IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I beat Rogue Legacy today, and re-beat Transistor. Both of these games are GOTY nominee's for me. Transistor prolly edging out Rogue Legacy for story telling.

seriously though, show me a $299, sleek gaming rig that runs games as well as the ps4, where all the future games are optimised for the hardware I'm sitting on. Please, because I'd probably buy that.

I don't really give a shit if people buy consoles, but I wish people would just build PC's so there would be no more exclusives. It fractures the community in an unfortunate way. Also, if you buy console you just end up paying the difference(somewhat) in what you pay for games and online services. The mark-up for console games is ridiculous compared to PC. Even brand new PC games can be got at a discount if one knows where to shop. Console games on the other hand remain at a pretty steep price in comparison regardless of age.

What's even funnier is that the consoles are being made more and more like cheap PC's. Offering built in streaming capabilities, browsing, app support, etc. So the difference is almost entirely the titles that you are able to play. It seems silly to me. PC's I think are cheaper in the long run as well, because they stay relevant longer, and can be upgraded slowly with parts that are not marked-up for no reason (console peripherals). As well as being able to use parts like computer cases for very long periods of time. I think it would be really nice to have 1 community vs 4 communities or whatever. You also get a lot greater ability to interact with early development games and things of that nature with PC. Consoles also sometimes interfere with the quality of games being developed because developers have to work so hard to create cross compatibility which in turn limits the performance of the game on PC. Not just graphically, but also mechanically.

I agree there is a convenience to the console, but I think it is very slight and PC is capable of a similar convenience, and overall more rewarding experience. (also agree with the sentiment about PC's being useful in all areas of your life. consoles are for the most part limited to gaming and living room entertainment.)

(PS4 is $400)

Edited by AdieuErsatzEnnui

a6e36e6389.jpg

Oops.

I also usually play through the Portal games around this year for some reason. Been trying to beat the Half Life games for the first time ever though (on episode 2).

Edited by Xyrofen

Guest bitroast

Why does the assassins creed character always wear a hoodie?

I get that he's an assassin i guess and wants to remain in the shadows, but when the character is appearing in old time areas where hoodies arent prevalent pieces of clothing it would do the exact opposite effect of making the character blend in the background.

I was just thinking about the games and why i dislike them so much, and im starting to think alot of it is the hoodie.

It wouldnt be so bad if the hoodie was maybe there and sometimes he wore it when sneaking in the dark, but he wears the thing on all the time, in broadlight, crowded areas, all the time!

I get its an artistic thing to make the player look cool. Make the the character iconic. But the stupidity of it overwhelms me.

Anyway, not even playing the AC games. Currently playing FTL a bit.

Why does the assassins creed character always wear a hoodie?

I get that he's an assassin i guess and wants to remain in the shadows, but when the character is appearing in old time areas where hoodies arent prevalent pieces of clothing it would do the exact opposite effect of making the character blend in the background.

I was just thinking about the games and why i dislike them so much, and im starting to think alot of it is the hoodie.

It wouldnt be so bad if the hoodie was maybe there and sometimes he wore it when sneaking in the dark, but he wears the thing on all the time, in broadlight, crowded areas, all the time!

I get its an artistic thing to make the player look cool. Make the the character iconic. But the stupidity of it overwhelms me.

Anyway, not even playing the AC games. Currently playing FTL a bit.

there's so much that doesn't really make sense in the AC series, hoodie or not

it's a pretty overrated series anyway

Guest jasondonervan

Meanwhile, over at Sony, the PS3 is getting a new revision in Japan:

PS3-CECH4300-JP-Ann.jpg

Still the Super Slim design with 500GB hard drive, but with refined/cheaper internals as is the tradition with PS hardware as it marches through the Autumn years of it's lifetime... and thus a price drop and new model number (CECH-4300C). We'll probably see it outside of Japan eventually, but there is probably still loads of stock in the supply chain of the current models in most countries.

Just downloaded Puppeteer (PS PLUS YO) and looking forward to that tonight. However it does remind me that I need a PS3 with a bigger HD: downloading a 11 gig game requires 22 gig of space and my 80gb one barely has the room, what with other games / GTA V's massive install on there. Oh how I envy the 500gb PS3!

