbetween. now it could have succeeded and been a brilliant idea, but for some reason it comes across as lazy to me. huge fan so maybe expectation got the better of me.

• 1 month later...

I finished vol. 2 of Ed Brubaker's Criminal, and moved onto Incognito... Criminal is one of the best series' I've read and I might even go so far as to say it even trumps Sin City as far as the crime-noir thing goes.

51aHZOekdqL._SS500_.jpgh41InpedWokL._SS500_.jpg

Incognito was also a great read, a darker take on Superheroes in a more realistic world than most superhero series' set when the era of Superheroes is kinda over. Ed Brubaker's just a damn good writer and Sean Phillip's style compliments him perfectly. I'll probably end up looking into the Fatale series they did together as well. Also Being a big Batman fan I want to read Brubaker's work with Gotham Central as well, which is supposed to be good....

Currently I'm reading the First Compendium of The Walking Dead, I've only seen the first season of the show and need to catch up, I probably will make an effort to catch up after reading the books, though I do know there are differences between the show and comics. I'm not too far in yet but enjoying it a lot, at this point it's pretty in-line with the show but it was a while since I watched the first season even so it's nice to refresh my mind with the original medium,

dc6b_walking_dead_trade.jpg

Edited by ghOsty

finally bought chris ware's building stories and was pretty disappointed with it. firstly it comes in a big puzzle size box. where am i going to store that? secondly instead of taking the effort to shape it into a book it comes in 13 or so different size sections, some small and one page, some huge and 4 pages, some inbetween. now it could have succeeded and been a brilliant idea, but for some reason it comes across as lazy to me. huge fan so maybe expectation got the better of me.

What did you read from him ? I only know Jimmy Corrigan which I found awesome. If you any other recommandation my ears are all open