IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Almost like Selected Autechrian Works Volume II? Great fun to shuffle and sink into as well if the track order becomes numb. The only other albums I sometimes do this with are SAW2 and the Gas records.

Positively surprised. Good album!

Guest Roksen Creek

The second disc just gets weirder the more I listen to it. It's surreal. Psychedelic. Odd.

It's opening up like a bizarre alien flower.

I love this album so much. Been listening to it nonstop since release. I think it's the best thing they've done since Draft, maybe Confield. I'm so glad they brought the beats back. Queersauce, OS, and MoT failed to leave lasting impressions.

For those that are complaining about the last 3 albums, it's probably to do with number of songs.

As album listeners, a lot of us are drilled into thinking that a classic album needs like 7-12 songs. 5 or 14 at the most extreme. So when a trio of albums come along with 20, 14 & 17 tracks respectively, It can be a lot for some mere mortals to take in. Especially given the 2 hour running time.

Really liking Exai so far, it's another beast in itself yet again.

Enjoying the album much with repeat listens. Still hearing new things with repeat listens so I'll take a while before I find any real critiques with it, or I just won't bother for a change.

For nearly every nitpick regarding a track I can find something sweet buried within, every listen I hear new details or some idea they were playing with that I didn't hear the last time around.. It's almost like their senses are sharper than they've ever been.. like the microsound references (esp playing with thresholds between pitch-delay), the things they are doing with spacialization and mixing esp in the treble, and all the little constant changes in the textures and how the parts work together, weaving in and out of each other. And technicalities aside it's just so easy to soak into and float away in. Sooo good.

Guest pixelives

Fingers crossed for a dual disc EP to be announced in the spring

since this is a double disc, I wouldn't be surprised if they shun tradition with an accompying ep.

Maybe a shorty 3 or 4 songer like the early days. Not the basically almost album length ones of recent. I think Spring is too early however, either way. June or September would be my guess if anything.

And technicalities aside it's just so easy to soak into and float away in. Sooo good.

That's the key. I think it resists a rational inventory of the "goods" and "bads" of each track. Overall it's really quite ambient (I agree with the other person who said it's like SAW2). Very good album to work to.

Guest pixelives

I agree. I always thought that Untilted was good to work, as well. After an Adderall and three espressos. :tongue:

This is different than that tho. There are a lot of big washy textures that somehow become more pronounced the more acclimated to the beats you become.

And technicalities aside it's just so easy to soak into and float away in. Sooo good.

That's the key. I think it resists a rational inventory of the "goods" and "bads" of each track. Overall it's really quite ambient (I agree with the other person who said it's like SAW2). Very good album to work to.

^Same, agreed, I mean as a musician/producer I'm happy to stop and analyse/criticize the technique, but at the end of the day it's really all about evoking moods+headspaces...

^Same, agreed, I mean as a musician/producer I'm happy to stop and analyse/criticize the technique, but at the end of the day it's really all about evoking moods+headspaces...

I think exai did a great job of this for me.

Really put me through a number of different feelings, most of it was a sense of adventure and awe, like waking up on a different planet.

Just want to chime in and say there seems to be a lot of dislike for runrepik... If it's your least favorite, you're kind of a dick.

You'll proclaim it among your favorites next week, at which point you will be correct.

<3

Edit: What a treat of an album :)

Edited by Retrig

Guest pixelives

Just want to chime in and say there seems to be a lot of dislike for runrepik... If it's your least favorite, you're kind of a dick.

You'll proclaim it among your favorites next week, at which point you will be correct.

<3

Edit: What a treat of an album :)

I love that trkk

I like runrepik just for the rubber-ducky noises, the rest of the track can go fuck itself (in the ass (and then disappear up its own ass (in true Ae fashion)))

And that's what it's all about. And I don't get the love for bladelores other than this epic thread, but next week I'll be jizzing myself straight to the forehead over it. Great album, overall :)