Also, replaying Surgeon Simulator on PC. Not a PC gamer at all but man it's fun.

Just downloaded Puppeteer (PS PLUS YO) and looking forward to that tonight. However it does remind me that I need a PS3 with a bigger HD: downloading a 11 gig game requires 22 gig of space and my 80gb one barely has the room, what with other games / GTA V's massive install on there. Oh how I envy the 500gb PS3!

FYI - the hd is easily swappable on all PS3 builds. You just buy a standard 2.5'' laptop HD and it'll format the drive good to go !

FYI - the hd is easily swappable on all PS3 builds. You just buy a standard 2.5'' laptop HD and it'll format the drive good to go !

Yeah, a friend at work asked me how easy it was and I was surprised to find out even a luddite with no hand control like me could do it quite easily. Y'know, now might be as good as time as any to take the plunge.

If I wasn't so lazy...

If you are gonna do it, look for a hybrid SSD - you get a big performance boost from a regular drive at a little extra cost. No idea how they work but I've one on my laptop and it made a huge difference (N.B. this is different from a normal SSD which are still pretty darn expensive - this is a regular spinning disk but with a magic chunk of SSD that does some kind of witchcraft to cache frequently used files)

If you are gonna do it, look for a hybrid SSD - you get a big performance boost from a regular drive at a little extra cost. No idea how they work but I've one on my laptop and it made a huge difference (N.B. this is different from a normal SSD which are still pretty darn expensive - this is a regular spinning disk but with a magic chunk of SSD that does some kind of witchcraft to cache frequently used files)

Duly noted! My old ps3 needs all the help it can get.

Preorder DLC for Hyrule Warriors has been broken down by vendor:

Amazon - Twilight Princess DLC

GameStop - Ocarina of Time DLC

Best Buy - Skyward Sword DLC

Club Nintendo - unspecified free DLC

I'm kinda disappointed Nintendo is already playing the DLC aggravation game. No doubt it will be made available later for all players, possibly free.

An SSD won't help a PS3 much at all - the interface is SATA I, and to see the speed benefits of a SSD, you need SATA II (ideally 3 - even the PS4 isn't SATA II and putting an SSD in that makes a nominal difference in load times).

Hybrid SSDs work on caching, but again the bottleneck on the PS3 is the bus (SATA I), so caching won't gain you much either.

seriously though, show me a $299, sleek gaming rig that runs games as well as the ps4, where all the future games are optimised for the hardware I'm sitting on. Please, because I'd probably buy that.

For $100-$200 more you could have one with considerably better hardware that's 100% backwards compatible, runs DAWs & Photoshop, doesn't have a monthly online fee, and has most AAA titles for $20 or less if you exercise a little patience.

You forgot to mention all the viruses, driver issues, and hardware incompatibility issues you get with a PC as well - not to mention having to buy a new video card ever few years so you can run the latest and greatest games as they were intended. Oh, and the fact that new video cards cost as much if not more than a PS4...

An SSD won't help a PS3 much at all - the interface is SATA I, and to see the speed benefits of a SSD, you need SATA II (ideally 3 - even the PS4 isn't SATA II and putting an SSD in that makes a nominal difference in load times).

Hybrid SSDs work on caching, but again the bottleneck on the PS3 is the bus (SATA I), so caching won't gain you much either.

Thanks for more info! The note I made duly before has been unnoted lol

You forgot to mention all the viruses, driver issues, and hardware incompatibility issues you get with a PC as well - not to mention having to buy a new video card ever few years so you can run the latest and greatest games as they were intended. Oh, and the fact that new video cards cost as much if not more than a PS4...

Yeah I forgot to mention them because they haven't been problems since Windows 7 & Steam. Not that you'd know.

Anyone smart enough to set up a messageboard account is smart enough to be able to read system requirements & download/install a driver.

As for the games 'as they were intended' argument, most console games that aren't console exclusive are about Low-Medium graphical settings/resolution on their PC counterparts, so that doesn't really hold up either. A top shelf video card's life cycle is about as long as a game console, and only a select few are as expensive as a new console and you can get better than console graphics easily on a 2nd or 3rd tier model.

Edited by autopilot