IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

crusader kings 2 - 3-5 assgasms per hour of gameplay

seriously fucking amazing, though the soundtrack needs to be much bigger for a game on which you spend tens of hours at least.

do what i do, if youre a big medieval music buff just mute the sndtrk. and play that stuff in the background.

Europa Universalis II had an AMAZING era-appropriate soundtrack...and then they made this generic crap for EUIII.

far cry 3 - loving it, great game.

Lego batman 2- wtf, why did they have to change the mission selection from just selecting the next mission on a map in part one, to making it extremely tedious in part 2 riding through a city? Weaksauced,

crusader kings 2 - 3-5 assgasms per hour of gameplay

seriously fucking amazing, though the soundtrack needs to be much bigger for a game on which you spend tens of hours at least.

do what i do, if youre a big medieval music buff just mute the sndtrk. and play that stuff in the background.

Europa Universalis II had an AMAZING era-appropriate soundtrack...and then they made this generic crap for EUIII.

i googled up this thing: http://www.ancientfm.com, seems very serviceable.

and i just completely lost my kingdom of ireland (good suggestion to start with it though, small duchies are really the best way to learn the game it seems) in a stupid succession war (seniority succession fail) after consolidating it nicely for ~30 years, and now i'm left with an imbecile duke with 2 counties and no army.

I bought Far Cry 3 really cheap. Haven't heard anyone say anything bad about it yet. So I can't wait to play it, even though I hated Far Cry 2. But I'm waiting for the christmas holiday before I start playing it.

I've heard some hilarious things about some of the characters in the game. Apparently they are all a bunch of 'rich kids of instagram' douchebags/douchebaguettes who has a lot of bad things happen to them?.. I like that.

Also you level up by getting fucking tribal tattoo's. Can this game get much more dudebro'ish? lol

Edited by Npoess

Street Fighter X Mega Man is available for FREE to celebrate Mega Man's 25th anniversary - I can't provide a download link as Capcom's servers are getting hammered with everyone trying to download it.

It's for Windows, by the way.

and i just completely lost my kingdom of ireland (good suggestion to start with it though, small duchies are really the best way to learn the game it seems) in a stupid succession war (seniority succession fail) after consolidating it nicely for ~30 years, and now i'm left with an imbecile duke with 2 counties and no army.

And this is what makes Crusader Kings 2 so much fun.

Guest cult fiction

Just started playing Black Knight Sword:

Seems good so far - like a mix of Monty Python, Dark Souls, and Castlevania. Music by Akira Yamaoka(Silent Hill).

Guest Brian Sweeney Fitzgerald

Street Fighter X Mega Man is available for FREE to celebrate Mega Man's 25th anniversary - I can't provide a download link as Capcom's servers are getting hammered with everyone trying to download it.

It's for Windows, by the way.

Thanks for the tip! The servers have eased a bit now, here's the download link for the US and the download link for the EU.

Just started playing Black Knight Sword:

Seems good so far - like a mix of Monty Python, Dark Souls, and Castlevania. Music by Akira Yamaoka(Silent Hill).

I downloaded the demo for it - extremely bizarre gameplay, very creepy music (very good too), but seemed a bit repetitive and didn't warrant any further interest from me.

what i wrote elsewhere about Trials Evolution's (and origin of pain map pack) user created tracks when someone asked whether it was worth buying Trial Evolution or Trials HD.

If you play Evolution first, you might not be able to go back to TrialsHD, I know I probably couldn't now, just because the best thing about Evolution are the user created tracks which on TrialsHD you could only access from people on your friends list who'd created a track, which made it useless. I bought the Origin of Pain map pack because there were certain user created tracks I couldn't try out. Some are extraordinary, some of the best 5 minutes of a game i've played since...Limbo. There's several Lord of the Rings tracks (one of the shire too) that are ace to go through, the creator has the option of using a tranquil soundtrack instead of the heavy metal Redlynx seem to always use, so it makes for a really nice atmosphere, even when you're repeating the same part over and over. They're addictive to play because there's an unpredictability and individuality to them that the Redlynx tracks lack.

