IGNORED

Did Warp really use mp3s for some tracks on 26 Mixes?

Guest spprw

Guest spprw

I read that somewhere - maybe here, I don't know. (I'm new here (hi))

If that is in fact true, which songs from this commercially-released album were sourced from mp3s?

That sounds incredibly lazy and I find it very hard to believe. Was that just a rumor?

The Heroes Remix was definitely sourced from mp3 as Warp (and Richard apparently) could no longer locate the DAT; looking at the 26 Mixes copy through a spectrogram reveals this.

Heroes is only available in it's full quality on a really obscure Japanese 3" CD release I think.

There is also a nasty digital artifact on Heroes that further validates the claim of it being sourced from an mp3 of poor quality, and further denigrates Warp for it's lack of care with the release.

Guest spprw

so that's definitely the only one then? or is that the only one people are absolutely certain of?

Guest ruiagnelo

if there are more than 3 tracks, do you promise to throw your copy right in the garbage?

Guest Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

Certain that Your Head My Voice (Voix Revirement) on 26 Mixes For Cash is sourced from an mp3 (or whoever was responsible for the editing saved it as an mp3 file), and not a great bit rate mp3 either. If you were to do an ABX test on both the edit and the original remix sourced from the single, you'd spot it right away.

Edited by Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

Guest spprw

that's not the point. they're charging people for mp3s they probably got from slsk. it just seems incredibly low rent and lazy. I have a very hard time believing a label like that couldn't get access to the masters needed to make it a properly prepared release.

Guest ruiagnelo

The Heroes Remix was definitely sourced from mp3 as Warp (and Richard apparently) could no longer locate the DAT; looking at the 26 Mixes copy through a spectrogram reveals this.

Heroes is only available in it's full quality on a really obscure Japanese 3" CD release I think.

wouldn't it be logical to get the track from the same source as that japanese release, if it had higher quality?

wouldn't it be logical to get the track from the same source as that japanese release, if it had higher quality?

It would make sense, but Warp didn't bother sourcing it out from what I can tell. I recall hearing a story around here about Warp contacting Joyrex to see if he had that access to some of the source material for these mixes because they couldn't acquire them; I'll let him clear that info up if it's incorrect.

that's not the point. they're charging people for mp3s they probably got from slsk. it just seems incredibly low rent and lazy. I have a very hard time believing a label like that couldn't get access to the masters needed to make it a properly prepared release.

you find it hard to believe?!

lol

stranger things have happened.

it's true.

Guest spprw

^ I have to plead ignorance here. I'd never assume they'd cut corners like that on one of their flagship artists' releases

Every new story like this I hear about warp, the more I hate them.

What has happened to warp...?

Oh right, shit like battles, grizzly bears, etc etc etc.

:cry:

woah woah, you best not be dissin' Battles. They're IDM as fuck!

.. then again, I did have to strongly convince people here that Pivot/PVT were worth checking out, too many people dismiss them because they have a live drummer and guitarist. Which I find bizarre because I've had to convince some real life friends that they were good even though one of the members uses a laptop onstage :rolleyes:

Edited by modey

.. then again, I did have to strongly convince people here that Pivot/PVT were worth checking out, too many people dismiss them because they have a live drummer and guitarist.

I can see the appeal to battles but it's just not my thing I guess. What I meant is more so that the wave of artists similar to battles kind of signaled an end of a different warp era....

Now there are a ton of artists similar to battles and it's kind of taken the scene over.

I pine for the days of aphex, squarepusher, LFO, plaid... the black dog......

It's just a different dimension of Warp I suppose.

Tbh I don't know wtf I mean. :emb:

Edited by StephenG

:facepalm:

yeah it came with heroes the symphony or iirc

edit: yeah http://www.discogs.com/Philip-Glass-Heroes-Remix/release/545945

Edited by dr lopez

:facepalm: