IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Watching Spaced. Don't know why I never got into this but it's great. It looks quite dated for some reason but I'm loving it.

Hello Brian...

tumblr_mfmloo2ikc1qkpb28o1_1280.jpg

Well it is full of pop culture references that are almost 15 years old.

Loved that show.

Managed to watch 8 hours of the classic ITV crime thriller CRACKER since Saturday. Robbie Coltrane's best role? Almost certainly. I love that man so much too.

COLTRANE

218-Robbie-Coltrane.jpg

Watching Spaced. Don't know why I never got into this but it's great. It looks quite dated for some reason but I'm loving it.

Hello Brian...

Well it is full of pop culture references that are almost 15 years old.

Loved that show.

Ditto - one of my favorite tv series ever. They killed off any effort to make an American copy which is amazing.

Spaced always seemed like such a WATMM-esque show imo.

*spoilers ahead warning*

so for the Fringe fans out there, did you like the way the show wrapped up? I never really had an overt problem with the whole Observers subplot elements, but when they turned the entire 5th season into a story centering around them being some sort of fascist dictatorship i couldn't take it seriously. Not only did they do that but they heavily borrowed from the Matrix films by making them seem agent Smith like, with their bullet time speed and casual expert martial arts hyper speed fighting style. I thought they did a decent job with the story in 5, i just found it sort of shocking that they built up such a good cohesive (considering how convoluted the concepts are) universe(s) by the end of Season 3. Now the show starts off in Season 4 where Peter is erased from the timeline, and we have Walt (the most interesting character) reverting to his introverted neurotic state that he was in way back in Season 1 and a more anal and emotionless Olivia. I understand that they wanted to make an interesting story gimmick out of it, but why the fuck didn't they just reset the timeline back to normal like 3-4 episodes into season 4? Instead we get some bullshit about Olivia taking crotexiphan so now she remembers the alternate timeline along with Peter but no one else does?

I find it incredibly frustrating how much potential there was for the show at the end of Season 3, just to see it collapse under it's own weight during 4 and 5. 4 was still very watchable, and i got invested in it but still frustrating...

There were points during the last 2 seasons i actually had faith the writers were going to do some extremely clever wrap up involving some kind of time-loop paradox ie: something they do in the future ties into some of the very first episodes of the show. Something *like* that. Instead we get a tie-in to a flashback scene that we only see at the beginning of Season 5 where Olivia and Peter's daughter is already like 5-6 years old? Skip forward 6 years, no explanation and only 13 episodes to go for the finale? They dug themselves a big hole and kept digging deeper, but all in all it ended much stronger than Lost or the X-files did.

I thought it was neat how they wrapped it up, not flawless by any means but it does *almost* feel like that's where they were heading at from the start (but obviously not the case) and I thought it was bold to change things so much in s5, besides, the format was getting stale. I think it gives it a good enough closure. imo what they did was avoid going the LOST/Xfile route. Felt the same way as you at the start but they kinda pulled it off.

*spoilers ahead warning*

so for the Fringe fans out there, did you like the way the show wrapped up? I never really had an overt problem with the whole Observers subplot elements, but when they turned the entire 5th season into a story centering around them being some sort of fascist dictatorship i couldn't take it seriously. Not only did they do that but they heavily borrowed from the Matrix films by making them seem agent Smith like, with their bullet time speed and casual expert martial arts hyper speed fighting style. I thought they did a decent job with the story in 5, i just found it sort of shocking that they built up such a good cohesive (considering how convoluted the concepts are) universe(s) by the end of Season 3. Now the show starts off in Season 4 where Peter is erased from the timeline, and we have Walt (the most interesting character) reverting to his introverted neurotic state that he was in way back in Season 1 and a more anal and emotionless Olivia. I understand that they wanted to make an interesting story gimmick out of it, but why the fuck didn't they just reset the timeline back to normal like 3-4 episodes into season 4? Instead we get some bullshit about Olivia taking crotexiphan so now she remembers the alternate timeline along with Peter but no one else does?

I find it incredibly frustrating how much potential there was for the show at the end of Season 3, just to see it collapse under it's own weight during 4 and 5. 4 was still very watchable, and i got invested in it but still frustrating...

There were points during the last 2 seasons i actually had faith the writers were going to do some extremely clever wrap up involving some kind of time-loop paradox ie: something they do in the future ties into some of the very first episodes of the show. Something *like* that. Instead we get a tie-in to a flashback scene that we only see at the beginning of Season 5 where Olivia and Peter's daughter is already like 5-6 years old? Skip forward 6 years, no explanation and only 13 episodes to go for the finale? They dug themselves a big hole and kept digging deeper, but all in all it ended much stronger than Lost or the X-files did.

I basically agree with your criticism of the last two seasons, but the fact that it actually "ended much stronger than Lost or the X-files did" means it exceeded my expectations. Pretty watchable show throughout. It could have been much more, but I'll take watchable over a train wreck. SF on TV, even SF of the very soft and fantastical variety, is in a pretty sorry state of affairs.

On FRINGE, I agreed it lost a lot of steam after the reset of S4 and the final season didn't really get me excited. I think most of the problems in the last couple of seasons was due to the showrunners not knowing if they'd get cancelled or not. They were lucky to even get a half season to try to wrap things up.

i had very high hopes for the finale of the series for some reason, most people online seemed to thing it went out very elegantly. I guess I thought the concept of alternate universes could have been expanded much more. Part of me was excited for them to discover a 3rd, and 4th alternate universe maybe culminating in the the discovery that infinite alternate universes exist. Sort of like a much more intelligent Sliders or something. During Season 4 especially i was having a very difficult time sitting through the monster of the week episodes, the whole time i was thinking that they were meandering and waiting for the season 5 finale to 'reset' things back, instead we got an evil alternate timeline William Bell and a ridiculous Wolverine style Olivia hyper-speed post head shot heal. I thought it was probably the weakest of any of the other season finales. While i did really enjoy the parts where the alternate universe was working with the one we follow, i felt that it didn't have the same impact it could have simply because of the BS alternate timeline aspect. Like so what if there is tension between alternate Olivia and real Olivia because in *this* timeline she also was a mole, we don't *know* the characters from this timeline, so the drama is more muted than it should have been

Edited by Awepittance

Guest RadarJammer

anyone enjoying Engrenages s4? I've been saving the episodes up for a marathon.

Archer, Newsroom, Enlightened & The Walking Dead. I am thoroughly entertained.

Anybody here seen Sleeper Cell?

I remember enjoying Sleeper Cell but I think its pretty forgettable.

Finished Spaced. Nowhere near enough episodes for me. I guess I'll give Dexter S7 another go. The whole end of S6/beginning of S7 really put me off. Someone tell me it gets good again...

Edited by spratters

Guest Ron Manager

it wasn't a bad ending, it won't put you off the show -- I dunno. it just needed... something more. (or less?) :wacko:

Having now completed season 1, I definitely get what you mean.

it's one of those shows where you know going into the finale that he (sadly) isn't going to blow up the Veep and half the cabinet - it was always going to be a little underwhelming. I'll watch season 2 to see where it goes, but I expected a little more the way people have hyped this show to me.

Guest RadarJammer

it wasn't a bad ending, it won't put you off the show -- I dunno. it just needed... something more. (or less?) :wacko:

Having now completed season 1, I definitely get what you mean.

it's one of those shows where you know going into the finale that he (sadly) isn't going to blow up the Veep and half the cabinet - it was always going to be a little underwhelming. I'll watch season 2 to see where it goes, but I expected a little more the way people have hyped this show to me.

knowing that Damien Lewis signed a contract for 5 more seasons dissolves most of the tension of this show for me

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ron Manager

just finished season 2 of Homeland. not sure where general opinion is on it, but i actually thought it was much better than 1. it was way less predictable, there were loads of twists i didn't see coming, i generally found it much more gripping. the finale was excellent in my opinion. thought 1 was pretty good, but 2 really was quality.

Guest zaphod

i have been forced to sit through nearly two seasons of hbo's girls. there are no redeeming qualities and i want to kill myself.

Guest Al Hounos

i have been forced to sit through nearly two seasons of hbo's girls. there are no redeeming qualities and i want to kill myself.

it makes me want to kill my entire self-absorbed, spoiled, apathetic generation

i dunno it's a kinda you had to be there thing i think.

it's far and away the most accurately written show i've ever seen. ever. my life is so close to that show it makes me want to kill myself.

Guest isaki

just finished season 2 of Homeland. not sure where general opinion is on it, but i actually thought it was much better than 1. it was way less predictable, there were loads of twists i didn't see coming, i generally found it much more gripping. the finale was excellent in my opinion. thought 1 was pretty good, but 2 really was quality.

agreed, very tense. watched season 2 in one day because I just needed to know what happened next. lol