IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

I still don't see the point of there being promos though. I mean, reviews will be done with or without promos, and if they are trying to acquire new listeners would it not be better that those prospective new Ae fans could hear snippets of the album through bleep immediately after reading the review as opposed to forgetting about it a month later when it finally releases?

I dunno it just doesn't really make sense to me for someone like Autechre.

Guest pixelives
I still don't see the point of there being promos though. I mean, reviews will be done with or without promos, and if they are trying to acquire new listeners would it not be better that those prospective new Ae fans could hear snippets of the album through bleep immediately after reading the review as opposed to forgetting about it a month later when it finally releases?

It's just part of the business. Ae are no different than anybody else. People like exclusive things. Journalists like to get schmoozed by labels and they also like to consider themselves and their opinions part of the zeitgeist. Wether or not that's true, welll.

Guest pixelives

Also with the web, instead of print, labels like the reviews to come out right before or as close to release date as possible. Not a month or two later like in the print days. This gives journalist plenty of time to get to know the release.

reviews will not be always be done without promos. i won't review a movie if i dont get to see it early. i want to write about it the day the movie gets released in my country. it's no use reviewing if it's already out and i didnt get to see it early. that's how it works.

Also with the web, instead of print, labels like the reviews to come out right before or as close to release date as possible. Not a month or two later like in the print days. This gives journalist plenty of time to get to know the release.

yup!

Edited by Franciscus

To keep this boards paranoia levels alive (and make yet another tiny step towards the 100 pages bet), do you think them AE-boys are actually waiting for this thread to reach 100 pages to release the digital review files? (and as such the leak...)

* foils tinfoil cap out of thin air*

To keep this boards paranoia levels alive (and make yet another tiny step towards the 100 pages bet), do you think them AE-boys are actually waiting for this thread to reach 100 pages to release the digital review files? (and as such the leak...)

* foils tinfoil cap out of thin air*

sure, so lets get it going!!!

For a change...let's play - Off topic attack!

Nitric oxide as both a vasodilatator and under certin circumstances a cytotoxic molecule is suggested as one of the critical mediators of severe sepsis and septic shock.

btw on the subject of promos and that I also think its pointless. Look at Burial, his last EP came out with no promo at all and still got hyped on the internet and reviewed etc. Also David Bowie created far more buzz around his new single simply by the fact that it just came out and no1 knew.

You do have to be already well known for that approach to work, but autechre are, so just suddenly releasing something with no announcement before hand and zero promotion would still generate them a big buzz with zero effort and would prevent leaks. I think its just warp being old school with how they do things

Guest Aserinsky

I've always assumed that the early announcements have always been pragmatic decisions to justifying releasing the deluxe vinyl sets rather than about hype. I'd imagine it takes a fair while for the vinyl to get manufactured and rather risk an unannounced leak of a new Autechre album on the way Warp simply just say that it'll be released as soon as. Rather than just releasing it digitally and then run a small pressing for enthusiasts though they try to squeeze out as many pre-orders as possible (maybe there's more money to be made there?) and try to 'reward' people that purchase the most expensive package by promising them they wont have to wait longer to listen to the record come release day. I mean Warp have been around long enough to know how to rinse their audience dry the best way to serve their fans, sure there's some reasoning towards this.

i think the most hyped release that i can think of was radiohead's in rainbows and all the hype surrounded the release method.

Edited by jules