IGNORED

Did Warp really use mp3s for some tracks on 26 Mixes?

Guest spprw

IDM fans: more closed minded than dude rock meatheads

I actually have a pretty extensive catalogue of other music, but for some reason acts like Battles never really clicked for me. Maybe it will grow on me.

Since you endorse it, I will definitely keep my mind open to it and give it another shot.

Yeah, seriously, a band who manipulate pretty much all of their live instruments digitally (except maybe the drums), live on stage, not to mention Ian Williams being a total badass guitarist/double keyboard player, certainly calls for some IDM points. I mean shit, look at the angle on those keyboards, haha:

1311624327-battles-2-____keith-johnson.jpg

Edited by modey

Yeah, seriously, a band who manipulate pretty much all of their live instruments digitally (except maybe the drums), live on stage, not to mention Ian Williams being a total badass guitarist/double keyboard player, certainly calls for some IDM points.

1311624327-battles-2-____keith-johnson.jpg

Plus he has that awesome Yosemite Sam pedo-stache. ;)

Jk, going to check it further based on your recommendations.

I'd suggest the latest album or EB C/B EP.

While you're at it I'd highly recommend the latest PVT album. Very kraut-rocky.

The Heroes Remix was definitely sourced from mp3 as Warp (and Richard apparently) could no longer locate the DAT; looking at the 26 Mixes copy through a spectrogram reveals this.

Heroes is only available in it's full quality on a really obscure Japanese 3" CD release I think.

Edited by Joyrex
Illegal Copyright link removed

The Heroes Remix was definitely sourced from mp3 as Warp (and Richard apparently) could no longer locate the DAT; looking at the 26 Mixes copy through a spectrogram reveals this.

Heroes is only available in it's full quality on a really obscure Japanese 3" CD release I think.

(removed)

That link goes nowhere, which is lucky for you as otherwise you'd be sharing copyrighted material you naughty scamp.

Here's the full story (since I was somewhat involved in it/aware of it at the time): Another label (don't know which one) was getting ready to release a compilation of Richard's remixes (since the majority of them were for labels other than WARP/Rephlex), and when WARP got wind of it, they did a mad scramble to get the rights/masters for all his remixes.

I don't think Richard himself was involved in this (beyond his contributing the SAW II and Windowlicker remixes, and those might have been unreleased material WARP had versus making a specific request to Richard - but that's speculation on my part), and that might be why they couldn't get masters from him (that, or Richard didn't have masters for some of his remixes he did, since he may have sent off the master to the label in question when he did the remix).

WARP contacted me inquiring if I had any of the remixes on CD (specifically the Gavin Bryars remix and the Heroes remix), as the masters were unavailable or wouldn't be available in time to meet the deadline (this may also explain the minimalist artwork, not to mention the very tongue in cheek double meaning of the album title).

Oddly enough they had time to press a promotional chocolate coin, though.

I unfortunately at the time didn't have either of those releases (wasn't really concentrating on collecting the remixes at the time), so I imagine they ended up indeed using MP3 audio of the tracks in order to get them on the compilation.

I couldn't ask the community on WATMM at the time as I was told to keep things quiet since they were obviously trying to beat the other label to the punch. Was I able to do so, I'm certain one of us on here would have had either or both on CD so we could have gotten at least Redbook Audio versions of the tracks.

Both the Gavin Bryars and Phillip Glass Heroes remixes are strangely both on Point Music releases in Japan (Gavin Bryars remix did come out in the US; the Phillip Glass remix was on a bonus 3" CD for the Japanese release of Heroes Symphony) - I wonder if there were issues in getting clearance to use these (especially the Phillip Glass remix) from Point Music?

• Like 2

Here's the full story (since I was somewhat involved in it/aware of it at the time): Another label (don't know which one) was getting ready to release a compilation of Richard's remixes (since the majority of them were for labels other than WARP/Rephlex), and when WARP got wind of it, they did a mad scramble to get the rights/masters for all his remixes.

I don't think Richard himself was involved in this (beyond his contributing the SAW II and Windowlicker remixes, and those might have been unreleased material WARP had versus making a specific request to Richard - but that's speculation on my part), and that might be why they couldn't get masters from him (that, or Richard didn't have masters for some of his remixes he did, since he may have sent off the master to the label in question when he did the remix).

WARP contacted me inquiring if I had any of the remixes on CD (specifically the Gavin Bryars remix and the Heroes remix), as the masters were unavailable or wouldn't be available in time to meet the deadline (this may also explain the minimalist artwork, not to mention the very tongue in cheek double meaning of the album title).

Oddly enough they had time to press a promotional chocolate coin, though.

I unfortunately at the time didn't have either of those releases (wasn't really concentrating on collecting the remixes at the time), so I imagine they ended up indeed using MP3 audio of the tracks in order to get them on the compilation.

I couldn't ask the community on WATMM at the time as I was told to keep things quiet since they were obviously trying to beat the other label to the punch. Was I able to do so, I'm certain one of us on here would have had either or both on CD so we could have gotten at least Redbook Audio versions of the tracks.