Some have simple ideas that I don't understand why Redlynx haven't used, like Red and Blue, where you ride on a red track, then click the thumbstick to change to the blue track, timing it right. There's one where you're in a tornado, one where you go through stargates, one like portal, one under the sea, one based on castlevania, one where you escape from a bank heist where at one moment you jump over onto a bridge and the camera cuts to inside the police car as you skid past. There's one where the track spins, flips and rotates as you approach it, one where a robot that loosk like it's out of Wallace and Gromit marches along at your pace in the background, as you help it and it helps you progress through the level (i wasn't paying attention on that one, it might be neither). There's one where you're seemed to be stuck in some kind of creepy plush toy land, it's a swamp, where you begin the level they're all looking directly at you, they're brown and made of stone, and have liquorice sweets for eyes and mouths, one hovers up from the water, another zips around like a beaver, there's a soft dreamy lullaby playing as well. And there's just something refreshing about playing a game that doesn't feel like it's been designed by a robot. There's some that are just weird, there's flying ships stalking you, you find yourself surrounded by mushrooms, then you're caught in a bubble and start to rise, or another where you're moving slowly but the cars in the background have been sped up and are moving in and out, and then you have to manoeuvre diagonally backwards through these gates...it's strange.

Some are genuinely beautifully paced, such as the LOTR ones, I must have attempted this part where you have to basically roll backwards over an edge several times and reach the bottom about 30 times, and every time beforehand I had to drive up a hill and jump over a gap, and there's these blue flames lighting the track and thick tree chunks in a kind of zig zag alignment in the background, barely visible through the thick fog. The gap is so well judged, you don't have to try too hard to make it, you kind of just float over it.

I might feel this way about Little Big Planet's user created levels had I ever played it, but the difference with Trials is that it's more fun to ride through levels than run through them. There's something about the silence of it, if you decrease the sound fx volume, and the recurring image of this little bike flying through the air, it's the best way to showcase these levels I think. Some of the creators know how to tap into that kind of vibe. It kind of proves what I've always thought, if normal people could express themselves through videogames, they'd become interesting again.

Guest Frankie5fingers
http://www.playhawken.com (Free To Play) ((Now in Open Beta))

Hawken-Screenshot-16.jpg

I just watched some gameplay vids and this looks like a lotta big trashy fun

edit: not sure about the mech designs though... although the environments look awesome

the more i see this game the more i dont want to get it. i dont know why either. something just feels "off" with all the things ive seen about it. still gonna try it out though and hopefully this is just in my head and i end up loving it.

what i wrote elsewhere about Trials Evolution's (and origin of pain map pack) user created tracks when someone asked whether it was worth buying Trial Evolution or Trials HD.

If you play Evolution first, you might not be able to go back to TrialsHD, I know I probably couldn't now, just because the best thing about Evolution are the user created tracks which on TrialsHD you could only access from people on your friends list who'd created a track, which made it useless. I bought the Origin of Pain map pack because there were certain user created tracks I couldn't try out. Some are extraordinary, some of the best 5 minutes of a game i've played since...Limbo. There's several Lord of the Rings tracks (one of the shire too) that are ace to go through, the creator has the option of using a tranquil soundtrack instead of the heavy metal Redlynx seem to always use, so it makes for a really nice atmosphere, even when you're repeating the same part over and over. They're addictive to play because there's an unpredictability and individuality to them that the Redlynx tracks lack.

Some have simple ideas that I don't understand why Redlynx haven't used, like Red and Blue, where you ride on a red track, then click the thumbstick to change to the blue track, timing it right. There's one where you're in a tornado, one where you go through stargates, one like portal, one under the sea, one based on castlevania, one where you escape from a bank heist where at one moment you jump over onto a bridge and the camera cuts to inside the police car as you skid past. There's one where the track spins, flips and rotates as you approach it, one where a robot that loosk like it's out of Wallace and Gromit marches along at your pace in the background, as you help it and it helps you progress through the level (i wasn't paying attention on that one, it might be neither). There's one where you're seemed to be stuck in some kind of creepy plush toy land, it's a swamp, where you begin the level they're all looking directly at you, they're brown and made of stone, and have liquorice sweets for eyes and mouths, one hovers up from the water, another zips around like a beaver, there's a soft dreamy lullaby playing as well. And there's just something refreshing about playing a game that doesn't feel like it's been designed by a robot. There's some that are just weird, there's flying ships stalking you, you find yourself surrounded by mushrooms, then you're caught in a bubble and start to rise, or another where you're moving slowly but the cars in the background have been sped up and are moving in and out, and then you have to manoeuvre diagonally backwards through these gates...it's strange.

