IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

OK, after 12 million listens to nodezh I will now listen to 1 1 is for like 42000 times. Loving the kind of machine sound part starting at 4.20 kinda Lentic Catachresis 2013. LC + Murcof Urano: My absolute favourite "not traditional music" peaces.

Edited by Guest

2:47 is an example of the awesome crackly lightning pads sound. They swirl around your head like static iridescent fireflies trailing multicolored geometric lysergic penumbras behind them

Thanks for your thoughts on the Java tea :happy: Listened to this just on poor PC speakers, on my real stereo I listened not properly to it... Seems like it works best with headphones.

In surprised reviewers are finding this hard going/ challenging. To my ears it's the easiest Ae listen for ages... In fact since tri rep (apart from 1st track and spl9.) Even Oversteps is a stranger album. It is polished and accessible much of the time.

Edited by Lianne

LOL theres an Exai review on pitchfork. 5.9/10

I hate pitchfork

lol, i am not surprised, they never understand electronic music

I think the reviewer's on there are just hyper critical. It's like they take pride in somehow being able to tear great albums down, as if that puts them higher than the music like they're smarter than the artists.

I don't know why but I always get this impression from pitchfork reviews, like the guy on the other side of the review has a serious inferiority complex.

I hate pitchfork

I don't know why but I always get this impression from pitchfork reviews, like the guy on the other side of the review has a serious inferiority complex.

Or a small penis.

yea enough with that stuff. even if they gave exai a 10. who cares.

fleure is actually starting to take hold of me now. what a great opener. it took awhile.

meh. Just talkin.

I think Fleure is great! But it took me a couple listens too.

I wish the second half of 'recks on' wasn't so bare. It's just that simple beat, droney (pretty straight) analog sounds, and vocal synth stuff, with occasional simple interruptions, as far as I can tell. Many moments like this on Exai sound like live jams that haven't been edited much, or pretty half-baked (or at least stripped) ideas. Then other bits almost sound more dense and detailed than anything else Autechre have done! It's weird. On track 2 the 'jammy' aspect work for me, though (and works amazingly!) I am trying to enjoy those other bits. I know if I had heard them from another artist I wouldn't bother quite as much, though, as there's not much to bother with. It's not like, 'what the hell is happening here!? Brain overload!', nor is it so minimal and repetitive that it challenges me: gets me in the zone another way... It's more...'meh'.

I found spl9 to be more "2 halves"!

I thought spl9, especially the last 2 minutes, to be like rdj's didgeridoo(sp?) but in the year 5094. It really sounds like a digital didgeridoo doesn't it?

Guest ZombieLincoln666

I hate pitchfork

Even when they gave Confield an 8.8?

Guest ZombieLincoln666

yeah because that was just cashing in on the "give us credit because we listen to experimental music" bullshit

1. Learn to use quotes

2. Stop being a cynical moron

Thanks!

I hate pitchfork

Even when they gave Confield an 8.8?

Oh ok, you're right.

proto-tuinorizn @ 1.16.40 (last track): http://soundcloud.com/recman/26marzo2010

proto-runrepik starting @ around the 34 minute mark or so.

nice catch! the melody/atmospherics definitely seem to be rooted in the same thing if not the very same. the beat has changed a lot though...which makes me notice what about runrepik i don't much like, and a lot of it is the drums and the effects of the melody...just seems a bit too much.

i don't remember if i ever heard this set, gonna have to give the full thing a listen soon.