Both the Gavin Bryars and Phillip Glass Heroes remixes are strangely both on Point Music releases in Japan (Gavin Bryars remix did come out in the US; the Phillip Glass remix was on a bonus 3" CD for the Japanese release of Heroes Symphony) - I wonder if there were issues in getting clearance to use these (especially the Phillip Glass remix) from Point Music?

Well, this is a interesting story and a nice insight in Warps behaviour regarding this release.

By the way: The Boa/Voodooclub track is sourced from vinyl, playing the MP3 at a lower speed reveal some nice hidden pops and crackles at the beginning. I try to imagine that Warp installed soulseek for that release … :biggrin:

Back to topic. I bought it instantly when it was released but I was thinking that it was designed by TDR. It's rather minimal but don't look really bad and it looks like the artwork for Tri Repetae. When I was listening I first didn't realized the bad suffering of the sources but was hooked when I reached the glitch error in the Heroes piece.

Well, well, after all it seems there is at least a vinyl release of this as a bootleg running there. But I must say, tracking the originals down is hard work, since some of the releases are hard to find or at least only shared with a good amount of collectors money.

Guest sirch

the worst warp signing of all time has to be maximo park though :wtf:

i like/liked Maximo Park.

never really listened to any Battles, Gravenshurst, Grizzly Bear, etc. etc., tho.

could never really be bothered with any of that sorta thang that came after m park.

t'was around the early-mid 2000's was definitely the end of the Golden era for Warp, and the start of a new (Hipster-esque) one.

Every new story like this I hear about warp, the more I hate them.

What has happened to warp...?

Oh right, shit like battles, grizzly bears, etc etc etc.

:cry:

woah woah, you best not be dissin' Battles. They're IDM as fuck!

.. then again, I did have to strongly convince people here that Pivot/PVT were worth checking out, too many people dismiss them because they have a live drummer and guitarist.

I can see the appeal to battles but it's just not my thing I guess. What I meant is more so that the wave of artists similar to battles kind of signaled an end of a different warp era....

Now there are a ton of artists similar to battles and it's kind of taken the scene over.

I pine for the days of aphex, squarepusher, LFO, plaid... the black dog......

It's just a different dimension of Warp I suppose.

Tbh I don't know wtf I mean. :emb:

well at least Pusher and Plaid are still making/releasing good stuff. :)

Edited by sirch

This thread has delivered on all kinds of levels. Thanks guys! :flower:

This version of Heroes sounds so much better than the one on the compilation.

who cares, the soundquality of the heroes mix is great and the track is gay anyway

And warp records rule, shame on you all, if they didn't sign new fresh talent, it wouldn't be warp and they would be bankrupt waiting for da aphex twin

Guest spprw

this seems odd, though. would any other label have the rights to release a compilation like this though? most likely not. warp could have issued an injunction stopping the whole thing. that is unless this other label was just going to put out a white label/bootleg kind of thing. I just don't understand warp's mad scramble and panic to get this out by any means necessary before some other label put out something they had no rights to in the first place (unless they weren't going to credit it to "Aphex Twin", but there would still be an issue.)

and yes, the thing about the songs being issued exclusively in japan is relevant. it's a copyright thing. they are national protections, so for the same reason you'll find uploads on youtube of 'stone in focus' and 'hankie' from SAW2, but many of the other tracks from the same album get taken down through a copyright claim. these songs were never released in the united states, so the since there's no american copyright on them, no one seems to mind them being uploaded.

Well, this is a interesting story and a nice insight in Warps behaviour regarding this release.

By the way: The Boa/Voodooclub track is sourced from vinyl, playing the MP3 at a lower speed reveal some nice hidden pops and crackles at the beginning.

hah! I was actually just going to ask about this. you can hear it at its regular speed

Edited by spprw

Guest spprw

battles, by the way, seem like they would be best appreciated live. they are a band I would see live but not buy any of their albums

this seems odd, though. would any other label have the rights to release a compilation like this though? most likely not. warp could have issued an injunction stopping the whole thing. that is unless this other label was just going to put out a white label/bootleg kind of thing. I just don't understand warp's mad scramble and panic to get this out by any means necessary before some other label put out something they had no rights to in the first place (unless they weren't going to credit it to "Aphex Twin", but there would still be an issue.)

and yes, the thing about the songs being issued exclusively in japan is relevant. it's a copyright thing. they are national protections, so for the same reason you'll find uploads on youtube of 'stone in focus' and 'hankie' from SAW2, but many of the other tracks from the same album get taken down through a copyright claim. these songs were never released in the united states, so the since there's no american copyright on them, no one seems to mind them being uploaded.

:facepalm:

battles, by the way, seem like they would be best appreciated live. they are a band I would see live but not buy any of their albums

Actually I prefer their recordings. They didn't do much in the way of deviating from the recorded versions when I saw them live.

Guest spprw

Actually I prefer their recordings. They didn't do much in the way of deviating from the recorded versions when I saw them live.

really? I would've guessed the complete opposite; like their studio work was the restrained version

really? I would've guessed the complete opposite; like their studio work was the restrained version

RIP spprw, another one bites the dust, he was one hell of an afx fan though :beer: