IGNORED

Squarepusher - Ufabulum

Redruth

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHEN I LISTEN TO IT THE FIRST TIME WHEN I HAVE IT IN MY HANDS PHYSICALLY.

Please post a picture of your record player.

I OBVIOUSLY MEANT THAT I HAVE REMOVED THE AUDIO CONTAINING PART OF THE PHYSICAL OBJECT AND PLACED IT ON A RECORD PLAYING MACHINE WHILE I HAVE THE CONTAINER PART OF THE PHYSICAL OBJECT IN MY HANDS WHILE THE SOUNDWAVES FROM MY SPEAKERS ARE HITTING MY HEARDRUMS.

STOP YELLING AT ME! : (

I don't get the hate for Unreal Square, it sounds like the baby of The Exploding Psychology and DYKS? (but admittedly isn't as good as those two)

Guest cult fiction

A friend gave some good advice - listen to it with headphones. Hugely better. Pretty strange for a record that was supposedly written to be played out?

Guest CraniumXII

I don't get the hate for Unreal Square, it sounds like the baby of The Exploding Psychology and DYKS? (but admittedly isn't as good as those two)

Nope.

Careful, Sir... Now you are on the CIA's watch list :wink:

I think if someone like Lone or Machinedrum (not necessarily them) made an album of this caliber, people would be really praising it. Squarepusher just makes this kind of thing look easy. It's got the mark of a real pro with lots of ideas.

what this album so clearly shows is that technical skill doesn't lead to making a good and inspired album. it's funny really that the biggest praises this album gets is how tom is "in total control" of his stuff and how's he is such a pro and stuff.

Haters in this thread are 100% wrong. at least 95% wrong. this album is fucking awesome, pure Squarepusher. it's a more colorful and "2012" style Squarepusher but this is still the same dude who made Go Plastic.

Seriously what the fuck is up with these haters? I'm not going to sit here and tell you "Oh my God this is the best most innovative electronic album ever made!" But these are the same retards who still can't accept that Just a Souvenir was and is a highly original piece of music.

OK, as for the SKRILLEX comparisons, I'm going to voice my opinion because obviously this is central to what people are saying in here, despite what you might say about the drums, melodies, etc. This album SOUNDS like pop radio. It sounds like a fat, overproduced pile of SKRILLEX, on the surface. I don't agree with people saying that comparisons to SKRILLEX are laughable, I also don't agree with people disparaging the music due to those comparisons. If you have an open mind you can see that these comparisons are neither totally inaccurate or inaccurate, and then you can see that this is good music. I'm not going to sit here and try to convince you that this is "cool" or "uncool." I think it would be brilliant of Squarepusher broke through into the mainstream.

He's not going to though, not in any big way. I think he's just paying respect to the mainstream with the sound, or subconsciously integrating it in some way. It doesn't really matter what the motives are, I know what I'm hearing, and it sounds like catchy melodies and Lady Gaga taken far into the future.

And that's not even getting to the root of what the album is, I'm just trying to frame those references and the general feeling people are getting into the right area.

Guest CraniumXII

what this album so clearly shows is that technical skill doesn't lead to making a good and inspired album. it's funny really that the biggest praises this album gets is how tom is "in total control" of his stuff and how's he is such a pro and stuff.

Sounds like you're just jelly :emotawesomepm9:

Seriously though... His trademark fusion styles are still bleeding through, and for someone who seems to like MIRON, I can't believe you are so critical of the guy. I can hear the similarities between albums in just about everything. Sorry if you can't... but you are way off the mark with your assessment.

Edit: It's also not your right to say whether it was inspired or not... Only he can know or sure. That is subjective speculation, and I think you should start adding a "IMO" disclaimer to your comments.

It's not Squarepusher forging ahead into uncharted territory, but it's nothing to get all butthurt about either. There's a lot to like. I'm wondering what a cheese-free SP album would sound like in this stage in his career, but this one has plenty of ass kicking moments.

Unreal Square is so conflicting with the melodies, but I appreciate the progression there now to an extent because it spins this very mainstream pop cheese into something beautiful. It removes some of the seriousness of the tracks and makes it overall more modest I think. Theres something going on in general with the progression of this album, theres a definite sense of change. The first half and second half being stark contrasts. Feels kind of like a gradual progression covering the whole spectrum of emotions like a color wheel.

Guest iep

SP lost me with his latest stuff, but that John Carpenter style track stood out on this album. "Red In Blue".

cos it had shitty sounding synths/production and lacked all the balls of the music that it is trying to emulate.

I don't love this album but fo some reason I'm always listening to it. I must have listened more than 10 times aldready.

Enstrobia leaked, not sure if this has been mentioned

track 1: rave, awesome

track 2: shobaleader outtake-ish, funky

track 3: that abstract Tom-sitting-at-a-laptop-making-whale-noises track from that web video. good

very worth owning, imo

FYI

Archived