Some are genuinely beautifully paced, such as the LOTR ones, I must have attempted this part where you have to basically roll backwards over an edge several times and reach the bottom about 30 times, and every time beforehand I had to drive up a hill and jump over a gap, and there's these blue flames lighting the track and thick tree chunks in a kind of zig zag alignment in the background, barely visible through the thick fog. The gap is so well judged, you don't have to try too hard to make it, you kind of just float over it.

I might feel this way about Little Big Planet's user created levels had I ever played it, but the difference with Trials is that it's more fun to ride through levels than run through them. There's something about the silence of it, if you decrease the sound fx volume, and the recurring image of this little bike flying through the air, it's the best way to showcase these levels I think. Some of the creators know how to tap into that kind of vibe. It kind of proves what I've always thought, if normal people could express themselves through videogames, they'd become interesting again.

Trials Evolution is my second game of the year. Endless replay value.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

LoL, I dunno what you suspect is off about it Frankie5fingers, everything about Hawken makes me jizz in my pants. Since the first announcement trailer I was like: yes, this is the game I need. It plays and looks in real time better than I hoped for when I began dreaming of it's greatness back when it was mostly just a dream. Hawken is a boner endless pipe dream cream scheme.

Guest Frankie5fingers
LoL, I dunno what you suspect is off about it Frankie5fingers, everything about Hawken makes me jizz in my pants. Since the first announcement trailer I was like: yes, this is the game I need. It plays and looks in real time better than I hoped for when I began dreaming of it's greatness back when it was mostly just a dream. Hawken is a boner endless pipe dream cream scheme.

i dont know either! lol. thats what i dont get. maybe its just the fact that its an MMO that i dont like. im just not a MMO kinda guy. all of my MMO experiences have been rather disappointing. but like i said, im definitely gonna try it cause i need a new mech game.

This is probably the most generic looking game I've ever seen:

In my eyes, about 95% of all games released nowadays look like that. It's a sorry turn of events of such a creative medium that this has become the norm.

This is probably the most generic looking game I've ever seen:

In my eyes, about 95% of all games released nowadays look like that. It's a sorry turn of events of such a creative medium that this has become the norm.

Agreed - Insomniac (makers of Ratchet and Clank and the Resistance series on PS3) are behind this, and for their first cross-platform game, they went with what looks like an incredibly generic sci-fi shooter.

Should have been Naughty Dog that went multi-platform instead.

Anyway.. Insomniac games are overrated. The older Rachet & Clank games where fun. But man those Resistance where awful (haven't played the third one though). EA probably wanted a Gears Of War (the second most generic looking game ever) clone. So they made Insomniac do it.

And this is the result.

I predict this will be a MOH: Warfighter in terms of reception and sales. Everything EA is near, turns shit these days.

edit: and that just reminded me.. Has anyone seen Dead Space 3? Another example of mediocre looking game, and a franchaise they are probably going to fuck up.

Edited by Npoess

Should have been Naughty Dog that went multi-platform instead.

Anyway.. Insomniac games are overrated. The older Rachet & Clank games where fun. But man those Resistance where awful (haven't played the third one though). EA probably wanted a Gears Of War (the second most generic looking game ever) clone. So they made Insomniac do it.

And this is the result.

I predict this will be a MOH: Warfighter in terms of reception and sales. Everything EA is near, turns shit these days.

edit: and that just reminded me.. Has anyone seen Dead Space 3? Another example of mediocre looking game, and a franchaise they are probably going to fuck up.

Now, let's not go overboard - Dead Space 3 will probably be as awesome as the first two, so don't assume just because EA is publishing it, they have any input on the game - Visceral Games seems to be very independent in that regard, and I would hope Insomniac is likewise. Resistance 1 & 2 were good, not great games, and I haven't played 3 either (still sitting from last Christmas!), but it was received fairly well like the previous two. I suspect in this regard, EA is just being a publisher rather than hiring a studio to create a game for them (aka MoH).

I'll also add the MoH games were shit because they were shit, not because EA published them, but because they chose a studio that didn't know what the fuck it was doing (wasn't it Sledgehammer Games or some studio like that?). The first MoH game exemplified that in the single player was shit (Sledgehammer), and the multiplayer was great (DICE).

Me and my friends can't stop playing PlayStation Allstars Battle Royal. They got it for my B day and I must say it does an excellent job standing out along side Brawl.