IGNORED

Did Warp really use mp3s for some tracks on 26 Mixes?

Guest spprw

Well I mean, there are other reasons to lowpass a track while mastering. But yeah given JR's info mastering from a lower quality source would make the most sense.

That's cool, but since this is FACT.....can I at least have 1 SHRED of evidence? I mean besides Joyrex Imagining...

if you own the CDs of 26 Mixes For Cash, the evidence is right there. All you need to do is listen. Or if your ears are as fucked up as your head is, you could try putting them through a spectrograph.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this, but I'm gonna come right out and tell you that you are an annoying fuck, much like the religious cultists.

bpXHj.jpg

Edited by mcglockers

That's cool, but since this is FACT.....can I at least have 1 SHRED of evidence? I mean besides Joyrex Imagining...

if you own the CDs of 26 Mixes For Cash, the evidence is right there. All you need to do is listen. Or if your ears are as fucked up as your head is, you could try putting them through a spectrograph.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this, but I'm gonna come right out and tell you that you are an annoying fuck, much like the religious cultists.

Funny, religious cultists believe what they are told WITHOUT proof. Oh and eat a dick.

Funny, religious cultists believe what they want to believe, even though proof contrary to what they believe is staring them in the face. Oh and you were wrong.

Hey now, there's a difference between poking fun like I did and being rude and mean. Chill.

Multiple people have mentioned the multiple pieces of evidence that MadnessR demanded, yet it still wasn't satisfied.

Edited by oscillik

Guest spprw

I think you missed the point - WARP nor the other label had 'rights' to release these tracks as a compilation (the other label was either seeking the rights or planning to release this as a bootleg), and the reason WARP scrambled to beat them to the punch was to prevent another label from making money off the Aphex Twin name (the other label could have easily released it as "Aphex Twin's Mixes Compilation" and Richard/WARP would have gotten no credit beyond any royalties due them (and it wouldn't have featured the SAW II and Windowlicker remixes). They couldn't have issued an injunction or any sort of legal remedy to stop this being released as they didn't have the rights to begin with.

maybe the laws are different in the uk/eu, but it would not be ok for someone to release something with that name 'aphex twin' on it, even if it were only in the title. of course, given that it is a compilation, most of the songs belong to different copyright holders, so they are not going to have the rights to them, but he was under contract to warp, so they would have a 'right' to challenge it

And you're barking up the wrong tree in regards to tracks being on YouTube - it all boils down to how protective labels want to be in ensuring they are being compensated for their copyrighted works being used. As it stands, you'll find quite a few Aphex Twin tracks on YouTube, and Warner or WARP aren't issuing takedown notices to YouTube, are they?

no, but from what I remember there were different circumstances surrounding the selected ambient 2 album. I dont remember the label that handled things stateside w/ regard to that album, but it was different from all other aphex twin releases in america

Well, they acquired the rights to the tracks, hence why they released the compilation. As for it having anything to do with Richard's contract at WARP - I dunno if it would count as an album towards that. Then again, that was the last Aphex Twin release on WARP, so he might have fulfilled his contract with them with 26 Mixes...

oh god I hope this isnt true

Guest kwikshot

Heroes is only available in it's full quality on a really obscure Japanese 3" CD release I think.

Obviously they couldn't get past the what.cd interview

Guest ruiagnelo

Heroes is only available in it's full quality on a really obscure Japanese 3" CD release I think.

Obviously they couldn't get past the what.cd interview

LOL

Guest spprw

The Heroes Remix was definitely sourced from mp3 as Warp (and Richard apparently) could no longer locate the DAT; looking at the 26 Mixes copy through a spectrogram reveals this.

lol, I never knew.... I guess this is pretty rare then? *insert smug grin*

r0N7k.jpg

how much?!

I think you missed the point - WARP nor the other label had 'rights' to release these tracks as a compilation (the other label was either seeking the rights or planning to release this as a bootleg), and the reason WARP scrambled to beat them to the punch was to prevent another label from making money off the Aphex Twin name (the other label could have easily released it as "Aphex Twin's Mixes Compilation" and Richard/WARP would have gotten no credit beyond any royalties due them (and it wouldn't have featured the SAW II and Windowlicker remixes). They couldn't have issued an injunction or any sort of legal remedy to stop this being released as they didn't have the rights to begin with.

maybe the laws are different in the uk/eu, but it would not be ok for someone to release something with that name 'aphex twin' on it, even if it were only in the title. of course, given that it is a compilation, most of the songs belong to different copyright holders, so they are not going to have the rights to them, but he was under contract to warp, so they would have a 'right' to challenge it

And you're barking up the wrong tree in regards to tracks being on YouTube - it all boils down to how protective labels want to be in ensuring they are being compensated for their copyrighted works being used. As it stands, you'll find quite a few Aphex Twin tracks on YouTube, and Warner or WARP aren't issuing takedown notices to YouTube, are they?

no, but from what I remember there were different circumstances surrounding the selected ambient 2 album. I dont remember the label that handled things stateside w/ regard to that album, but it was different from all other aphex twin releases in america

Well, they acquired the rights to the tracks, hence why they released the compilation. As for it having anything to do with Richard's contract at WARP - I dunno if it would count as an album towards that. Then again, that was the last Aphex Twin release on WARP, so he might have fulfilled his contract with them with 26 Mixes...

oh god I hope this isnt true

Sure they could release something with the name 'Aphex Twin' on it - they can't claim it's an Aphex Twin release, but they certainly could say "A Compilation of Remixes by Aphex Twin" (although I would certainly hope they are more creative with a title than that) and not have to pay royalties for use of the Aphex Twin name, since they are not releasing his music, but music he did under contract to other artists/labels. This is done all the time with "Now This Is Music Volume XX" compilations, or tribute albums (although in most cases the artists being honoured give their blessing to the compilation in question). Also, it's unknown if the other label planning on releasing the compilation was doing this on the up and up, versus making a cash grab, as it were.

Guest sirch

bpXHj.jpg

Lol. must've been oscillik's time of the month.

Guest spprw

Yes they did, but it's ok becos they converted them into wavs using special equipment, and wavs are way better quality.

I really hope this was a joke.

• 3 weeks later...

I still don't understand why they cut the MBM remix in half. If it was to do with space on the CD then any number of drossy fillers could've been omitted instead.

so wait, did anyone who was contacted by warp actually provide them with mp3s or flac files?

WARP wasn't asking for people to provide MP3s or FLAC files; they wanted the original CDs to master from...

r0N7k.jpg

so i have a rarity then! (and i was thinking about selling it... aaaah NAAAW! :w00t: )

Heroes: Top - From original release, Bottom - From 28 Remixes for Cash

331_1350027.jpg

Your Head My Voice: Top - From original release, Bottom - From 28 Remixes for Cash

331_1350028.jpg

oh bugger... now i really need to make a proper compilation of remixes myself... :sad:

r0N7k.jpg

so i have a rarity then! (and i was thinking about selling it... aaaah NAAAW! :w00t: )

Heroes: Top - From original release, Bottom - From 28 Remixes for Cash

331_1350027.jpg

Your Head My Voice: Top - From original release, Bottom - From 28 Remixes for Cash

331_1350028.jpg

oh bugger... now i really need to make a proper compilation of remixes myself... :sad:

You can hear the difference?