IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Yeah it is not the quaristice variety hour (x2) I thought it might be. Definitely a progression from livesets+MOT funk trax (ethegon/rew1) put thru an IDM 2013 (or 2001?) grinder.

yep disc 1 feels real homogeneous except for prac-1 being hella swingy and first few minutes of blaaaadelores changing the pace/mood. disc 2 I have saved for tonight.

I reckon it is obviously great. Very dense. So many great ideas and sounds. Seems like maybe it is composed for live shows, but then filtered/effected/layered/obsessed over while still maintaining the ass-kicking vibe (mainly in bassdrum/snare/bassline interplay) rather than de-constructing to the nth degree. It isn't sparse/sterile/clinical, and there are some nice warm textures. It's all up in yr face.

The one (only) thing I did not dig was the sudden volume drops near the end of bladelores where the synth-wash layer on the entire L or R channels are dipped quite dramatically (the broken headphones effect). harsh effect dudes.

broken mp3/spectral intro w/ dat snare :wub:

the FX modulations in the background of flep :wub:

bladelores funky bassline triplets :wub:

1000 other things :wub:

aside from spl9, disc 2 sounds move of ten-the-fucked-OUT, sound quality-wise.

no idea what gear they're using, but it sounds CRISP

i'm guessing lots of software, but i dunno...

The people who said this album didn't have it's own feel/sound/world are wrong. There is a definite feel shared by all the tracks.

I remember pixelives said each track was like in its own world, incorrect.

Listened for the first time at work today. First impression: "that's a lot of nasty FM, and agressing HPing".

Second impression: "God damn this album is funky!"

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, as I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone else thought that this sounds more like Gescom than Autechre?

agreed with all of that. i mentioned the Gescom feel in Flep in particular. i'd have excused the existence of nodezsh and runrepik if they were on a Gescom album. ;)

Are you saying that you don't like these tracks, or just that they sound too Gescomy to be on an Autechre album? I say this because nodezsh has been the standout track for me so far, and makes a lot of sense to me as an Autechre track. It walks the perfect line between Oversteps and Move of Ten.

Quaristice is much more of a headphones record than Exai... which is much better on speakers. The bass is essential and the higher frequencies are painful in headphones actually.. i'm sad about that.

these opinions formed on akg k240s

Edited by Polymershapes

Guest bitroast

yeah. first listen was headphones and it sounded amazing.

second listen was on speakers nice and loud. and it was even more amazing.

it's a speaker album for me, too.

it's such an evocative, visual album. psychedelic is an accurate description.i can almost imagine it having 70's style prog art as opposed to some black and grey squares.

eg.exai.jpg

I agree. I don't think the current artwork does the album much justice. The only way the current artwork works on the imagination is the hint of a secret meaning. It's a code, waiting to be unlocked. But what would that code unlock? Something far more imaginitive than the current artwork suggests, I would think. So this artwork is just that: a code without much of a hint about the art it hides. And visually it's just too much minecraft, imo.

Listened for the first time at work today. First impression: "that's a lot of nasty FM, and agressing HPing".

Second impression: "God damn this album is funky!"

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, as I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone else thought that this sounds more like Gescom than Autechre?

agreed with all of that. i mentioned the Gescom feel in Flep in particular. i'd have excused the existence of nodezsh and runrepik if they were on a Gescom album. ;)

Are you saying that you don't like these tracks, or just that they sound too Gescomy to be on an Autechre album? I say this because nodezsh has been the standout track for me so far, and makes a lot of sense to me as an Autechre track. It walks the perfect line between Oversteps and Move of Ten.

yeah i don't much care for them yet. i'm only a few listens in though, so those sorts of things can change. they sound a bit Gescom-y to me, yeah...i was mostly making a joke on what i'd expect from Gescom vs. what i'd expect from AE. hopefully i'll start enjoying them more.