IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I didn't like Fez because it was a bad platformer and a bad puzzle game. I was expecting more "self-contained" puzzles, puzzles that implied problem-solving: here are your resources, here's your objective, solve that shit, which is the fun thing about puzzles. But Fez is not about problem solving apart from a few rooms, it relies a lot on cryptic messages and obsesively looking for clues. The puzzles were not well designed imo.

I played this when it first came out and I can't give you a better review as I don't remember it that well

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy

I didn't like Fez because it was a bad platformer and a bad puzzle game. I was expecting more "self-contained" puzzles, puzzles that implied problem-solving: here are your resources, here's your objective, solve that shit, which is the fun thing about puzzles. But Fez is not about problem solving apart from a few rooms, it relies a lot on cryptic messages and obsesively looking for clues. The puzzles were not well designed imo.

I played this when it first came out and I can't give you a better review as I don't remember it that well

Solving cryptic messages is not the same as solving cryptic puzzles?

I really can't agree with the bad platformer aspect either - For me a platforms success is reliant on atmosphere and more importantly character control, and the feel of immediacy in controlling the wee guy is spot on. If I over/undershoot a jump I always feel that it's my fault rather than dodgy play mechanics, and the character of each region of the game world is distinct and perfectly rounded.

A question (not sure if I can ask this without the answer being a spoiler) - do you get taught the language that's throughout the world or do you have to do it by deduction (ie lots of similar characters might therefore lead to an 'e' character). Also I've got to a couple of treasure chests that seem completely out of reach - do you get an upgrade to your jumping (a la metroidvania type games) of are there secret routes in order to get there ?

I really can't agree with the bad platformer aspect either - For me a platforms success is reliant on atmosphere and more importantly character control, and the feel of immediacy in controlling the wee guy is spot on. If I over/undershoot a jump I always feel that it's my fault rather than dodgy play mechanics, and the character of each region of the game world is distinct and perfectly rounded.

A question (not sure if I can ask this without the answer being a spoiler) - do you get taught the language that's throughout the world or do you have to do it by deduction (ie lots of similar characters might therefore lead to an 'e' character). Also I've got to a couple of treasure chests that seem completely out of reach - do you get an upgrade to your jumping (a la metroidvania type games) of are there secret routes in order to get there ?

There's a Rosetta stone for the vocabulary, but the you'll only get the clue if you're familiar with a certain English saying (poor puzzle design, as it only works witih players that have grown within an specific cultural context). And no, you don't get upgrades to your jumping.

Also you just reminded me of another poor design choice: most of the time you don't know if you're not supposed to be able to reach some items, or if you just have to work it out; you don't know if you can already reach it with what you have, or if you have to keep exploring. That's just plain bad design.

Moved all the Fez chat to here.

BTW the above post reminded me, has anyone had the same frustration as me with Swords and Sorcery? I'm right near the end now (90% complete) and I've spend the whole game pretty much wondering what/where/when the hell to go. I've never had a game that seemed so poorly directed as I have with this. And it's a shame as the rest of the game is bloody fantastic, but I've spent so much of the game just aimlessly wondering around the map in normal and dream worlds until something gets triggered. I'm actually stuck what to do to finish it and have been for months, I've had the big Twin Peaks type concert and assumed I just had to go up the hill as per the beginning, but nothing is there (in both worlds, and in various moon combinations). So yeah, its was such a disappointment for potentially such a superb game.

Guest jasondonervan

Moved all the Fez chat to here.

BTW the above post reminded me, has anyone had the same frustration as me with Swords and Sorcery? I'm right near the end now (90% complete) and I've spend the whole game pretty much wondering what/where/when the hell to go.

I haven't got as far as yourself, but have played enough to know what you mean. I love the art style, but a couple of sections have woeful sign-posting. It's why I'm kind of not as bothered as I might have been about Below being an Xbone exclusive (for now). I'm sure it will be good, just not good enough to help sell a console to me, based on the developer's previous form.

Upgrade to PS+, can get Deus Ex: Human Revolution and XCOM Enemy Unknown for free.

Are these good or are these shitty pls

Guest Shadow GriZZly

Anyone played The Swapper? Not sure about the gameplay, but visually it looks stunning and atmospheric as hell.

Check out this trailer

I'll probably try it next week, but would like to read some opinions.

Deus Ex Nihilum

Fan mod alternative world DX where you are the first nano aug'd UNATCO agent, you get sent to hong kong to investigate a terrorist attack (false flag!!!!)

Really in the spirit of DX, interesting maps, lots of exploration, some new items and weapons.

Even the quality of the voice acting matches the original perfectly

Edited by phick123

Human Revolution is absolutely worth it. Amazing game and soundtrack.

I haven't played it but heard bad stuff about the new XCom

how come noone is talking about the last of us yet? im about 3 hours into the game, love it. the entire intro sequence is fucking nuts.

how come noone is talking about the last of us yet? im about 3 hours into the game, love it. the entire intro sequence is fucking nuts.

i cant because im not going to pay 60 bucks for a game.

when its 30 im all over it.are the reviews generally positive?

Guest Shit Attack

started gta4 again. didnt like it the first time and quit early on for some reason. its actually really really good/10

i cant because im not going to pay 60 bucks for a game.

when its 30 im all over it.are the reviews generally positive?

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/652686-the-last-of-us/articles.html?sort=6

Guest Iain C

I literally dusted off my ps3 and brought it out of a cupboard for the first time in a year in order to impulsively buy this game - I'm a sucker for a good survival horror. And this is a very good survival horror.

Naughty Dog is a subsidary of Sony so yeah, very slim. Fantastic game. It breathes good game design and has some of the most detailed and subtle character animations I've ever seen.

Guest jasondonervan

I've been dividing gaming time between The Last of Us and Animal Crossing: New Leaf over the dreary weekend (pissing it down non-stop = perfect gaming weather). They couldn't be any more different, but both provide great gaming experiences in equal measure.

Bleep pre-order got through to my AC town...

tumblr_moi2ktolKw1spvmh6o1_400.jpg

Currently on 103.5% complete of Fez with loads to do (only got about half the anti-cubes and am yet to decipher the language), anyone know how high the percentage goes ?