IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Do any of you think this big spunkfest of a thread is a bit weird?

I do.

Just think about it for a minute.

Some of you spend more time writing about these tunes than actually listening? I think you do.

You realise we'll continue to listen to this album from here on, right?

Edited by ambermonk

Guest Roksen Creek

yep, recks on is totally referencing netlon sentinel.

I love it.

Seriously, this album is Autechre's definitive masterpiece. I can't quite comprehend how good it is.

Move aside Chiastic Slide, we have a new champion.

let's not get carried away...imo there's no single track on this as memorable as Nuane

It's shaping up to be a great album...but I can't see it surpassing Chiastic...

(well, who knows....)

Well maybe I am getting a little carried away. Chiastic is hard to top.

We will see after a few more listens.

I am a hostage of irlite (get 0)

Love that track!

me too... i keep forgetting that it continues after the break in the middle, and then i'm like OOOOOF

More spooge: I missed YJY UX before from not giving Exai my undivided attention. Probably the most underwhelming track. The FM bass in the middle reminds me a lot like that Team Doyobi remix on the ICASEA comp from 2011 which is kinda cool. Overall, though, it feels to me like they were going for a morose but sunny kind of closer similar to what Pan Sonic did with "Arktinen" for the second disc of Kesto, but the byzantine aesthetic makes it come off as awkwardly smug for me.

i'm digging it so far….more than i thought i would.more than oversteps.

my pal who turned me on to ae in 93 hates it and said it sounds the same as all of their stuff.

i beg to differ.

by nature ae is noodly and chaotic/random.

i thought that was part of the appeal?

i am enjoying it more than ufabulum as it is more complex,interesting and not really nodding to any genre but their own.

there is a ton of stuff going on and i can see spending a lot of time letting this one soak in.

sub bass is killing in many spots,sub woofer is a must to shake proper nutsack/uterus.

my gf says its "industrial" but she didn't mean that in the classic/typical sense.

I've now done Quaristice seamlessly into Oversteps into Exai on headphones and the stereo image on exai is much wider in a disconcerting way... many elements that would normally be mixed to sound in front of you are pushed to the sides. in prac-f it leaves an emptiness directly in front of you, kind of feels like travelling down a dark tunnel in a train car.

by the end of the track things start swooping down from the ceiling at you

Edited by Polymershapes

Guest disoriental express

@ Polymershapes

I agree, exai creates the hugest and most deceptive aural spaces i've experienced. it is menacing in its ability to make you feel small. even still, it is completely luxurious and captivating.

Edited by disoriental express